Vic Firth Shogun sticks

zdrum

Hi,

I have a pair of a Vic Firth Shogun sticks circa 1994. It's made in Japan.
Have anybody heard anything about them?
What's the story behind?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,382
They were made from the highest quality Shira Kashi white oak from Japan but they were manufactured at the Vic Firth factory in the U.S.

Oak is a denser wood that feels more rigid and has more weight to give your playing more power and a fuller drum sound.

yep, those are certainly oak sticks....I'm not an oak fan though. I've had a few pairs of Promark's oak sticks and haven't been happy with the sound or feel. I can't say that they are are any more durable than hickory. They do have a denser sound, and sort of a stiffer feel though. They are light, not like maple light, but light weight certainly. But, I don't like Promark's sound either with their olive tips.

We used those in my drumline on marching snares for part of our show where a lighter sound was necessary (as apposed to using thicker marching sticks). To me they seemed like the Vic Firth Rock size sticks except made from oak which gave them a more rigid feel.

And my senior year I think I recall our director complaining that they were now out of production but I'm not exactly sure.

And the are back!

shogun2012.jpg

Vic Firth Co. is pleased to announce the return of SHÔGUN Japanese white oak drumsticks.

Made from Japanese white oak, the SHÔGUN line is manufactured to the level of perfection you have come to expect from Vic Firth. A denser wood with a more rigid response than hickory, Japanese white oak provides added weight and power for a full drum sound and strong rhythmic projection.

“We are so happy with the return of this great series,” states Neil Larrivee, Director of Education and Product Development. “This beloved product line has been one that countless artists have asked to have returned to the Vic Firth catalog. And of course, we aim to please!”

The SHÔGUN series features the designs of the American Classic® 5A and 5B, the world’s most popular drumstick models! The hardness of the wood tip in oak creates a brighter cymbal sound and provides excellent definition during intricate ride patterns. This unique wood also produces an incredible cross-stick tone that really cuts through.

#SHO5A; L =16”, Dia. = .565”; MSRP = $19.95
#SHO5B; L =16”, Dia. = .595”; MSRP = $19.95

Back