Jojo Mayer

Hey everyone!

on another of my web trawls for footage of Jojo, I found this.

ahh, a great video of him from back in the day, playing for his good friend marco tempest (who I believe also co-produced secret weapons) on on of those ancient e-kits that are really just oversized vic firth practice pads thrown together with some triggers ;)

I heard somewhere that he played on a TV show with a magician once, so yeah this is probably it.

enjoy!

oh, and by the way, I'm still waiting for Mr.Bloom's 35 min interview.... ;)

I really think if you were to ask me who I think is the greatest drummer in the world, I'd have a hard time not saying JoJo Mayer.

Well I'm still in awe of the guy. But... where are his "Nerve" CDs? And why does he tour in Austria and Switzerland but not the UK?

His instructional DVD has helped me alot. It's great. But yeah, where are the Nerve CDs? After I saw the 4 songs they did at Modern Drummer fest I thought they must have a CD or two out, but I can't find anything. I appreciate the live improv aspect of playing electronic music that JoJo is going for alot, but I would love a CD of Nerve (live or studio.)

So does anyone know if any Nerve stuff was released ?

in jojo's clinic in basel 2008....its on this site
when he is playing the brushes he get quite a unique sound off of his tom close enough to the start of the solo...
he hits it and then brushes the back of the brush over the drum......have a look.....i cant seem to figure out what he does!

in jojo's clinic in basel 2008....its on this site
when he is playing the brushes he get quite a unique sound off of his tom close enough to the start of the solo...
he hits it and then brushes the back of the brush over the drum......have a look.....i cant seem to figure out what he does!

He hits the drum with his brush, then with the other hand, he pushes his finger across the head from the rim to the center, producing what I've heard called a whale sound. You may need to lick your finger to get your finger to sort of stick and slip against the head. It depends on what kind of head you use. It works better on smooth heads. That's it.

He hits the drum with his brush, then with the other hand, he pushes his finger across the head from the rim to the center, producing what I've heard called a whale sound. You may need to lick your finger to get your finger to sort of stick and slip against the head. It depends on what kind of head you use. It works better on smooth heads. That's it.

thanks for that...hes such an innovative drummer....best drummer in the world today.,....HANDS DOWN!...someone who can play jazz like he can, but also jungle music!>...i mean come on!!

the best drummer alive, hands down......he doesnt get enough credit, people like weckl get it all!
i just got jojo's dvd and.,..WOW! how can one man do all that!...an inspiration.....and a genius too!

Can you honestly think of anybody that is better than Jojo? right now that is.

Vinnie Colaiuta comes to mind.

Dennis Chambers is a thought.

Two guys that are somewhat similar to his style.

You asked. I answered. ;-)

But, don't think I don't like JoJo for 1 milli-second. He is absolutely awesome. No doubt! And one of my top 5 living right now.

Vinnie Colaiuta comes to mind.

Dennis Chambers is a thought.

Two guys that are somewhat similar to his style.

You asked. I answered. ;-)

But, don't think I don't like JoJo for 1 milli-second. He is absolutely awesome. No doubt! And one of my top 5 living right now.

I've got nothing but an incredible amount of respect for Colaiuta and Chambers...and Rich, Weckl, Williams, etc etc etc and while I wouldn't say I'm a scholar on the best drummers, Jojo is truly a wonderkind. Colaiuta has massive chops and technique but I can't say that he makes me want to move in the groove like Jojo's playing does. Chambers has that swagger, groove plus fantastic chops but doesn't seem to be as truly versatile with the same level of dexterity and nimbleness that Jojo has in my opinion. Marco Minneman is a drummer that I think is pushing the envelope too but still Jojo is monstrously versatile with his incredible chops. He finds the groove and is tasteful even when he's throwing down some insane polyrhythmic 4 limbed hydra beat. The only thing I haven't seen Mayer do is pure metal. I have no doubt he can do it but I've never heard him try.

I've got nothing but an incredible amount of respect for Colaiuta and Chambers...and Rich, Weckl, Williams, etc etc etc and while I wouldn't say I'm a scholar on the best drummers, Jojo is truly a wonderkind. Colaiuta has massive chops and technique but I can't say that he makes me want to move in the groove like Jojo's playing does. Chambers has that swagger, groove plus fantastic chops but doesn't seem to be as truly versatile with the same level of dexterity and nimbleness that Jojo has in my opinion. Marco Minneman is a drummer that I think is pushing the envelope too but still Jojo is monstrously versatile with his incredible chops. He finds the groove and is tasteful even when he's throwing down some insane polyrhythmic 4 limbed hydra beat. The only thing I haven't seen Mayer do is pure metal. I have no doubt he can do it but I've never heard him try.

I'm with you there my friend, and I am happy to report that Jojo was in many speed metal bands in the 80's, and If you check out one of the DW videos of him playing in switzerland recently, you can see him play a damn fine blast beat!
If you find some of his material (eg: the 1995 album by the Screaming Headless Torsos) he sounds SO SO much like Vinnie. There are a lot of Vinnie wannabes out there, but when Jojo went through his Vinnie phase, he really studied every little aspect of his playing. I swear if you closed your eyes you'd think it was Vinnie!

Jojo deserves much more notariety in the drumming community. It is good to see such an overwhelming appeal for Jojo on this forum. IMO, he's one of the top five drummers alive and one of the top drummers of all time

Back