OLD Yamaha Double Pedal

wildbill

Platinum Member
Can anyone ID this pedal. It's pretty old for Yamaha, I think. I can't find anything about it.

Just looking for any info I can find on this pedal. Here's a pic:

Last edited:
Heck, it's newer than this, it might work out OK for you ....​

Attachments

• zalmer_twin_1973.jpg
    zalmer_twin_1973.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,272
Well, I did qualify 'old'.

I said 'old for Yamaha'.

I suspect it must be one of their first doubles. I've got a single pedal that uses that type footboard, and it's over 30 years old. I'd just like to find a little info on it. I've tried google and various other searches, and came up empty.

I can tell already, it's not gonna' be my thing though. Spent a couple hours on it, and find it kind of boring already.

Too set in my ways, I guess. Glad I didn't buy one of those new-fangled, high dollar contraptions though - ha ha. Nice that this one can be used as two singles, because that's probably how I'll end up using it.

I'd guess that to be an early 80's Yamaha, before the "floor plate" rage too off. Tama had the Camco, DW had the 5000 (modified Camco), and that Yamaha pedal there, was the competition. Pearl also had a similar pedal.​
Yeah, my Zalmer is old. I found out Albert Bouchard (Blue Oyster Cult) used a Zalmer .... so I had to get one. Nothing else really existed, back then ... that I knew of. Albert had his "modified" by his drum tech. They replaced the primary pedal with a Speed King.​

So - early to mid 80's, mid level then. Anyone know when Yamaha made their first double pedal?

There is a floor plate for it, but only for the left side. I didn't put it back on for the pics.
It's in pretty good condition, considering its age. There's absolutely no slop in the u-joints, they feel solid, like new. Pretty dirty though, with the usual cobwebs, frozen up allen bolts, incorrect adjustments, and so on, found with used stuff.

Probably paid too much for it (60 USD), but I wanted to try one, it can be used single or double, it's solid and fully functional, and it's from Yamaha.

yes that looks to be late 80s (maybe '88) yamaha 7 series pedal. came w/ the Tour Custom drums that i own. i have a single version (also strap drive) that is one of the best, fastest pedals i have ever owned. if you can find the parts, will prove to be a smoking (vintage) double pedal.

yes that looks to be late 80s (maybe '88) yamaha 7 series pedal. came w/ the Tour Custom drums that i own. i have a single version (also strap drive) that is one of the best, fastest pedals i have ever owned. if you can find the parts, will prove to be a smoking (vintage) double pedal.

Agreed!...great simple design pedal!...Steve Gadd used to use this pedal (single version)...strap drives IMO feel better than chain (to me)...

Last edited:
I also have a single belt drive that looks like that. I bought it in about 1980, and it's been the pedal I've used the most since then, and has always been my favorite.
The similar construction of this double is what drew me to it.

I've spent a little more time with the double, and can't believe how clumsy I feel with it. My left foot is trained for hi-hat, and it feels really odd using it for bass. I'm going to try to give it a fair chance though.

Never had a double before, but I've played around with a few at some stores. Hard to believe, but after dis-assembly, re-lubing, and polishing up a few rough spots, this old pedal feels as good as any of the others I've tried. Smooth as butter.

Hey WildBill,

If you'd like to sell that Yamaha strap-drive double pedal, please let me know. I'd be interested in buying it!

I believe that's an FP510, or at least that's what the single pedal model number was. I bought a brand new double like yours in about 1992/3 so it may not be as old as you think. I still have one of the pedals kicking around somewhere: it ain't terribly sophisticated but it still works . . .

Its an DFP-750 indeed. Their first. At the 100 year anniversary they made a limited DFP-750B, yes a black version (a whole range of black hardware)

I have both the FP-705 (entry basic model) and the top model FP-910 (with several adjustment possibilities like height and beater distance) lI love them more then the latest ones and they are still holding up and look awesome.

If I can get my hands on the DFP-750 or even more the B version, my drumlife is more complete ;)

MusiQmaN - I sent you a PM. Sorry, but it's not for sale. I know if it were though, you would give it a good home.

Funny how time can change things. Noticed this post below, that I made in June of 2012:

I can tell already, it's not gonna' be my thing though. Spent a couple hours on it, and find it kind of boring already.

Too set in my ways, I guess. Glad I didn't buy one of those new-fangled, high dollar contraptions though - ha ha. Nice that this one can be used as two singles, because that's probably how I'll end up using it.

Since then, I've bought two other double pedals, and have really gotten into the double pedal thing. I'm still only average (at best) with them though.

Back