Are all die cast hoops interchangeable on any drum?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I'm looking to pick up a snare side die cast hoop for my Tama Stewart Copeland snare. Looking to get perhaps a bit drier sound out of it. There is a die cast on the batter side.

Would most or all die cast hoops out there fit it if they are 14" and 10 lugs (snare side - of course)?

I don't know the answer but there is another way to dry out the sound of your snare.
If your due for snare wires I would start there. I believe the copeland comes with 20 strand maybe you can replace with 24.....42 strand wires. Just a suggestion.

Maybe a snare side die cast hoop will dry it out too much and you may not like it. Maybe someone else can chime in that has experimented down this road before. I have Mastercast hoops top and bottom (stock) on my Pearl Sensitone Classic II Brass and its the same shell thickness as your copeland 1.5mm but nickel plate over brass and 24 strand wires and it sounds perfect to me.
But who knows how that will manifest itself on your copeland. Heres an example of the Pearl Sensitone Classic II brass snare with Mastercast hoops and 24 strand wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daf3GydX-6A

Is this the sound you want or is it too dry? Yes there are other factors at play in the recording but it does give a general idea.

Any 14" 10 lug die cast hoop should fit any 14" 10 lug drum.

Any 14" 10 lug die cast hoop should fit any 14" 10 lug drum.

I'm hoping that is the case. I'd like to have an extra one of these and if it doesn't gel on the snare side, I can use it on another one of my 14" - 10 lug snares.

I don't know the answer but there is another way to dry out the sound of your snare.
If your due for snare wires I would start there. I believe the copeland comes with 20 strand maybe you can replace with 24.....42 strand wires. Just a suggestion.

Maybe a snare side die cast hoop will dry it out too much and you may not like it. Maybe someone else can chime in that has experimented down this road before. I have Mastercast hoops top and bottom (stock) on my Pearl Sensitone Classic II Brass and its the same shell thickness as your copeland 1.5mm but nickel plate over brass and 24 strand wires and it sounds perfect to me.
But who knows how that will manifest itself on your copeland. Heres an example of the Pearl Sensitone Classic II brass snare with Mastercast hoops and 24 strand wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daf3GydX-6A

Is this the sound you want or is it too dry? Yes there are other factors at play in the recording but it does give a general idea.

Thanks veggo32,

That was some sensational playing on a nice souding kit. Cool link man. Yeah, I see what you mean in other factors of the recording affecting the tone of the snare. When I was able to hear just the snare, I actually like how it sounds.

To be honest, I am also trying to reduce the snare buzz that occurs when I hit about 3 inches off center. The snare wires seem to buzz for about an extra second. I do have heads tuned pretty tight, so maybe that just the snare head continuing to resonate?

How would a wider strainer dry out the tone?
Wouldn't that also extend that funky snare wire buzz when hit off center?

A drum tech told me that I would have to hit that specific drum nearly center to avoid that extended buzz. My aim is not always that precise...

Thanks veggo32,

How would a wider strainer dry out the tone?
Wouldn't that also extend that funky snare wire buzz when hit off center?

A drum tech told me that I would have to hit that specific drum nearly center to avoid that extended buzz.

I have a 42 strand, and it seems to kind of choke the reso a bit, so you can tune a bit lower on bottom, and since the wires cover about half the head, the tension pulls the reso in when you play. You'll get more 'snare' sound (duh), which could be perceived as wetness, but as long as the wires are flat and even it shouldn't ring much more I don't think. Learning to play in the middle is totally worth the time, my teacher got me doing that early. I think that's one of the reasons why good drummers actually can make a bad kit sound better, and the consistency is more professional. You still have to play well to sound like a pro, haha.

I have a 42 strand, and it seems to kind of choke the reso a bit, so you can tune a bit lower on bottom, and since the wires cover about half the head, the tension pulls the reso in when you play. You'll get more 'snare' sound (duh), which could be perceived as wetness, but as long as the wires are flat and even it shouldn't ring much more I don't think. Learning to play in the middle is totally worth the time, my teacher got me doing that early. I think that's one of the reasons why good drummers actually can make a bad kit sound better, and the consistency is more professional. You still have to play well to sound like a pro, haha.

You might have something there to consider regarding a 42 strand snare wire. Heck, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one around. I couldn't find the Tama 42 strand snappy snare wire, but the Gibraltar is an excellent price at $12. Hardly a risk compared to the $33 Puresound 20 strand. Would like to find the Tama 42" Snappy wires though.

Yeah, I'll have to work on hitting the snare dead center. My tech friend said to draw a 3 inch circle in the middle for a bullseye.

Back