Sensible Drum Recording?

jmf-tt

I've been looking for help everywhere and basically cant seem to find the help I need. I'm trying to record me playing solo's or along with music from my iPod, nothing fancy, lets call it "youtube grade".

I've purchased the following:
2 - Condensor Cartioid Mics, stands and cables
1 - Tapco Mix 100
Headphones
using my laptop running Audacity
1 - Camcorder

Everything is hooked up, my ipod is connected the Tape in on the mixer, the mics to the mixer with phantom power as well as the headphones. The mixer is then plugged into my line in outlet on my laptop.

Here are my questions:

Is this it? Do I need anything else? (other than more mics for the kit, I should get a decent sound from 2 no?)

How can I get the best sound quality? (mic placement, mixer config)

How can I mix in the iPod music with my live drum track so the original drums dont bleed on to mine? (record them at the same time or separately?)

...and here's the biggie how in the world do I do the video piece?

Thanks guys and sorry, I'm really new to recording and would love to post me playing to get some feedback and pointers.....

I assume your trying to get a video with decent audio?

I would experiment with the two mics out in front of the kit. Here are your options on how to place the mics

http://www.microphoneheaven.com/multiple_mic.html

I would get a hold of a small mixer and use the record out to feed into the video camera.

Trying to sync audio and video on your PC without some really good and expensive software will be almost impossible.

Is this it? Do I need anything else? (other than more mics for the kit, I should get a decent sound from 2 no?)

How can I get the best sound quality? (mic placement, mixer config)

How can I mix in the iPod music with my live drum track so the original drums dont bleed on to mine? (record them at the same time or separately?)

...and here's the biggie how in the world do I do the video piece?

1. Use this method with just two mics:
http://www.hometracked.com/2007/05/12/recorderman-overhead-drum-mic-technique/

2. You should buy a DAW (or use Garage Band if you have a Mac, or you can get Reaper for free online or Tracktion is cheap and easy to use).

3. A mixer will work, but if you have a audio interface you do not have mix the drum at recording.

4. To put your drum tracks over the original, I would import the original song into the DAW then play along to song recording your playing.

You might try to EQ the drums down in the original track, but you'll basically just have to mix your drums loud to overpower the original.

5. Macs come with iMovie which easily allows you to mix music and video. I figure something comparable exists for PCs.

Do you have the capacity to isolate the audio from your video? If so, run the mics into your camera via the mixer, then record the video and audio. Next, isolate the audio and mix the iPod signal in with it (don't modify the video track, though).

Now, you should be able to drop the mixed track back into the video and be good to go.

If you CAN'T isolate the audio and video, you might consider pre-mixing the iPod output and the microphones in the mixer and then sending the mixer's output into your video camera. Do some trial and error to set the levels correctly, since you won't be able to change levels after you record.

Back