Drum noobie - where to start? What to start practicing?

Old_School_fun

Hey guys, im new to drumming, signed up here a few months back but was never serious about practice until now.

this is drum set that i use

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-S...-Set-with-Zildjian-Cymbals-560065-i1556269.gc

yes, maybe you guys think i should have spent less, or maybe i could have gotten better drums, but this is what i have so, lets just stick to that

my #1 question is how you guys start practicing.
I have played the piano for nearly a decade now and of course you start learning by reading sheet music, and then so on

now im not quite sure where to start with drums. do i try to listen to songs and play them by ear like the piano? i dont even know if you even read notes at all so......
if someone can show me where i can start then that would be great, right now im at the stage where i just cluelessly make beats off the drums at a beginners level.

help me out guys!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, drummers do read music. I would recommend getting a teacher, even though you have prior musical experience. It is a different instrument with different techniques.

Just to give you an idea, I tried to work on jazz piano by myself - looking at books, youtube videos, etc... I assumed that since I already played pitched and nonpitched percussion that it would be easier for me to teach myself. Also, I had class piano in college. In reality, trying it by myself was time wasted. I learned more in one month of private piano lessons than in an entire year of trying it on my own.

A drum teacher should be able to introduce you to the proper techniques of drumming. He/she should also guide you through reading, coordination, styles, and other concepts. Find the best teacher in your area. It will save you a lot of time. If you let us know what area you are in, one of us may be able to recommend a teacher for you.

Jeff

Yeah, a teacher is best because drums is unlike any other instrument. However reading, basic beats and rudiments is where you want to start. I personally like the book realistic rock by carmine appice, it will show you the basics of reading and beats. Rudiments are simple patterns that are standardized however working with a teacher is best for them because technique is very important. Best of luck!

Hey mate good to hear you starting up, that can always be a daunting time. With so much out there and everybody saying this is the best, it can be hard to find what really works for you. Something i found, just like all things in life there are two types of leaners, people who have to see it written and people who have to see it being done. Some find them self in the middle. Because of this fact, most people go with a drum teacher. They can really get along side of you and figure out where your problems lie and help you over come those hurdles. But I understand that in todays busy lifestyle it can be very hard to not only find reliable teachers but even the time to see them and practice, thats why i recommend MIke Johnston and his online lessons, they are fantastic and reasonably priced. Try it out see what happens but in the end its left to how you learn and what works, just have fun!

I suggest you start with learning the full stroke. Just practice RRRRRRRR and LLLLLLLL for a while until you can do it effortlessly, it should be like bouncing a ball.

Do the same with your feet. Just straight single strokes. Focus on letting the beater bounce back all the way without stopping it with your foot. It should feel like bouncing a ball.

Those kind of full strokes are super important to get right from the start.

Also I agree that you should get a teacher.

What really helped me in my rudiments was the "Stick Control" book. Check it out you wont be disappointed.

Definitley get a great teacher and yes, learn to read.

There is a great beginner book out now by a world renown educator named Dan Britt. Dan has an incredible ability with new players .... see if your teacher would agree to teaching you from this book - http://www.dannybritt.com/main1.htm ... some educators have books they prefer, so it is always good to ask.

Here is my interview with Dan as well - http://www.theblackpage.net/interviews/dan-britt

Good luck!

I don't teach but if I were to recommend any particular instructional material it would be Secret Weapons by Jojo Mayer. It goes pretty in depth about grip and hand technique and mastering those two aspects will allow you to do some of the more advanced techniques he shows you (moeller/push pull etc.)

Also starting warm ups like the one Evildrummer mentioned would be very helpful as well, do things right before doing them wrong becomes a habit. Playing with weak hand leads as you start doing rudiments is a good idea too. (ex lrllrlrr)

Definetly get a teacher. As you have played music for a while I'd even say try a few different ones to fond the right one which preferrably should eb at or beyond your own level of general musicality as well.

Being a musician for 25 years before picking up drumming I quickly found out how much each of them disagreed with the other and that teir concept of music was different and from my own point of view, far below my own.

I now seek out teachers for specific things and just a lesson here and there.

Don't be afraid to buy all sorts of material. Try each teachers advice, but listen to your own heart and body as well.

Back