My Mapex M birch

pearlygates

Gold Member
mapexmbrch102008.jpg

1 up 1 down.. these drums are awesome sounding!!

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

The PSTs I got as part of the package. THEY actually sound pretty darn good!
My 18" crash is an Alpha medium and my 8"splash is also an Alpha thin. Those I will keep. I will be upping the PST5s when it's financially feasable. But for now, I'm diggin 'em!
* I also have recently swapped out the Aquarian studio Xs in favor of REMO clear Emporers for the toms and a coated cs for the snare. I am currently running an Aquarian SKII for the kick with no internal muffling.
resos are the stockers for the time being. Will prolly switch those to ambassador clears in the future.

Beautiful.

What kind of cymbal holder do you use for the ride on picture 1? Is it Mapex M-Birch's hardware too? AFAIK M-Birch's cymbal holder is smaller than its tom holder.

I think PST isn't a good pair for M-Birch. I do suggest that you upgrade the cymbals.

Beautiful.

What kind of cymbal holder do you use for the ride on picture 1? Is it Mapex M-Birch's hardware too? AFAIK M-Birch's cymbal holder is smaller than its tom holder.

I think PST isn't a good pair for M-Birch. I do suggest that you upgrade the cymbals.

Its a Premier the 2 top sections fit into the reciever mount on the kick! Less to carry to gigs!.. What might I ask is your suggestion for cymbals to go with my Mbirch?
I think that if the cymbal sounds good to the player, it's a match. As I eluded to in my first post, I plan to switch out the ride, hats and 16 crash. Will prolly end up with an all Alpha set up. I have owned a number of Paiste Alphas and find them to be pro sounding and.. they fit my budget! It's all Mapex 550 hardware for the rest. quite happy with it! The verdict is still out on the Kick pedal. I bought this kit complete from a friend who has several kits. I was just borrowing it from him, but like it so much, I bought it!

great buy Yamahammer, looks nice and i really like the set up - especially the ride off the bass, interesting approach...
congrats on the good find!

M Birch kits sound great.

I had one and really loved the kit. Toms sounded great and the build quality was very similar to my old Sonor 3005. But, the finish was simply incredible and flawless.

I wouldn't hesitate buying Mapex at anytime.

Beautiful kit.

#42 04-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Yamahammer
Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2007

Re: My Mapex Surprise!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm not a big fan of Mapex drums, I do like the layout and the HHXs are some nice pies!

Yamahammer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Yamahammer
Send email to Yamahammer
Find all posts by Yamahammer
Add Yamahammer to Your Contacts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, well, well. Looks like someone has become born-again, true believer in the Mapex sound;-) Glad you are liking your M Birch; obviously I'm a big fan. I don't think the M Birch are the alpha and omega of kits, but they are one of the best bang for the buck kits you can find. Good work.

For any of us paying attention, there is no doubt you'll make good on this eventually.

Funny!!!

But, I already bought and sold an M Birch mapex. LOL

Glad you realized it though.

Cool set! Looks like you've had them in every room in the place. You can use your oven or your desk but not both.

I think that if the cymbal sounds good to the player, it's a match.

Yes, sound is a matter of taste. What I meant is their ranks. M-Birch and Pro-M are mid leveled sets while PST is still considered as "economical set". IMO M-Birch and Pro-M should go with Alpha (at least) or 2002 to "stand on the same ground".

I used to play PST with Tama Swingstar, I didn't mind their sounds, but if I had a higher budget I'd surely switch to Superstar and 2002 (if still using Tama and Paiste of course). What I mean is, if I can afford the Superstar, why do I not get the 2002?

But again, taste is what counts. If you're satisfied with the PST, it's good for you, but if you can afford the Alpha, then go for it.

#42 04-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Yamahammer
Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2007

Re: My Mapex Surprise!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm not a big fan of Mapex drums, I do like the layout and the HHXs are some nice pies!

Yamahammer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Yamahammer
Send email to Yamahammer
Find all posts by Yamahammer
Add Yamahammer to Your Contacts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, well, well. Looks like someone has become born-again, true believer in the Mapex sound;-) Glad you are liking your M Birch; obviously I'm a big fan. I don't think the M Birch are the alpha and omega of kits, but they are one of the best bang for the buck kits you can find. Good work.
haha...yeah.. I have become a Mapex believer.!
I just was forced to sell my Gretsch catalina maple kit, cymbals and basically everthing to pay some pressing bills (rent for 1) when a friend and forum member offered to loan me the kit in the photos (standard 6 for 5 with hardware and cymbals) to allow me to honor my drumming commitments. I was blown away at the kind offer to loan me his spare kit! changed the heads from the supplied Aquarian studio Xs to REMO clear emporers and a CS coated for the snare, Kept the SKII on the kick.
I changed the configuration to a 1up, 1down 12, 16, 14, 22, Mounted the 12" rack tom off the holder/clamp for the 10", used the bass drum reciever to mount the top 2 sections of a Premier boom stand and used that for the ride over the kick, thus eliminating alittle weight for gigging purposes. I bought her as you see her (+10" & 13") Another cool thing is that the bass drum double tom mount tube fits perfectly into the leftover Premier tripod giving me more options for set up in the future. Its really amazing how good this kit sounds with the "right" heads and a proper tuning. I'm keeping this beauty! and yep..I loves me some Mapex!!!...even the kick pedal isnt a bad piece (550) Lovin' the hardware!

This is my first post and I am gosh darn excited to get my M Birch kit in the mail real soon!!! It's the forest sapphire finish (blue to black fade.) 18x24" kick (virgin!), 8x8" tom, 10", 12" 14x14 and 16x16 floors. All my hardware included for $899 brand spankin new from the factory. I can't wait. I got all Paiste Signature cymbals 18" full crash, 10" splash, 21" dry heavy ride, 14" sound edge hats. As soon as I set it up and configure it all I'll post pics. Gonna slape some Evans G2 clears and an EMAD on the kick. And then adding on a 12" Zildjian oriental trash this week as well. The Mapex kits are a great bang for the buck no doubt about it.

man! nice looking kit!
i have just got a premier cabria xpk kit for x-mas!
i love the sound of them as well but they are extremely thunderous!
you propelly think thats a good thing! ye well it is for my 2 floortoms but not for my 12" tom tom
can you help me out guys?
i just a little more sustain and higher pitch but i am cr** at tuning! lol

elliot

p.s the premiers are 100% maple! oooooohhhhhh ya

i am jealous of your kit ;(

Back