DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM

Default A Non-Anonymous Section..?

I am allready quite some time wondering about something and when looking at a thread in the 'your-playing'-section, i thought now to start a thread with this question..

One of the biggest advantages of this forum is that all the information is publicly accessible for everyone around the world, member, no member, not mattering..

But one of the biggest disadvantages is that basically almost no one knows with who they are speaking here, because almost everyone uses just an anonymous username and thats that..No one knows in a lot of cases who these people are, what is their musical history, if they actually can play, etc..

In the 'your playing' section thread that i am referring to, i saw comments like these and i kinda agree with them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
..a whole lot of information being thrown around ... a lot of it quite useless ... and 99% of the people offering up the info no one has heard play..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
..I feel if you are going to comment you should, at least, contribute some and be a part of the community-no matter where you are in your drumming journey..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
..When I first logged on the DW, I figured we all had a responsibility to help each other with posting our playing, so we could each learn. A bunch of thumbs down and no comments later, I figured it wasn't worth the effort..

Now, my question is, if a non-anonymous section for this forum ever has been considered..?

And i am not speaking about some sort of elite-section..Just a section that also is accessible for everyone, no matter their level of playing, but where people only can enter if they share their normal name, some background information about their musical history and at least a representative recording or video of their playing..

Any thoughts on that..?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: A Non-Anonymous Section..?

People can still make-up a reasonable sounding names and playing history, I don't think that would solve anything. And a separate all-topic section means that specific topics will appear in a non-specific place.

As for info and opinions offered, I think we have to decide what sounds right to us. It should be obvious if someone is spouting off nonsense or just trolling, vs something that sounds reasonable and cogent, and is confirmed by other members.

Bermuda (my real name!)
Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

My real name is Bill... I just like the sound of Tommy D.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

At one time on this site there was a member who used someone else's drum photos as if they were his own. It took some time until he was finally busted, and his only given reason was that, he felt inferior to the group with the gear he owned and only felt more like part of the group showing a better drum set. Anyone could sign up for the non-anonymous section and still be quite phony. I would dare say that 50% of the members don't fill out much of the personal section, or fill out the info on their Personal page. That is their prerogative. In a time where people are more and more finding their sites have been hacked or their credit card info has been hacked from the local bank, reasons for remaining anonymous make more and more sense. I have a few ways to find out who people are on the internet, and not this site however, and I have no detective training whatsoever. Bernhard, Bermuda, his real name, and myself would have no way of verifying anyones true identity. There are many people on this site who have never posted a photo of themselves, or any Youtube, or other video showing that they know the first thing about drums. Forum rules even suggest " Do not post personal information or contact information, regardless of how easy it may be to find elsewhere." All done to protect your privacy and security.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
..People can still make-up a reasonable sounding names and playing history, I don't think that would solve anything. And a separate all-topic section means that specific topics will appear in a non-specific place.

As for info and opinions offered, I think we have to decide what sounds right to us. It should be obvious if someone is spouting off nonsense or just trolling, vs something that sounds reasonable and cogent, and is confirmed by other members.

Bermuda (my real name!)..

I agree..

But i was thinking more about a section like the 'your playing'-section, but with more the focus on people that are searching for some help or feedback that will actually be given..

And i think such a section would be treated much more useful and serious if everyone there at least is knowing who they are speaking with..

Also i can perfectly imagine that people would like to share their playing or to have some feedback on that, but when they look at the 'your playing'- section they get discouraged when they see a thread with 300 views and 1 reply that only says 'nice played' and nothing else..
Old 06-04-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
..At one time on this site there was a member who used someone else's drum photos as if they were his own. It took some time until he was finally busted..
Quote:
..Bernhard, Bermuda, his real name, and myself would have no way of verifying anyones true identity..

Thats true..

Maybe my idea was a little too much based on the thought that people would be honest enough to share their own work etc, instead of stealing other peoples work to make 'themselves' look better..

I havent thought about that..
Old 06-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote: "Also I can perfectly imagine that people would like to share their playing or to have some feedback on that, but when they look at the 'your playing'- section they get discouraged when they see a thread with 300 views and 1 reply that only says 'nice played' and nothing else.."

I rarely comment on videos unless I know who I am giving praise or advice to for the simple reason that there have been drummers on here who thought they were the next coming of Buddy Rich and any type of negative comment or advice would send them in to a tirade calling people every name in the book. I think that may be the pervasive thought or opinion. Some people have very thin skin.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Pretty much never used anything but my real name in forums. Real picture. Real location.

Though you might find some stuff where I play guitar, not much, making vids has never been part of my job description. I'm a teacher.

I actually do record a ton. Material for my students, that is.

If that makes whatever I say not valid to you..... hey.... you aren't the one paying my bills.

This is just a hang.

I've gotten some good tips here, so sometimes when I have the time and it feels appropriate I try to give back.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Maybe my idea was a little too much based on the thought that people would be honest enough to share their own work etc, instead of stealing other peoples work to make 'themselves' look better..
I want to believe the example that GD spoke of is the rare exception and not the rule. The majority of members that I have conversed with seem knowledgeable, friendly and polite. I enjoy being here and have received some sound advice over the years. After a while, you learn who's opinion to value. And, after a while you learn the playing level of some, just by the questions or response they provide.

As for me, I'm a 58 year old hack with a lot to learn.......and my real name is Tom - just like my signature below says

Let me explain this once more..
Snares are like handbags,
Cymbals are like shoes!
Old 06-05-2018, 12:24 AM

Doesn't it eventually become clear from their posting whether or not people are sincere and know what they're talking about ?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Administrator - Mayor

If it's really them...lol
Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
If it's really them...lol
Grunt do you remember that one guy back around 2011 or so who would program some crazy jazz stuff and play it off as if it was him playing ?

then someone somehow found out that he was some body builder dude who didn't even play drums ... they found out through his youtube channel somehow and exposed him

it was hilarious

people are strange man
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Grunt do you remember that one guy back around 2011 or so who would program some crazy jazz stuff and play it off as if it was him playing ?

then someone somehow found out that he was some body builder dude who didn't even play drums ... they found out through his youtube channel somehow and exposed him

it was hilarious

people are strange man
Exactly, and you're never as anonymous as you would think or could hope for. Can't see how bullies and trolls can't put this together. if they did, they'd be far more polite.

I have a code for any forum I participate in, and that is to NEVER say anything I wouldn't if a person was standing in front of me. In many cases, anonymity just keeps the snooping to a minimum.

One of the biggest issues with social media is divulging just enough for someone to put the pieces together and either use it for identity theft, a phishing scheme, or just plain figure out what you have and where you live and wait for you to be away. Way too much of that on FB already.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:

it was hilarious

people are strange man
There have been quite a few Tony and they get even more indignant when you call them on it.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

I'm me. no ifs, ands, or buts!

Last Name is in my user name; first name is in my avatar. Location is real too.

I kid around a lot in replies sometimes, but never toss Montana shoe shine around here.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:19 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I remember years ago when a guy wrote in to Mad Magazine, supposedly, and asked why so many of the names in the magazine sounded so strange. He signed the letter, Claderham Y. Squeeb.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:

it was hilarious

people are strange man
Did that sound like anything? If it did, you'd have to give the guy some kudos, cause it couldn't have been easy to program crazy jazz stuff good enough to fool knowledgeable people into accepting it as real playing by a real player... Unless it was just soloing stuff maybe, but I can't see any full ensemble playing being programmed with all its nuances in timing and dynamics, being done good enough to sound even remotely real. Though maybe I'm just naive and unaware of todays technological possibilities
Old 06-05-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
Did that sound like anything? If it did, you'd have to give the guy some kudos, cause it couldn't have been easy to program crazy jazz stuff good enough to fool knowledgeable people into accepting it as real playing by a real player... Unless it was just soloing stuff maybe, but I can't see any full ensemble playing being programmed with all its nuances in timing and dynamics, being done good enough to sound even remotely real. Though maybe I'm just naive and unaware of todays technological possibilities
no it sounded horrible

he would start a thread that was titled something like "Elvin Jones style" ... and attach a video with only audio of horribly programmed drumming to jazz backing tracks

if I remember correctly sometimes it sounded programmed decently I guess ... just sounded like a drummer who had no clue how to play jazz ... so he definitely had some programming experience

it was a long time ago... I'm sure someone here will remember the guy

he was here everyday just talking trash on everyones posts

someone here exposed him and started posting pictures of him and posting his weight lifting videos and he disappeared

funny stuff
Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
Doesn't it eventually become clear from their posting whether or not people are sincere and know what they're talking about ?
I reckon it does. It's not hard to tell who's been round the block a few times, simply by the content of their posts. I don't need to see them play to at least know they're speaking from experience.

Others might see it differently, but personally I've always found it pretty easy to identify who's got something to offer and who hasn't.

Quote:
... I'm sure someone here will remember the guy..........

...............someone here exposed him and started posting pictures of him and posting his weight lifting videos and he disappeared

funny stuff
I remember it well mate. Recalling it has given me a good laugh.

Pretty sure Duncan called him out. As he did many, many others. The greatest internet sleuth Drummerworld ever had. Which reminds me, where is Duncan? His ability to dismantle some of the more problematic and egotistic characters and get them to completely lose it and tip right over the edge, was legendary. I miss him and his acerbic wit.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Pretty sure Duncan called him out. As he did many, many others. The greatest internet sleuth Drummerworld ever had. Which reminds me, where is Duncan? His ability to dismantle some of the more problematic and egotistic characters and get them to completely lose it and tip right over the edge, was legendary. I miss him and his acerbic wit.
so glad someone remembers

am I recalling it accurately ?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I'm me. no ifs, ands, or buts!

Last Name is in my user name; first name is in my avatar. Location is real too.

I kid around a lot in replies sometimes, but never toss Montana shoe shine around here.
I had to google Montana shoe shine. Nice!

And I am pretty much as I represent myself on here with some small exceptions.

In real life I am a 22 year old heiress and swimwear model called Michelle. I stole the avatar pic to avoid unwanted attention.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Well I just like the GetAgrippa moniker-it just cracks me up. But when I post a video from Youtube-it's me. No I'm not the Coast to Coast Am dude-different spelling. I've had a million people ask me that. I note many people the same so our anonymity isn't absolute. Man that's pretty brazen and I'd think difficult to deceive everyone-which I guess they didn't for long lol. Use to be lots of "posers" on Wikipedia when I was insane enough to contribute to it-damn my altruistic nature. Hey had the same moniker there-come think of it. I guess I have to tell myself that a lot so it's easy to remember LOL.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Until you mentioned it I doubt I'd ever have been able to recall it happened. But as far as I remember, that's more or less how it went down. Some bodybuilder with a screw loose posting programmed jazz drum tracks and passing them off as his playing pretty much covers it.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

I use my real name. And that is me in my avatar.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hmmm, Not sure its the same guy, but there was somebody named 'PlangentMusic?' or something like that on here 2011ish, just after I joined. He came on very strong when new, very knowledgeable but definitely very cocky, did some pretty complicated covers (King Crimson etc), and apparently all on his Gretsch Catalina 12-14-18. The covers seemed way too good and didn't sound like such a kit. I think Duncan busted him for programming stuff.
Not sure its that guy. I don't recall him doing Elvin Jones.

Yes have not heard from Duncan...or another very cool guy 'Construct' for a long time.

I posted in MyPlaying once and got zero comments, but I'm a hack too.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

I could give you my full name...playing experience and even post a vid of my "best" work, but my replies and what threads I participate in would be the same. Perhaps the following will disqualify me from any further participation here due to lack of true value and experience as real drummer to be of any value to the forum, but here goes...(maybe a mod could contact me and let me know my services are no longer needed? lol)

I don't comment on teaching questions because I am "self-taught" and don't have a true drumming foundation from which to offer advice on such things. I can't read drum charts, haven't seriously studied grips or styles, bass drum technique, ostinatos, odd times, or anything from a teaching or technical standpoint. If I did comment on such things I would rightly be called out immediately. Because of this I do not consider myself a "real" drummer and in fact, I am more qualified to speak about trumpet playing because I had 6 years of that in school.

I do comment on hardware, kits, tuning basics, setup questions, heads, and the like. I feel confident to do so because of my years of experience with such things and feed back I have gotten on my kit sound.

I do comment on vintage Rogers a little bit because I own two sets of pre-CBS Rogers and have been playing them off and on since 1978 or so. I have played vintage Ludwigs and Sonors so I may sound off occasionally if I can answer a question on them.

I do comment on threads discussion worship and praise music as I have been playing this genre for over ten years (more like 15 years I think) steady. I feel I can add some helpful stuff about heart attitude, dynamics, focus, gear, and even some basic technique.

I do not comment much on the music business-especially the "real" music business of full-time musicians. I am not a full time musician, and have never made any "real money" playing music. I will comment on the audience side of the music "biz" though. Pretty much all of us should be able to do that.

Lastly, and what seems to have triggered this thread, is commentating on drum covers. Something I don't do much of. Not sure why. I have given a thumbs up to covers that I felt were well done on occasion and I have not given feed back of a critical kind because I simply do not feel qualified to do so most of the time. I do sense a real attitude in the cover players because they don't receive feedback on their videos while the rest of us are discussing "favorite drum keys" etc. Honestly, that type of attitude makes me even less likely to comment on a drum cover. If a bunch of drummers sitting around the water cooler discussing drum keys pisses you off that much I start to wonder what makes you so superior that you look down your nose at us? It seems petty and childish to me. Like..."I'm working my butt off over here trying to perfect my PLAYING and you guys all sit around over there TALKING about DRUM KEYS!...sniff...!" Sorry, but that is how it comes across, at least to me.

I would like to post some of my playing but at this time I am not actively playing out anywhere but church (which I don't really video tape) and my basement isn't set up for readily recording anything right now. My guess would be that if I did post something, I *may* get a few comments if any, and an anonymous internet guy named "Mongrel" with no pedigree just isn't going to get that much attention...

Lastly, I do try to be humble, honest, witty, and most importantly-helpful in my posts even though I type under an assumed name.

ps-for what it's worth, my first name is Anthony and I do live in South Jersey, USA, about twenty or thirty minutes from Philadelphia. I played trumpet in grade school from 3rd to 8th. Quit trumpet and started banging on an old MIJ set of drums with a Gretsch cob snare drum and a pretzel tin for a bass drum head in the Spring of 1978. Today I play on a worship team in church and have recently worked with an acoustic duo called "Arrow and Ember". I am taking a break for the summer to take care of some outstanding family issues. My social security number is....erm...wel....ahhh....maybe not....
Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I see nothing that would disqualify you from posting on any subject you wished.
This thread was started with the hope of a section where drummers would use real names, not screen names, and show real videos of them playing etc. It is only a wish, not something that has come to fruition. If you enjoy playing praise music at church more power to you. what you learn, how you learn it, and how you present yourself is entirely up to you. The forum has rules, but there are no rules about presenting ones real name or skills. It would be hoped that any video you presented as you, would indeed be you, but we as a forum don't have the resources to rack you down. Stay, enjoy yourself, present what you wish and take as much with you as you wish....at no charge.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I reckon it does. It's not hard to tell who's been round the block a few times, simply by the content of their posts. I don't need to see them play to at least know they're speaking from experience.

Others might see it differently, but personally I've always found it pretty easy to identify who's got something to offer and who hasn't

He's gone to the DarkSide! He's over at Calculator World weasleing out the Miscalculators.. He's about as scary as a Taiwanese Tension Rod.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I see nothing that would disqualify you from posting on any subject you wished.
This thread was started with the hope of a section where drummers would use real names, not screen names, and show real videos of them playing etc. It is only a wish, not something that has come to fruition. If you enjoy playing praise music at church more power to you. what you learn, how you learn it, and how you present yourself is entirely up to you. The forum has rules, but there are no rules about presenting ones real name or skills. It would be hoped that any video you presented as you, would indeed be you, but we as a forum don't have the resources to rack you down. Stay, enjoy yourself, present what you wish and take as much with you as you wish....at no charge.
THANKS Dad! (Sincerely, appreciate you and Drummerworld)

Where else can you get this type of community?!
Old 06-05-2018, 02:57 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't keep my name secret. The pic however isn't me. It's a picture of the most handsome guy on the internet I could find :)

Yea, the Your Playing thing. I used to comment. I tried to provide an honest critique. It just takes too much time, and if I do it for one and not another...I don't want to offend anyone, so I stopped. I still watch though, most all of what is posted.

I agree with Jules (Pocket-full-of-gold) in that I can tell who has a lot to offer. I don't need to know who they are, I just need to determine if it's an honest source of valid information.

Furthermore I don't think a non-anonymous section would change a thing about the Your Playing issue.

I will say this...don't listen to anything that buttstrap Eder says :)

(He knows I'm kidding. I mean I am kidding. Sort of :P)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
..I see nothing that would disqualify you from posting on any subject you wished..

Maybe some people understood this thread different from what i meant..I never meant to disqualify anyone from giving their opinion on any subject they wish to give their opinion about..

I just thought that people who need an advice or some help or some feedback on their playing, would maybe take an advice or a 'critic' more easy if they would know with who they are speaking instead of only hearing things from anonymous usernames..

But i was not meaning at all that people should give a 'prove of qualification' or something like that..
Old 06-05-2018, 03:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Maybe some people understood this thread different from what i meant..I never meant to disqualify anyone from giving their opinion on any subject they wish to give their opinion about..

I just thought that people who need an advice or some help or some feedback on their playing, would maybe take an advice or a 'critic' more easy if they would know with who they are speaking instead of only hearing things from anonymous usernames..

But i was not meaning at all that people should give a 'prove of qualification' or something like that..
Yea...I kinda figured that out too late from reading GruntersDad's post above.

Sorry if I went overboard in the novel I wrote above.

I DO think your suggestion has some merit though, and deserves a little consideration in one form or another. Much easier to hear "you timing is a little off" from Bermuda than it would be from Mongrel that's for sure!

In fact, I would even PAY a fee if there was a place that I could submit something for critique by a pro or two-IF if could be done a little more privately. Don't mind having my arse handed to me, but prefer not to have it done out in public with the whole world hanging around to laugh and point if you know what I mean.

But, then again, there are plenty of places to get that type of attention online and through lessons aren't there?

Just a little hard for someone like me at 55 to go down to the local music shop and sign up for weekly drum lessons. Much easier to do it online...

Not a bad idea though oldskool...
Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I get to see Duncan in October, he's coming to the States. I get to hang with him and his gal for a night.

Henri, now there's a mystery.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

"I use my real name. And that is me in my avatar." I can't quit laughing. "I don't keep my name secret. The pic however isn't me. It's a picture of the most handsome guy on the internet I could find :) " Damn funny Larry-I did the same Googled "the most handsome man on the internet" sure nuff it came back with the same pic you are using-since you use it I had to opt for an "Art" rendition of "Art" ;)
"I will say this...don't listen to anything that buttstrap Eder says :)" I'm pretty sure Bo is wearing a thong in that pic ;) Oh wait I get it-continue. So as I was saying those brushes sound fantastic :) Oh now I remember what I was thinking-I was thinking bout your drum innovation thread. I saw this video today and it dawned on me we didn't entertain technical innovations in drummers themselves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlFapC-i8NM What next AI implants-we can upgrade ever so often? hee,hee,hee,hee. Maybe http://www.gtcmt.gatech.edu/people
Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM

At the Tape Op Message Board (creative and/or home recording forum) where i used to spend a lot of time, there was a push years back for people to either use their real name for their name or at least in their signature or something that gave some context to peoples posts. Not to value whether or not they were worthy of posting, but like mentioned, just because anonimity tends to promote an overinflated sense of critical bravery... This wasn't pushed by the moderators at all, just by members who wanted a more open community, and it was obviously done on the honor system and completely voluntary. That being said, many people did just that and it was nice.

My name is not Tom (i only realized that might be considered a thing after someone called me that here) but thats me in the pic and my band is in my sig and its pretty easy to find out who i am. I dont post alot but i write too slowly to say anything that i wont stand behind later so it doesnt bother me.

I think people who post in the "your playing" section should go into it expecting little to no feedback as one of the better outcomes. This is the internet after all. I personally have never been to that section, but in general i dont offer advice on other people's playing in person unless they ask me specifically AND i know them well enough to know how they might respond or what their priorities are, because likely their priorities are different from mine.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

In all fairness Art, the most handsome guy on the internet search yielded many many pictures of you.

Oh wait that was the most homely guy search.

Nevermind.

:)
Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Not to get too excited, but even, The Most Intersting Man in The World, has been replaced.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

I kind of get what you are saying, and I do think it would cut down a bit on the "critical bravery" that was mentioned.

On the flip side, whether a real name or fake name, in-person or on the internet, you really have to interact with someone to know what they're about.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

I appreciate the anonymity, particularly when it comes to that jerk factory Larry not being able to look me up and cast a witch's curse on me...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

If this is the only music forum you frequent you have no idea how good you have it. I have never anybody completely destroy somebodys playing on this site. In fact most of the posts of people playing are generally disregarded altogether. I will tell you that is not the case on guitar forums. Post a video or clip of your playing on Ultimate Guitar and watch the Montana Shoe Shine fly. 10 people will tell you your tone sucks, 10 more will tell you that you suck and to give up, 10 more will comment on how your gear is garbage and you should buy a (insert name brand guitar or amp here), 20 will tell you how (insert famous guitarist here) would have played it better, 50 will tell the previous 20 that (insert famous guitarist here) actually sucks and that (insert lesser known guitarist here) is actually better, 5 will ask if it Djents and 1 will mention how he liked the way you resolved to the tonic at the end of the bridge.

I will take indifference over that anytime.