Love This Kit

Push

I know that for some reason there is some sort of running joke about Mapex on this forum, but, I don't take this kit out often to gig with and I should because I am always amazed at how good they sound.

I have a number of other kits including Ludwig and Pearl to name a few, however, I think I'm going to make this my go to kit. The kick drum is heavy as hell, but I'll learn to deal with it. Took it out last night for the first time in a long time and the sound just blew me away.

Mapex062213_zps622eb242.jpg

They are great kits and well-spoken of here other than the running joke, which is due to a former member who would pick fights to defend their honor, even when said honor was not being besmirched.

The lights make it hard to tell, what finish are they?

The Saturn series is fantastic. Don't let the jokes fool you, or anyone else into thinking otherwise.

Beautiful Kit !! I am a new owner of a 2013 Saturn MH in Granite Sparkle and could not be happier. I tried many different brands before settling on the Saturns, to my ears they have a different sound than most of the others, and thats what I was after, so take those out as often as you can !! I've found my arms are getting bigger just from moving the set from gig to gig ... LOL ! enjoy !

Peace

That is a nice kit and a nice picture. Peace and goodwill.

I know that for some reason there is some sort of running joke about Mapex on this forum

If only it was funny... I'm finding it a bit annoying now.

Love the kit, f$@k the haters.

:)

If only it was funny... I'm finding it a bit annoying now.

Love the kit, f$@k the haters.

:)

C'mon.. .. it was funny.

I got the chance to play a Saturn recently. Great sounding kit. There's no hating.

Don't be annoyed. Turn your badges around and..

.. MAPEX SATURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

I've been considering picking up a Saturn for a while... I think what turned me off of the latest version are the ridiculous mounts on the floor tom and bass drum. As a working drummer I jam my vehicle full of gear and I don't need my cases to be any bigger than they already are... The brackets mounting off the lugs just makes it very difficult to case. It looks as though they've sorted it out on the Saturn IV. I'll likely pick one up sometime in the next year once some used ones come on the market.

I'm guilty as charged. I am perpetuating the joke.

However, I think the Mapex Saturns are great drums, my running joke is just because of "he who shall not be named". So whenever you hear the jokes running, it's all in good clean fun. We all know Mapex Saturns do not affect the weather, or cure cancer, or babysit the kids.

But, if you have the badges facing outward at your opponents, they're like the Avengers ;)

I played some serious jazz tonight with my quintet on my Saturn Manhattan kit. I am proud to show my badges right out in front for all to see.
I love my Saturns!

However, I think the Mapex Saturns are great drums, my running joke is just because of "he who shall not be named". So whenever you hear the jokes running, it's all in good clean fun. We all know Mapex Saturns do not affect the weather, or cure cancer, or babysit the kids.

But, if you have the badges facing outward at your opponents, they're like the Avengers ;)

Blasphemy! Shun the non-believer! Shun!

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the badges either, but, all of the other qualities and characteristics of these drums far outweigh the gaudy badges.

Also, I don't seem to have too much trouble fitting these drums into standard soft bags. A little tight due to some of the HW, but, not a problem.

I'm doing some recording this weekend and of all of the kits that I have, I'm going to take these Saturns into the studio.

BlueSky72013_zps17564e05.jpg

Last edited:

Even we Saturn owners who know the root of the joke perpetuate it, and bask in the knowledge that we are right...

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the badges either, but, all of the other qualities and characteristics of these drums far outweigh the gaudy badges.

Also, I don't seem to have too much trouble fitting these drums into standard soft bags. A little tight due to some of the HW, but, not a problem.

I'm doing some recording this weekend and of all of the kits that I have, I'm going to take these Saturns into the studio.

BlueSky72013_zps17564e05.jpg

I find the toms fit fine, but the bass drum is a pain in the armpit. I use protection racket soft cases and they are a tight fit, but manageable, so long as you fit the case to the drum (don't try and put the drum in the case, you'll be there all night) and line up one of the spurs with the handle on the side of the case. If I had to buy the cases again, I'd get a 24 for my 22.

I love the badges, I just wish they weren't on the drums...

Back