Kick drum as floor tom

Sirwill

Silver Member
I'm currently reconfiguring my set-up. The biggest change will be trying to figure out how to mount my 22" kick drum (I will still use my 24" kick as my main bass with dbl peddles) as a floor tom mounted to the right side of my 16"x16" floor tom. I have seen drummers use a large floor tom that looks like a kick drum without a bottom head and I'm thinking of trying this set up. I'm in need of info on how to mount my 22" low to the floor and at an angle. Any help or ideas would be wonderful.

Typically, what you are refering to is a gong drum. Where the head is a larger size than the drum.....the tension rods/insterts/lugs angle to allow, say, a 24" head to be mounted on a 22" drum shell.​
Taking you existing kick and suspending it, a few things come to mind. Drill the shell and add floor tom legs/mounts. Or, if you want to avoid drilling, find some way to use the existing kick drum leg/mounts and your tom holder flange/mount (assuming your kick is a non-virgin) as suspension points.​

Typically, what you are refering to is a gong drum. Where the head is a larger size than the drum.....the tension rods/insterts/lugs angle to allow, say, a 24" head to be mounted on a 22" drum shell.​
Taking you existing kick and suspending it, a few things come to mind. Drill the shell and add floor tom legs/mounts. Or, if you want to avoid drilling, find some way to use the existing kick drum leg/mounts and your tom holder flange/mount (assuming your kick is a non-virgin) as suspension points.​

Thank you for the great input.

remember seeing this, but saw it again and remember this.

its something im looking to try out with my old kick,

Attachments

• gong drum.jpg
    gong drum.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,394
is it hard to play with those huge rims getting in the way?

Depends if it's angled or not. I have a Sonor Force 2007 18" Bass Drum mounted as a gong drum, and I haven't hit the rim yet.

That's a neat way Eddie!!
An alternate way to mount them can be done depending what kind of legs it has. For instance the sonor bass drum legs can be removed and an L-Arm can be inserted.

pic of the sonor bass drum leg mount

163426.jpg

I'll go take some pics of how mine is set up to illustrate what I mean...

-Jonathan

Here's what I mean.

(sorry if I was rambling like an idiot in my previous post)

-Jonathan

Attachments

• Sonor Gong Tom 1.jpg
    Sonor Gong Tom 1.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Sonor Gong Tom 2.jpg
    Sonor Gong Tom 2.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 1,298
  • Sonor Gong Tom 3.jpg
    Sonor Gong Tom 3.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 1,301
Wow that's cool man, im thinking about doing the same thing, i have 2 sets therefore 2 kicks, ones a royal star 7 piece (4 up 1 down) and a pdp five (1 up 2 down) im gonna try combining and making one huge set before i sell the royalstars. my tom mounts are diffferent though. i'm gonna see what i can do if not maybe i'll start a thread of my own to see what everyone has to say.

Back