DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: A Non-Anonymous Section..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I will take indifference over that anytime.
For sure.

I listen to enough music. Generally, if I'm sitting at my computer I'm probably running Spotify. I'm loathe to stop what I'm playing to listen to some youtube drums, especially if there's no context or purpose other than that. If there's something explicitly informative or educational happening, maybe, but otherwise you can earn your spot on my playlist the usual way.

Moreover, I don't feel that I need a reference of anybody's playing to validate their opinion, or for anybody to need to hear me to validate mine. If somebody has a playing sample they can offer in context of a discussion, great, that's valuable and it adds some authority, but it isn't paramount.

If didn't want anonymity, I'd just join a Facebook group. Facebook has also shown that anonymity isn't necessary for critical bravery.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Somewhat related Re: covers in the your playing section.

I will comment on actual band videos. I like seeing them the most. Playing to a recording, doesn't do much for me, because whoever posted aren't actually driving the band, they are along for the ride. Which is fine but there's a big skill difference there.

Also if I critique someone's playing that I don't like....my choices are to blow smoke or be gently honest. I don't feel comfortable doing either of those things. Everybody is at their certain point in the journey. I can't critique playing to recordings because it doesn't actually show me how a drummer can drive a band. There's not enough info for a critique. I think everyone should self-critique anyway.

So now I just listen. It's too fraught with minefields of possible hurt feelings to comment. Not to mention coming off as superior in a way.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:39 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I appreciate the anonymity, particularly when it comes to that jerk factory Larry not being able to look me up and cast a witch's curse on me...
Jerk factory? Love it! Laughed multiple times. Stolen.

I'm a warlock not a witch you twit. So, you're ready for another whipping I take it. Last time, I beat you so bad you stopped posting. You really are a sucker for punishment. Hey happy to oblige!

Humiliating you is one of the highlights of my life, fact.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 AM
Gold Member

Many people have day jobs, and wouldn't otherwise be able to express many viewpoints, without privacy.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

I have no problem admitting who I am, but I have the same YouTube name, and with some digging my real name appears in some spots. The issue for me was that as soon as drummers in the metal world found out who I was I was getting WAAAAAY to many Facebook friend adds EVERY day. I had my "drummer" account but they just keep adding my friends/family one anyways. I was helping guys with settings, and advice for a while but it became too much and was getting messages at all hours of the day/night. I also like to keep a level of anonymity for Google searches if I look for jobs, end up with a weird stalker etc.

That being said I have no problems posting anything I have done, giving someone my real name on here, etc. If someone REALLY wanted to find me they would attend one of my bands gigs anyways.

In regards to a few previous comments this forum is where i frequent most due to the people. Some of the others are not moderated NEARLY as well, people troll, or are very critical as well. I find there is a good level of knowledge from many different types of people be it professionals, teachers, different styles of playing etc. Just be sure to take it all with a grain of salt. The internet is still the Wild West of knowledge. Even with real names people will troll and be jerks sometimes.

I for one enjoy constructive criticism as it makes me work harder. There is a large difference between that and trolling. The your playing section is a bit quiet, but what are you looking for here? This isn't an online lesson site with teachers going over every video to help. Not every one loves the same type of music. It wasn't really made for people to get praise every time the post. If it gets forced though people will just say "good job" and things like that.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
..In regards to a few previous comments this forum is where i frequent most due to the people. Some of the others are not moderated NEARLY as well..

Actually, i have the feeling that this forum hardly needs moderation at all, since things are almost never going out of line anyway..Thats a very rare thing on the internet and meant as a compliment..
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
He's gone to the DarkSide! He's over at Calculator World weasleing out the Miscalculators.. He's about as scary as a Taiwanese Tension Rod.
I don't know, it depends on where and how forcefully it's inserted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony?
Grunt do you remember that one guy back around 2011 or so who would program some crazy jazz stuff and play it off as if it was him playing ?

then someone somehow found out that he was some body builder dude who didn't even play drums ... they found out through his youtube channel somehow and exposed him

it was hilarious

people are strange man
Nelson Montana, or 'PlangentMusic'.

He posted up a whole load of 'drum covers' that were, in fact, programmed. Didn't like being called out.

The issue was that he's actually quite skilled in some respects. No sense of musicality whatsoever but a very decent bass player mechanically and could evidently play keys and guitar. Dreadful singing voice. 'Impressive' to somebody with limited critical faculty and/or experience but a true charlatan if you knew what you were listening to.

There he was though, on a drum forum, trying to pass off the one instrument he didn't play as being live. He didn't like being called out. Really didn't like it when I disagreed with him about anabolic steroids. Turned out he'd self-published a book about bodybuilding and was an advocate of their use. I can't remember if I referenced his manhood or not but I swear part of his anger issues were as a result of constant use of steroids over many decades.

Then he used to love bringing up his Dad's boxing record when he was being criticised for some reason. Unfortunately, I cross-checked it and he'd been getting it wrong and rather - exaggerating - the win/loss ratio.

It was as if everything he said was some manner of minor, compulsive lie.

He's still on YouTube.

My favourite unhinged will always be Glen.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I don't know, it depends on where and how forcefully it's inserted.

Nelson Montana, or 'PlangentMusic'.

He posted up a whole load of 'drum covers' that were, in fact, programmed. Didn't like being called out.

The issue was that he's actually quite skilled in some respects. No sense of musicality whatsoever but a very decent bass player mechanically and could evidently play keys and guitar. Dreadful singing voice. 'Impressive' to somebody with limited critical faculty and/or experience but a true charlatan if you knew what you were listening to.

There he was though, on a drum forum, trying to pass off the one instrument he didn't play as being live. He didn't like being called out. Really didn't like it when I disagreed with him about anabolic steroids. Turned out he'd self-published a book about bodybuilding and was an advocate of their use. I can't remember if I referenced his manhood or not but I swear part of his anger issues were as a result of constant use of steroids over many decades.

Then he used to love bringing up his Dad's boxing record when he was being criticised for some reason. Unfortunately, I cross-checked it and he'd been getting it wrong and rather - exaggerating - the win/loss ratio.

It was as if everything he said was some manner of minor, compulsive lie.

He's still on YouTube.

My favourite unhinged will always be Glen.

Hey! It lives!! The beast lives!!!

HTF are you? Long time, so see (or read??).

I think Glen was everyone's favourite. Poor soul.
TommyCanYouHearMe with his milk, seatbelts and host of other raving lunatic ideas was another highlight. The only two guys to have been banned and returned more than yourself, I reckon.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

All good here. Completing our purchase of a house today, trying to move on in my job and doing some side work and will hopefully be doing a big, big show (techie) in month or so in a 1,200 seat theatre...

Rumours of my death have been met with crushing disappointment from some here.

How are you, J?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Duncan!!!! Good to hear from you!!!!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
..The only two guys to have been banned and returned..

Sorry to quote this a little out of context, but am i the only one, when looking at the General Discussion-overview, who sees that Masterblaster posted there today the last reply in the 'Where you belong'-poll..?

Yesterday too btw, without the reply being there..

Just to be sure that the guy is not haunting me..lol..
Old 06-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Administrator - Mayor

That post was from May 2nd. I'm not sure why it says today.