I need an efficient, strong hardware bag

So I'm in the market for a hardware bag.

I plan on putting at least 5 stands, throne, snare stand, hi hat stand, and other small stuff

Obviously I need wheels with a strong bottom that can take the weight.

Some stands are heavier than others.

I've been looking at:

Skb 4ft case ($60 used)
Skb medium case ($170 new)
Protection racket with wheels 32x14x16 ($120 new)
Ahead ago 28 OR 38" $200 new

What would you choose?

Re: i need an efficient, strong hardware bag

Well the skb 48" one is 12" wide and deep. It just opens sideways bit has wheels.

Do you think that'd be a good buy? Plus its $60

I think you'd be hard pushed to buy better than SKB. They make the finest drum cases available IMHO.

Well the 48" one is SKB also so which one would you recommend? Keep in mind I have a lot of stands and I'm worried about the medium case not being enough.

I have a big Pro-Racket bag with wheels. 6 years on, and still going strong.

But, it will be more expensive in the US than the UK.

I've heard the bottoms aren't sturdy enough on those.

Swings and roundabouts.

I've had 6 years service from mine with no problems; but I can guarantee there is someone who has had a bad experience with one.

If there was a 'best' we'd all use it.

Well the 48" one is SKB also so which one would you recommend? Keep in mind I have a lot of stands and I'm worried about the medium case not being enough.

I would get the one that fit all my stands mate. Only you know how much gear you're gonna have to put inside. Do a few measurements and see which one will hold all the gear

I have a big Pro-Racket bag with wheels. 6 years on, and still going strong.

Have they changed that bag? I bought one a few years ago but it didn't seem to be as rigid as the ones shown on the website. I took it back immediately actually. After putting all my gear in it I realised it was just gonna be too big and cumbersome.....but I'm pretty positive it didn't look like those that are shown on the PR site.

I have the Protection Racket bag too (the longest one - I don't remember the length offhand). I only have to collapse one stand which saves tons of time. Everything fits, I zip it up, roll it to the car, and throw it across the rear seat. If you go with a vertical trap case, you have to break down all of your stands. ... need less extra work and time before and after a gig.

If you go with a vertical trap case, you have to break down all of your stands. ... need less extra work and time before and after a gig.

At 48" long, all you'd have to do is take out the top tube of a cymbal stand, no other collapsing necessary. With a memory lock it's easy to put back in place next set up too. That length should accomodate most hi hat stands too......those truely are a PITA to break down all the time.

I have a 43" (I think that's the length) KACES III black Denier cordura bag with wheels. I can fit my hi-hat stand, snare stand, 3 straight/boom stands, throne, kick pedal and misc percussion in the main compartment without taking them apart and without feeling OVERLY heavy. (I'm a strong guy and could probably fit 2-3 more stands in it but then I'd unnecessarily break my back!)

The bag also has 3 external compartments for things like mic cables, floor tom legs, stick bag, etc. It's very sturdy and does not flex or bend on the bottom. Like I said, if you load it up with a lot of stands though, it gets heavy quickly. The handles are well constructed and sewn strong.

I recommend it. Sometimes it's overkill for my small gigs where I don't need a ton of stands or equipment and am considering an SKB X2 trap case which includes a cymbal vault on the side. SKB makes very nice items.

In true Canadian fashion I use a hockey bag to transport my hardware. They make versions with wheels now and if you don't buy the cheapest bag they are plenty strong. I found these to be much cheaper than purpose specific hardware bags. Many of these bags also have skate pouches on the side that are perfect for storing cables and things of that nature.

I've seen guys using Golf club hard Travel cases and they look pretty solid................I personally haven't used one, but I keep searching for one under 50-60 dollars to show up. I see them all day long for 80-90 USD

I think it would be cheaper than buying a purpose built hardware case.

I use a RoadRunner gig bag. This is one I use. $80 new. Believe it's 36" long, they also have a 48" one for $109. So far have had no issues with it. Has wheels one one side, handles on both ends and a nice shoulder strap that snaps to it. Just split the cymbal stands in two and they fit perfectly. As of now have 4 cymbal stands, tom mount, snare stand and tom legs with plenty of room to spare. Has a nice tie down system inside bag to keep stuff from moving.

I'm not Canadian but I also use a hockey bag because I started using a bag when there were no "official" hardware bags. I also use a Stanley portable tool chest because it's huge, has wheels, is water-tight and I can put padlocks on it.

In true Canadian fashion I use a hockey bag to transport my hardware. .

In true Canadian fashion I use a hockey bag to transport my hardware.

Me too!

But I’ve found that even an el-cheapo $20 bag works fine (with the nylon of the handles actually being sown completely around the bag). Meaning that it can take the weight, but it’s pretty freaking unwieldy with no wheels and no structural integrity in and of itself. Still, for the price it’s excellent.

On a related note, has anybody ever had issues with chrome finishes getting wrecked in transport? Mostly I’m thinking of knurled things like floor tom legs bouncing down the road to the gig while bagged together with pristine chrome.

On a related note, has anybody ever had issues with chrome finishes getting wrecked in transport? Mostly I’m thinking of knurled things like floor tom legs bouncing down the road to the gig while bagged together with pristine chrome.

I usually wrap anything I am corncerned about rubbing and scratchig in a towel in my hardware bag. I also individually wrap my cymbals in old freebee tee shirts to protect the brass and keep them shiny.

Back