Tony Royster Jr.

NY_Recording_Freak said:
he is great but its just like watching a young Chambers, he doesnt have a unique style, I would rather watch chambers then watch someone who sounds like a young version.
And he is not so young anymore so its not what it was.
he needs more influence then just one sorce

You're right, he's not that young anymore, but I don't think he sounds anything like Dennis Chambers anymore. I got his new video "Pure Energy" and it's pretty impressive. He definately talks about more than just one source of influence. You should check it out and see what you think.

I also think that I liked his playing at 12 better than Eloy's (at 14) because it has more form than Eloys, which to me just sounded like an extended and massive display of pure chops with no real point.

drumz4eva said:
yeah that kid is amazing, i havent seen that many of his vids but the few that i have just blows me away
I'm sorry but you are qouting the video that was posted by NouveauCliche and say "kid"? Does he look like a kid in that video? :)

Garvin said:
You're right, he's not that young anymore, but I don't think he sounds anything like Dennis Chambers anymore. I got his new video "Pure Energy" and it's pretty impressive. He definately talks about more than just one source of influence. You should check it out and see what you think.

Thanks for the info...I'll definetly look for that video....
I want to see an updated version of his playing....

i love this kids playing! hes so damn good, and young! he has awesome technique and sound.. cant say enough good things about his playing, one my favs for sure

tony royster jr

i thought that tony royster jr was a little kid who was amazing on drums??

but on here he is 21?

what is going on are there 2 tony royster jr's??

thanks

Re: tony royster jr

jonnodrummer said:
i thought that tony royster jr was a little kid who was amazing on drums??

but on here he is 21?

what is going on are there 2 tony royster jr's??
Sadly, Tony Royster Jr. suffers from a mysterious medical condition where he actually ages as the years pass. Scientists are studying him very carefully in hopes of discovering more about this unexplained malady.

Re: tony royster jr

DogBreath said:
Sadly, Tony Royster Jr. suffers from a mysterious medical condition where he actually ages as the years pass. Scientists are studying him very carefully in hopes of discovering more about this unexplained malady.

Aha.......ah, that was good.

Too few people realize that Tony is not a little kid anymore. Regardless of his age, he's a great drummer in several genres.

I recently met my art teacher, who taught from when I was about 8 years old to about 10 years old. He noticed that I was now 5' 11" instead of 4', and wearing a Metallica shirt, rather than that of Jurassic Park. He asked me, "Are you still doing art?". Of course, I told him that I did, and that my ultimate aspirations were for conceptual designs in movies, but I added that I recently began drumming and really enjoyed it, and that my involvment in art had diminished a good deal. To many people forget that children grow up, and that they change. Tony Royster jr. is no exception. Even though Tony still drums, realize that he has progressed, and will continue to do so. My art teacher always remembers me as the little boy who loved to sculpt, but the reality is, I am now a bit changed. We may remember Tony as the 12 year old whizkid drummer, but now, like me, he has changed.

- Marc

I am speechless watching his video when he was 12 yrs old.....The Drum "Gods" have flown down & blessed Tony with a natural talent, he is already a "Hall of Fame" drummer & i bow to him, he is the reason why I humble myself !!!

I read posts of drummers saying, I want to quit & i get frustated etc...after watching Tony play at the age of 12 etc..."NO"...I would advice you to Quit" with that attitude or just settle & let drums be your hobby...

Tony is nothing but inspiration for drummers & anyone who wants to make something out of their lives...people like him only make me sacrifice & struggle & work harder than ever to reach that "Gold Ring".

He inspired me even more... reading for the 1st time today from your posts that he wants to be a doctor & he also has a rare illness he deals with...Tony is a unique individual

I email everyone I know musician or not his video with a message saying " Be Humble, there may be a little Tony Royster Jr. in your life too...

You all have a "Great" day....Lee

Last edited:
I was thinking about buying his "pure energy" DVD but from the links I've clicked and the searches I've done, it appears tha DW Drums is no longer selling it. Either way, it may just be the wow power of a child playing the solo a hand, but from what I've found online of his more recent work, the all afamed solo from when he was 12 seems almost more impressive then what I've seen of him no(not to say that his newer work isnt impressive though, It's still great stuff), although that may just be because they like to save the more impressive stuff on dvds and downloads that you actually have to pay for.

That kid is amazing. I wish him the best in his music carreer taking off. I hope he becomes an "in demand" player and not just a clinician.

I would hate to see his talent become a novelty.

d.c.drummer said:
I think he's really nice. He has awesome skill but I wish he would stop playing elevator music, get a reall fusion band and take it on tour.

elevator music?

u gotta be kiddin, cmon man...u sound like couple of my chick friends (no joke)

Just watched "The Big Solo". Well, the 12-year-old Tony impressed me more. Of course he is a great drummer. But to my surprise I must say that I can actually play some stuff he did on that solo. That´s normally not the case with those videos here.

Just did a search for this child prodigy, and no threads dedicated to him popped up so I'm making one.

Quick back ground: discovered at age 11 playing a drum solo at a Guitar Center in California. Taught by Dennis Chambers. Is now in his mid-20's.

If you want to see a couple of sick videos (i can't link the actual vids since i'm on a work computer), check out his drum solo at age 12, his drum battle with Jojo Mayer when he eats Mr. Mayer alive IMO, and his drum performance for the youtube "Drum Channel".

This guy is absolutely sick, stupid fast, creative, and in a league all of his own. After studying his videos for a very long time now (i've been a fan for going on 4 years), I think that he is (brace yourselves) the next Buddy Rich. The next "Natural Drummer" that is going to elevate the drumming world to a new level. The guy is in his mid 20s and I've seen parts in his solos where he takes pieces from Dennis Chambers, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, and Gene Krupa and then makes those parts even more complex and awesome. If there is any man who doesn't have a sticky yet on this forum but deserves it, it's Mr. Tony Royster Jr.

[Arky/mod here: That thread has been moved here.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first off thank you DB for providing the link to the actual Tony Royster Jr. thread. Now, to reiterate what i said in the other post.

I have been following Tony for a few years now. When I saw the solo when he was 12 for the first time I was completely floored. Recently I did some youtube searches to see if he had anything new. Now, as I'm writing this from memory I don't know exactly when some of these videos were recorded, much less how old he was at the time. But I can definitely see an amazing improvement. If you thought he was good at 12, watch his videos on the Drum Channel (on youtube and also have a stand-alone site). The only 2 from the Drum Channel I have seen are a drum jam with his mentor Dennis Chambers (this one is good, but not my favorite) and the other is his playing a song live. (it's ind of hard to describe, not elevator music, but not industrial, iuno lol) This second video is hands down the single greatest drum video I have ever seen. He does this ridiculous long single stroke roll that while at first glance appears easy, watching closer shows reveals just how hard it is to pull off (like i said, single stroke, no buzz, no double bounce, all single hits) It's also got several time signature changes where he slows it down and then breaks right back into the beat. oh my god, it's thats ridiculous. search drum channel or tony royster on youtube to find it. everyone should watch this video IMO.

my second comment is one that i expect will cause a little controversy, but it's a thought i want to explore a little bit for the sake of discussion. i feel, based on Tony's drum history and natural ability to play, that he is hands down the new Buddy Rich. Buddy is known as the father of modern drumming, the man who really started it all, and is considered the greatest drummer of all time, as he should be. However, since his death no one has come to the drum scene, IMO, with the ability, the personality, or the creativeness to really expand drumming and what drumming actually is. Noone until Tony. Other videos I have watched from Tony of his playing, his teaching, his practicing show a continual path towards greatness. Simply watching some of the things he pulls off has opened my mind to different things in songs, that I haven't really seen brought up before. He takes playing styles and ideal from other drummers, plays them as is, and then plays them better, all before then expanding said concept and blowing your mind. No one that I have watched or listened too, have blown me away as consistently as Tony has. Hands down, best drummer alive. Once again, IN MY OPINION, which is also open for debate.

Funny part is, he's not even my favorite drummer. He's up there, but not the top.

Well first off thank you DB for providing the link to the actual Tony Royster Jr. thread. Now, to reiterate what i said in the other post.

I have been following Tony for a few years now. When I saw the solo when he was 12 for the first time I was completely floored. Recently I did some youtube searches to see if he had anything new. Now, as I'm writing this from memory I don't know exactly when some of these videos were recorded, much less how old he was at the time. But I can definitely see an amazing improvement. If you thought he was good at 12, watch his videos on the Drum Channel (on youtube and also have a stand-alone site). The only 2 from the Drum Channel I have seen are a drum jam with his mentor Dennis Chambers (this one is good, but not my favorite) and the other is his playing a song live. (it's ind of hard to describe, not elevator music, but not industrial, iuno lol) This second video is hands down the single greatest drum video I have ever seen. He does this ridiculous long single stroke roll that while at first glance appears easy, watching closer shows reveals just how hard it is to pull off (like i said, single stroke, no buzz, no double bounce, all single hits) It's also got several time signature changes where he slows it down and then breaks right back into the beat. oh my god, it's thats ridiculous. search drum channel or tony royster on youtube to find it. everyone should watch this video IMO.

my second comment is one that i expect will cause a little controversy, but it's a thought i want to explore a little bit for the sake of discussion. i feel, based on Tony's drum history and natural ability to play, that he is hands down the new Buddy Rich. Buddy is known as the father of modern drumming, the man who really started it all, and is considered the greatest drummer of all time, as he should be. However, since his death no one has come to the drum scene, IMO, with the ability, the personality, or the creativeness to really expand drumming and what drumming actually is. Noone until Tony. Other videos I have watched from Tony of his playing, his teaching, his practicing show a continual path towards greatness. Simply watching some of the things he pulls off has opened my mind to different things in songs, that I haven't really seen brought up before. He takes playing styles and ideal from other drummers, plays them as is, and then plays them better, all before then expanding said concept and blowing your mind. No one that I have watched or listened too, have blown me away as consistently as Tony has. Hands down, best drummer alive. Once again, IN MY OPINION, which is also open for debate.

Funny part is, he's not even my favorite drummer. He's up there, but not the top.

yea, same with me, he's not my favorite drummer. i definitely agree with you that this guy has changed the modern world of drumming. ive watched every youtube video of him that exists. i really don't know what to think of him...whatever he is, i suggest that everyone continue keeping an eye on this guy, even though he's not a 12 yr. old prodigy anymore. sit back and watch; take it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZI9YvM02L8

I whole heartily agree with you Bernhard. Tony Royster Jr did an amazing job, his skills are on a whole different level then most out there.

Back