Yamaha PHX

A well know Yamaha and Zildjian endorser told me face to face just three weeks ago that he was well satisfied with his Yamaha Maple Custom drums, but Yamaha wanted him to use the PHX kits to get them more in the public eye. He said his PHX drums sound great, but so did the Maple Customs. I really wonder if he would have changed kits if it weren't for the push from Yamaha. I never played the PHX drums, the price being too far out of my league.

Dennis

Well did he changed?

Offcourse a company would ask to play (and give) the ''best'' drums they have. Its up to the drummer if he want's to play that drum or not.

Well did he changed?

Offcourse a company would ask to play (and give) the ''best'' drums they have. Its up to the drummer if he want's to play that drum or not.

As of right now, he's using the PHX on the sound stage. The thing is, he would have never asked to receive the PHX kit if it wasn't for a slight nudge from Yamaha. I really can't see how anyone in the audience or at home could tell one kit from the other because of the camera blocking that's used on the set. It's just that right now Yamaha can say he's using a PHX set of drums.

Dennis

St.John's here in Calgary has a set in their showroom, most incredible sounding drums i have ever heard, but sticker says 11,500$ - you could literally buy ten quality kits to this one, just too much money...

As of right now, he's using the PHX on the sound stage. The thing is, he would have never asked to receive the PHX kit if it wasn't for a slight nudge from Yamaha. I really can't see how anyone in the audience or at home could tell one kit from the other because of the camera blocking that's used on the set. It's just that right now Yamaha can say he's using a PHX set of drums.

Dennis

If this is the A.F. I'm thinking of, perhaps Letterman or Paul forced him to use the PHXs!

They are GREAT drums but SO expensive, it just gets to a point when you have to ask yourself not only can or can't I afford these but do I really want to be taking these out on the road, if the kit is for home use then what the heck, go for it, but then the only one to get the enjoyment out of them is you, if it's for live then it's one hell of an investment sat there waiting for for beer to be spilled.

So what's the target market for PHX?

78% Touring pros, but YAMAHA has to beg them to play em even when they're satisfied with other YAMAHA product.

12% Trust fund babies, people who happen on extra cash who want and can now have their dream set

9% Recording studios

1% Drummers who're convinced they have to have the best and pinch/save go into debt to make it happen

There simply wasn't a market intended so i've heard. Just for the pure lovers (with money, thats true)

And even even if you're a pro endorser, most of the time you still have to pay (a bit) for the set, so they won't begg them to play them. But they sound so one step up the highest class we've known until now you want them to play.

Back