Reviews/Comments-On Tommy Igoe's New DVD Great Hands For Life

denisri

Silver Member
Any reviews/comments on Tommy Igoe's New DVD Great Hands For LifeTime. I know he always produces great quality material! Any comments. Tx Denis

I have been thinking about purchasing this DVD through the hudson music download software (have been waiting for a reason to try it out) but I too have waited for reviews. How does it compare to Jojo's DVD and Jeff Queen's DVD (another one I have wanted to buy for a long time)?

Any reviews/comments on Tommy Igoe's New DVD Great Hands For LifeTime. I know he always produces great quality material! Any comments. Tx Denis

Any serious player I've met owns his Groove Essentials material. I pre-ordered and had it about a week. Once again, he's made an absolutely incredible product. . It has everything you'd want in a technique product from a guy with sick technique but absolutely no macho BS, the DVD is about maximizing YOUR hands not showing off his (though he does some amazingly effortless demos at warp speed and this crazy left hand technique he credits to drum corps that you have to see to believe!).

It's rudimentally based and uses the rudiments to find your flaws and fix any holes. And it has his signature no frills, no fuss, straight to the point practical information with lots of dry wit which I appreciate. It also has a section where Tommy interviews his Dad, Sonny Igoe, who created the Lifetime Warmup and it's really beautiful to see their relationship.

I can NOT believe it's 20 bucks, really: It's 4 hours long, includes a full length eBook (60 pages with extra material!), practice mp3 files, a full size poster and a music stand fold out. 20 bucks?? I have have crappy DVD's I've paid twice as much for that I'll never watch again. This one is going to get worn out! I've been playing the basic version of the Lifetime with my students already, in case any of your guys are teaching.

If you're looking for reviews: there are already many 5-star reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Igoe-Gr...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266097930&sr=8-1

Anyway,I highly recommend it. I can see this becoming as indispensable as Groove Essentials to legions of drummers out there. Hope this helps. Would like to hear about the DVD's I'll never watch again? Haha...just kidding, that would be in bad taste.

Hey,

I just got the product myself and have watched just a small part of it.

Like it has been said before the DVD is rudiment based and the Lifetime Warm-up is actually very similar to the rudimental ritual by Alan Dawson in that it weaves together all the rudiments into one continuous piece.

The pdf book looks great as well and contains a lot of additional information to the stuff on the DVD.

A lot of the ideas that Tommy has put across are very much in line with what alot of people are doing. I like how the DVD concentrates on the sound quite alot as well. I.e the sound you are making and how important it is.

For £20 it is the bargain of the century and if you combine it with Jojos DVD you should have all you would need on hand technique.

A must buy

Cheers

Dave

I have his Groove Essentials dvd....I like the guys style. So the big question is, this or Jojo's Secret Weapons....or do I just follow Dave Major and get both?

If I download this from the Hudson music software do I also get the eBook/pdf that would be included with the DVD?

If I download this from the Hudson music software do I also get the eBook/pdf that would be included with the DVD?

Good question, I'd send them an email and see what they say. You definitely won't get the wall sized poster! I'd get the disc, personally since it has the poster and long music stand hand out in the box on heavy stock paper.

As to which one to get, Jojo or Tommy's, I can't say. They compliment each other and have completely different approaches. Both have incredible hands; Tommy's is more about really shoring up the basic fundamentals because he believes 99 percent of playing behind a drumset isn't about slick or fast technique but rather strong, controlled technique used in the majority of music.

Jojo's is more heavy on production and the techno/flashy "wow!" stuff, which is great too. It's more about the "science" of technique. It also shows him doing his trademark drum n bass licks (No doubt, he's the best at it, but for me, is getting a bit played out; maybe because there are so many on youtube and I've watched them all :) ). But his hands, like Tommy's, are a thing of beauty. Incredible stuff.

They are both great DVD's, like apples and oranges though. Personally, I'm glad I have both. I'd recommend both to anyone and I think serious players will want both. If you got one, I'd start with Tommy's since it's so focused on the core fundamentals everyone needs, gives idiot-proof practice routines, and it comes with so much extra stuff; two posters, mp3's, ebook etc...

Percusman

I wouldn't say that Jojos DVD is geared around the flashy wow stuff. Granted there are sections, especially on disc 2 that are full of things like push pull, one handed roll etc. but I actually think the core of both dvds is the same.

Tommy words it as 'not working' or 'bouncing not drumming' (for the first section on rebounds/stretches) and Jojo as ' Maximum control for minimum influence' but the 2 guys are both trying to get you to play with a relaxed stroke so you can play all you want without burning yourself out.

Pocket-Full

I would go with both if you can afford it. You should be able to get the both for £40 to £45 straight from Hudson. If you can only get one at a time I think it depends what stage your at.

I think Jojo's would be a good bet as it seems to cover more possibilities so you may see the technique you use explained which could give you more of an insight as to how to improve it.
Tommy's is, like has been said, geared towards getting you through the Lifetime Warm-up and is actually quite rudiment based.

Hope i helped the matter

Dave

Dave, have you seen Jeff Queen's DVD? I think that would be better comparison since it's more rudimental also.

Hey JPW

I have seen it but don't own it. Looked good though.

How does that DVD deal with technique. Is it more for marching band style playing?
Tommy's is definitely coming from a drum set player slant.

Though being honest, if i could afford it id have them all. I may as well buy shares in Hudson if I did that though!!

Cheers

Dave

Hey JPW

I have seen it but don't own it. Looked good though.

How does that DVD deal with technique. Is it more for marching band style playing?
Tommy's is definitely coming from a drum set player slant.

Though being honest, if i could afford it id have them all. I may as well buy shares in Hudson if I did that though!!

Cheers

Dave

I haven't seen it either, but I have been thinking downloading one of them so it would be nice to know what would be the best for me. I don't mind Queen's DVD being marching drumming, most of it's easily applied on drumset anyways.

Percusman

I wouldn't say that Jojos DVD is geared around the flashy wow stuff. Granted there are sections, especially on disc 2 that are full of things like push pull, one handed roll etc. but I actually think the core of both dvds is the same.

Tommy words it as 'not working' or 'bouncing not drumming' (for the first section on rebounds/stretches) and Jojo as ' Maximum control for minimum influence' but the 2 guys are both trying to get you to play with a relaxed stroke so you can play all you want without burning yourself out.

Pocket-Full

I would go with both if you can afford it. You should be able to get the both for £40 to £45 straight from Hudson. If you can only get one at a time I think it depends what stage your at.

I think Jojo's would be a good bet as it seems to cover more possibilities so you may see the technique you use explained which could give you more of an insight as to how to improve it.
Tommy's is, like has been said, geared towards getting you through the Lifetime Warm-up and is actually quite rudiment based.

Hope i helped the matter

Dave

HI Dave,

I totally respect your opinion and absolutely agree with owning both. My point was in comparing the two, Jojo's is flashier. I think that's pretty obvious. The production alone for Jojo's is very cyber/techno/soundeffect-y. Igoe's is the opposite; let's get to the meat of issue. For example there's no shots of him in a colonial army uniform, or superimposed in times square! :)

By the way, in the eBook, Igoe recommends Jojo's DVD, too. Along with Johnny Rabb's Freehand work.

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's the trailer for GHFALT. It's on the main page for drummerworld now and it really does a great job of showing you what the product is and the atmosphere Tommy creates for the 4 hours of instruction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofYoqZzXDw

hey percussman.
Fair point. Both do have very different looks about them.
Is the freehand a dvd or just a book?

unfortunately, the one i have is just a book with a cd, which i think is a major mistake. Rabb should make a 'real' dvd dedicated to this wonderful technique he has happening.

I haven't seen it either, but I have been thinking downloading one of them so it would be nice to know what would be the best for me. I don't mind Queen's DVD being marching drumming, most of it's easily applied on drumset anyways.

Hey JPW, hmm tricky choice.

Depends what you are wanting to learn. What are you looking for in a hand DVD?
Tommys DVD is definitely geared very much towards healthy hands. As I said I have only seen parts of Jeff Queens DVD so can't say what its focus is.

Cheers

Dave

P.S i was watching Great Hands today and was looking at the practice pad Tommy and all his students are using. At the end of the DVD he says its the Real Feel Pad but having checked the HQ website it is not the same, or at least don't look the same.

I am not happy with my Billy Hyde practice pad (i think its just too harsh on my hands, it is just seemingly a thin coating of rubber over wood) Is the Real Feel a little bit softer and forgiving?

I've been looking into this dvd, as well. It's only twenty dollars? Wow, I didn't know that. It's great that someone this well rounded is taking time off of the kit to go over fundamentals like this. I can't stand the dvd's that you pay fifty dollars for and find out it's just them showing off the whole time, where you learn nothing. I'll be looking into this dvd.

Both are a must have.

JoJo's is very technical (i.e. very detailed explanation of various motions, muscle groups used, physics, mechanics, etc). I really like the DVD.

Tommy's is great as well. He manages to accomplish the same thing for me as JoJo, but with less technical explanation and I guess more in layman terms. Tommy Igoe's grip description in the beginning of the DVD made something click alot quicker in my mind than several other Dvd's. I guess its just Tommy's approach ... its laid back but to the point. Great teacher.

If I had to pick one I'd go with Tommy's. It has more practical/economic value. You get great hand/grip instruction and you also get the rudiments broken down, great practice routine, and I found it easier to go along with. You are playing right away with less dialogue and more doing.

Tommy now just needs a bass drum technique DVD.

I am not happy with my Billy Hyde practice pad (i think its just too harsh on my hands, it is just seemingly a thin coating of rubber over wood) Is the Real Feel a little bit softer and forgiving?

I just checked out the youtube promo of Tommy's dvd.....looks like he was using a Real Feel pad to me.

I've got an old Hydes pad that I've had for over 20 years. Bought a Real Feel about six months ago........there is daylight between the two. It certainly is softer and more forgiving on your hands......a lot quieter too!!

Cross.....cheers for that review mate. Whilst I will get Secret Weapons (along with Pat's dvd too....I've heard good things about that also), your comment "You are playing right away with less dialogue and more doing." has sold me on this first.

Cheers Pocket, I'm going to go pick up a real feel as soon as.

Btw have finished watching the DVD. Really great breakdown on all sections and I like how in the group sessions people are making mistakes. It makes it more human and realistic.

I have also begun imparting some of the early ideas (rebounds, stretches) to my students as I really like this thing, though I may have to email Tommy regarding handing out the lifetime and if it is ok to transcribe it into something I can hand out to students.

I have also been using the basic lifetime as my warm up for the last few practices. It does what its meant to.
It really loosens me up but I would say that if you take a while to feel loose (like me) then i would do it twice through to really feel loose.

Cheers

Dave

Back