Are there Special Amps for Electronic Drumkits?

Level5

Hi all!
I have and electronic drumkit and I want to jam with my housemates, but feeding it through the bass amp sounds rubbish!
Is there special equipment specifically for either amplifying electronic drums or feeding them through speakers that I could be directed to?
Many thanks.

Ha, as nice as the TDA-700 looks, it might be slightly out of my price range : D
The main problem I've been noticing after my limited research today is that as I live in Australia, the mark ups in our music stores are pretty harsh, and importing from America doesn't seem to be an available option.
I guess I'll just need to suck it up and pay the excess.
Thanks for the help Harry.

A bass amp will definitely suck. You putting out a full range signal from deep bass as low as 40 or 50hz up to who knows? The cymbals could be up in the 10,000khz range
You’ll need a PA or Keyboard amp to get this entire range loud.
You could even pick up one full range powered PA speaker and plug your module into it. These usually have a small EQ section and level at least.

Yes, a keyboard amp is the shizzle. Full range Hombre... woffer/tweeter, more power and usually more portable/cheaper than ROLAND's design specific offerings.

A full range powered PA speaker works beautifully... smaller and can find use as a monitor for vocals etc. when not pumping the e-kit. You only need minimal EQ'ing amp side with an electronic drum set.

Though if you can score a PM-1 for $120 like Harry, or any other ROLAND (e-kit specific) cheap that'd be your amp, they show up for sale orphaned and unwanted from time to time.

Last edited:
Yes, a keyboard amp is the shizzle. Full range Hombre... woffer/tweeter, more power and usually more portable/cheaper than ROLAND's design specific offerings.

A full range powered PA speaker works beautifully... smaller and can find use as a monitor for vocals etc. when not pumping the e-kit. You only need minimal EQ'ing amp side with an electronic drum set.

Though if you can score a PM-1 for $120 like Harry, or any other ROLAND (e-kit specific) cheap that'd be your amp, they show up for sale orphaned and unwanted from time to time.

I have a pair of JBL EON15 powered speakers. How would those work? What do you think about those?

A keyboard amp eh? Taking the lateral approach : )
Thanks for the tip, I'll start look at those too now.

... anything 'full range' meaning it has the hi-end/low-end covered (woofer and a tweeter).

The first generation Eons are weak. I've had them apart... scary cheap/weak.

I use an old Peavey ED300 amp designed for electric drums. It's also a great keyboard amp and a really good Bass amp. Got a big15 scorpion speaker and a very nice horn. Plus a reverb tank. Old as dirt and works great.

Back