DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Paiste ownership decimated for now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
People go where the jobs are, and San Francisco and the surrounding region has most of them. As for the cost of living, you just end up with people who each live with at least four or five roommates. We can thank the current administration for giving more tax breaks to the super wealthy, further decimating the middle class and forcing many into homelessness.
Let's not go political here. Any economic state blamed on any executive branch is clearly conjecture. Steer clear.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Okay I have 2 questions and 1 comment, here goes:

1. What does the other side of the radio sound like?

2. What are they serving you for lunch? Seriously I want to know. If they serve you lunch, that is some serious customer service. I can't get work to serve me lunch and I make THEM money.

As for traffic, hassle, and quality of life, move to Northwest Arkansas. The traffic sucks, but we have clean air, one of the lowest costs of living in the country, a huge cover/rock band scene, and Guitar Center.

Just kidding about GC, we have one, but they suck.
I was making an old school (possibly racist) statement from the 50s and 60s when some of my idols stated that they would stay up late and catch the "black music" broadcasts that they might pick up over state or national lines on their radios. I wasn't meaning to be racist, but imagine if you just listened to one type of music on the radio and then suddenly decided to listen to other stations - life really was like this up until the 90s.

And lunch could be anything - just depends on who's deciding to drive where. It's Hollywood.

And believe it or not, I may be living out towards your neck of the woods. We're traveling to Nashville this September to visit friends and Pearl headquarters. I'm also looking for real estate. I realize if I sold my house in California, I could buy a small home cash and have profit left. Who wouldn't want to live without a house payment? I'm looking into my retirement eligibility and I'm told once I hit 20 years and am age 55 or older, I can retire. Well, that's only four years away!

I might just be able to do gigs and own a house! who knew?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Everyone was drunk and stayed up till 2, sometimes not sleeping at all, gambling, steak eating and drinking all on the company sales accounts from the various vendors.
Sounds like any other day at the office to me mate.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I was making an old school (possibly racist) statement from the 50s and 60s when some of my idols stated that they would stay up late and catch the "black music" broadcasts that they might pick up over state or national lines on their radios. I wasn't meaning to be racist, but imagine if you just listened to one type of music on the radio and then suddenly decided to listen to other stations - life really was like this up until the 90s.

And lunch could be anything - just depends on who's deciding to drive where. It's Hollywood.

And believe it or not, I may be living out towards your neck of the woods. We're traveling to Nashville this September to visit friends and Pearl headquarters. I'm also looking for real estate. I realize if I sold my house in California, I could buy a small home cash and have profit left. Who wouldn't want to live without a house payment? I'm looking into my retirement eligibility and I'm told once I hit 20 years and am age 55 or older, I can retire. Well, that's only four years away!

Interesting expression, I had never heard it before. In no way did your usage come across as racist. Think I'm gonna start using it as "trying something new".

Tennessee is very pretty. I've been there a few times. The Smokey mountains are gorgeous (I'm partial to mountains and the woods). My only negative experience with Tennessee was playing Memphis in May. The club we were booked in was a backdoor hole in the wall dump in a shady part of town. It was kinda scary.

Back to Paiste, I've always wanted to check out that side of the radio too, but are a bit beyond my budget. Can't really find any used here either. Pawn shops are good for cymbals here, but it's all Zildjian or Sabian. I acquired a set of 404 hats in a trade, and even though they are B8 they seem to be a bit more polished? than other B8s I've had in the past. I like them.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Interesting expression, I had never heard it before. In no way did your usage come across as racist. Think I'm gonna start using it as "trying something new".

Tennessee is very pretty. I've been there a few times. The Smokey mountains are gorgeous (I'm partial to mountains and the woods). My only negative experience with Tennessee was playing Memphis in May. The club we were booked in was a backdoor hole in the wall dump in a shady part of town. It was kinda scary.

Back to Paiste, I've always wanted to check out that side of the radio too, but are a bit beyond my budget. Can't really find any used here either. Pawn shops are good for cymbals here, but it's all Zildjian or Sabian. I acquired a set of 404 hats in a trade, and even though they are B8 they seem to be a bit more polished? than other B8s I've had in the past. I like them.
Like I said, it's a kinda bucket list thing for me. Being a kid in the 70s the only choice really was Zildjian. Everywhere I went, there were new Zildjians, and a ton of used ones being bought and sold. And then being programmed because my heroes played them, it was the only real choice back then. There were no boutique cymbal makers that made anything that sounded good, either.

But Paiste always had these colorful adverts in Modern Drummer, and then it was the same thing for me: nobody would have all the models you read about, and when they did, they were really expensive. So the neighborhood noisy kid wasn't going to deliver even more papers to help buy them. Getting the parents to buy Zildians was already tough!

So now in my 50s, I have some extra cash and am going to try some of those vaunted Paistes! And even then, they're not the Paistes I always wanted to try since the Signatures and Masters didn't exist back then. But I remember a friend had some 404's back in the 80s and although they didn't compare to the 2002's or 602's, I thought they were better than Zildjian's Scimitar line. The Paiste 505 line back then was even better, getting closer to the 2002's.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Any economic state blamed on any executive branch is clearly conjecture.
Conjecture? You're kidding right?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

I'm a big Paiste fan but only for the Signatures.. Something about that shimmery pure sound just gets me.. and the Signature sound edge hihats are a joy to play. But they are expensive.. I basically sold a bunch of Sabians and Zildjans and cashed them in for the last cymbal set I'll ever need Haha..
Old 09-02-2018, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I grew up in southern California and then moved to Portland, Oregon before moving overseas. My wife and I looked at buying a place in Nashville, since we really enjoy the city. However, the market has skyrocketed there with housing prices jumping 50-100% in a very short amount of time. We considered Austin, Nashville, and New Orleans - all big music cities - before finally deciding on New Orleans because of the more reasonable cost of housing.

And sorry to hear about your Paistes. I was a Zildjian player for many, many years and I, too, grew tired of the gonginess. I wound up switching over to Istanbul Agop, which I love. Having said that, Paistes have always interested me, so I may give them a shot as well.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
My wife and I looked at buying a place in Nashville, since we really enjoy the city. However, the market has skyrocketed there with housing prices jumping 50-100% in a very short amount of time.

Cost Of Living Is Surging In These Major Cities And
What It Could Mean For 2018
Old 09-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not surprised by that at all. Portland is insane compared to five years ago.

Last edited by Chunkaway; 09-02-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I also grew up in Southern California (Agoura) and later moved to Louisville. I later lived for 3 years in Nashville, then moved back to Louisville. Still in The 'Ville.

I really hated Nashville. It is very clique-ish. Hendersonville, Brentwood, Franklin, East Nashville wherever: where you live is important to these people. Not that SoCal isn't like that. But it was a different vibe. And it ain't LA so what do they have to be clique-ish about? The city and surrounding area is actually kinda ugly. It's like they have no zoning build whatever you want wherever you want.

If you want a musical city other than LA then it may be NOLA or Austin. I have worked on a lot of projects (IT not musical) in Austin. Austin is nice. Better place to live than Nashville.

NOLA is the best music scene anywhere as far as live music. Not sure I'd want to live in NOLA, though.

As far as cymbals and broadening your horizons, Bo, I meant you're stuck in some sorta nostalgia or world that precludes the best sounds available today: handmade Turkish cymbals from the smaller companies. You're missing out on some great cymbals by limiting yourself.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rattlin' Bones; 09-02-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Austin is nice. Better place to live than Nashville.

NOLA is the best music scene anywhere as far as live music. Not sure I'd want to live in NOLA, though.
Austin is way too hot. Not Arizona hot, but gross hot. And as for their music? I wouldn't call it "Live Music Capital of the World"; I would call it "Shit Music Capital of the World".

New Orleans is an incredible city, but the police force is so corrupt, they say that if a cop is trying to pull you over, you'd be best to keep driving until you're in front of the Police Station.

Turkish cymbals can be absolutely incredible, but they are also incredibly inconsistent. For consistency you want Paiste. For Turkish you want Paiste Masters.
The best Istanbul or Mehmet cymbal will be much better than anything around though.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also grew up in Southern California (Agoura) and later moved to Louisville. I later lived for 3 years in Nashville, then moved back to Louisville. Still in The 'Ville.

I really hated Nashville. It is very clique-ish. Hendersonville, Brentwood, Franklin, East Nashville wherever: where you live is important to these people. Not that SoCal isn't like that. But it was a different vibe. And it ain't LA so what do they have to be clique-ish about? The city and surrounding area is actually kinda ugly. It's like they have no zoning build whatever you want wherever you want.

If you want a musical city other than LA then it may be NOLA or Austin. I have worked on a lot of projects (IT not musical) in Austin. Austin is nice. Better place to live than Nashville.

As far as cymbals and broadening your horizons, Bo, I meant you're stuck in some sorta nostalgia or world that precludes the best sounds available today: handmade Turkish cymbals from the smaller companies. You're missing out on some great cymbals by limiting yourself.
So you’re approaching me as if there’s some kind of quantifiable measurement of “good” sound? I say you’re delusional. If you really work a lot, then you’d know the music you play dictates what sounds you use. Unfortunately “Modern Drummer” is a misnomer because the job hasn’t changed. Therein lies my thinking that sounds haven’t really changed either. And why so down on Paiste? You don’t think they’re capable of producing good sounds? Or do you ya e a relationship with these small Turkish cymbal makers where they’ll make anything you want?

If playing Paiste means “I’m stuck in nostalgia”.....does that even make sense?

Like I said earlier, I work for a living. So my “sounds” will be slightly generic to make other people happy. The support I get from these bigger companies is worth the peace of mind. I’m not the guy who shows up and forces his sound on other people’s projects - that’s what Terry Bozzio is for.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

That's interesting. My wife and I were just in Louisville this summer, and while we loved the downtown area, the rest of the city/area left us flat as it felt generic. It doesn't have anywhere near the music that Nashville does, which was a bit surprising, as we had heard differently before going there. A couple of locals actually told us they would move to Nashville in a heartbeat if they could.

I don't have any idea about Nashville being clique-ish, we have only visited there. I will say, while I'm not a fan of country music, in general, the sheer amount of live music going on in that city is impressive. NOLA has the same kind of thing going on, but a different kind of music. And we definitely paused for thought before buying a place in NOLA. Every place has its drawbacks to be sure.

I don't think of Istanbul Agop (as an example of a Turkish brand) are a small company any more. They are (or at least were) number 5 in cymbal sales. They are a fairly large presence in the U.S. at this point. I think a gigging/touring drummer would be well supported.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

The type of music and the number of venues Nashville has ain't nothing like NOLA. If you like generic bro-country pop then Nashville may be your place. Every "artist" has muscles and wears a cowboy hat and sounds like every other artist. Nothing original going on there it's all out of the same mold and model. More pop than anything now. Lots of recording and studios there, but the live music scene - while certainly more extensive than Louisville - isn't anything like NOLA.

If I want jazz and blues and lots of it and at highest levels it's NOLA or Chicago or New York for me. For generic pop have fun in Nashville you can have it all to yourself. For genuinely nice people and lots of rolling hills with thoroughbred horses I'll take Louisville-Lexington corridor.

But that ain't the topic anyway so let's stay focused on Bo's latest purchase dilemma of the hour or day or week or whenever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
That's interesting. My wife and I were just in Louisville this summer, and while we loved the downtown area, the rest of the city/area left us flat as it felt generic. It doesn't have anywhere near the music that Nashville does, which was a bit surprising, as we had heard differently before going there. A couple of locals actually told us they would move to Nashville in a heartbeat if they could.

I don't have any idea about Nashville being clique-ish, we have only visited there. I will say, while I'm not a fan of country music, in general, the sheer amount of live music going on in that city is impressive. NOLA has the same kind of thing going on, but a different kind of music. And we definitely paused for thought before buying a place in NOLA. Every place has its drawbacks to be sure.

I don't think of Istanbul Agop (as an example of a Turkish brand) are a small company any more. They are (or at least were) number 5 in cymbal sales. They are a fairly large presence in the U.S. at this point. I think a gigging/touring drummer would be well supported.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
I'm lost for words, as Sweetwater Music, has gone over and above and beyond for me in every way, including telephone calls to inform me of orders, etc. Truly outstanding service all the way around.
I agree that Sweetwater usually does a great job. They didn’t have the pack I wanted, and Brad basically made on up for me, and discounted it to near-pack price. I’d give them another shot before giving up on them...
Old 09-03-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
But it's nice to have a relationship with that shop. I call the owner and tell him I'm not making it because of the bad traffic, then he tells me he already told the Paiste rep to get him the cymbal I was talking about, so that was already ordered. I told him I needed a couple of other ones, and he never heard of the Masters Extra Thin, but he just sold his last pair of 2002 17" hi hats anyway. So he didn't have those for me to see. Both were added to the order.
That's great. There is a small shop near me, I told the guy I wanted a new ride cymbal, but he didn't have a big selection. He asked me which ones I was interested in, and he ordered 4 ride cymbals for me to come in and try out. I bought one, tried it at a gig, and felt like I made the wrong choice. He let me exchange it for one of the other ones I liked. Customer service like that is golden.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The type of music and the number of venues Nashville has ain't nothing like NOLA. If you like generic bro-country pop then Nashville may be your place. Every "artist" has muscles and wears a cowboy hat and sounds like every other artist. Nothing original going on there it's all out of the same mold and model. More pop than anything now. Lots of recording and studios there, but the live music scene - while certainly more extensive than Louisville - isn't anything like NOLA.

If I want jazz and blues and lots of it and at highest levels it's NOLA or Chicago or New York for me. For generic pop have fun in Nashville you can have it all to yourself. For genuinely nice people and lots of rolling hills with thoroughbred horses I'll take Louisville-Lexington corridor.

But that ain't the topic anyway so let's stay focused on Bo's latest purchase dilemma of the hour or day or week or whenever.
Yep, I agree with you.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Since this thread is all over the place the word decimate means to reduce by 10 percent. Sorry just had to go there, LOL
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Since this thread is all over the place the word decimate means to reduce by 10 percent. Sorry just had to go there, LOL
...or kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage of.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
I agree that Sweetwater usually does a great job. They didn’t have the pack I wanted, and Brad basically made on up for me, and discounted it to near-pack price. I’d give them another shot before giving up on them...
I give two thumbs up for Sweetwater also. I have dealt with them the last few years and their Customer service is top notch. I speak with my Sales Engineer every time I make a purchase, Clint is very knowledgeable about the product and is alway's helpful. I get a call every so often to just to see how past purchases have worked out for me. Mistakes happen with every Business but I have yet to flaw them on anything.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Austin is way too hot. Not Arizona hot, but gross hot. And as for their music? I wouldn't call it "Live Music Capital of the World"; I would call it "Shit Music Capital of the World".
Would that every Californian felt the same. We might yet save our fare city from the hordes of people flocking here from the west.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
Would that every Californian felt the same. We might yet save our fare city from the hordes of people flocking here from the west.
All of Arizona is a total pit too. Nothing to see here but cactus, snakes, big smokey diesel truck, horse manuer and red necks and Guitar Center. Keep driving...
Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I love the sound of good PAISTE cymbals, but not for more than 2 gigs, then its back to ZILDJIAN.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
All of Arizona is a total pit too. Nothing to see here but cactus, snakes, big smokey diesel truck, horse manuer and red necks and Guitar Center. Keep driving...
Sedona and surrounding area is totally righteous, bro; might retire out there someday. Also dig Scottsdale.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sedona and surrounding area is totally righteous, bro; might retire out there someday. Also dig Scottsdale.
No, no....it's all a pit! Just a bunch of rocks and weeds! Honest... :)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
No, no....it's all a pit! Just a bunch of rocks and weeds! Honest... :)
Was born in Arizona, and would never go back. I know people in AZ love it, so more power to them. Too much brown, too many shrubs/cactus, too much crushing heat. Sedona is beautiful but it isn't enough for me. Phoenix is a friggin' pit, in my opinion. But again, my relatives and friends that live there love it, so to each their own.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Let the Vortex flow through you. Become one with the Vortex. LOL

https://visitsedona.com/spiritual-we...t-is-a-vortex/