John Dolmayan

• Thread starter System_Of_A_Slipknot
  • Start date
Re: Jon Dolmayan

Johns a good drummer. I dont know how well he does with dynamics, of course SOAD is rock, and really does not call for too much dynamics, but he is good... I would like to see him do some different type of drumming for bands though, see what he can bring to the table.

Brynner

But to move back on topic I think its a huge shame that John is not planning to do any drumming in the break, just his comic store. I'd love to hear what he can do in some diffrent styles.

Havent you heard of scars on broadway? Him and Daron are in that.
John is such an original drummer, he influences me in nearly everything that I play.

i like john's work on "sugar" from their debut album. very jazzy.

I'm trying to learn it. There's nothing in there I can't play, with practice, but it's trickier than I initially assumed. There are a few parts where I can't pick apart exactly what he's doing, so I Googled drum tab for the song.

Question. How can you know that a transcription is correct? You see differences from transcript to transcript, and sometimes it's hard to tell from a recording - even a good one - exactly what's being hit. Even their own play-along material does not seem to match what you hear on the album, in places.

BTW, I'm a big fan of SOAD and wanted to revive this thread about their drummer, whom I think kicks @ss.

john as the coolest drumset i have ever seen. i love the amount of flour toms he has and all the cymbals. some day i will have the SAME exact set
GO TAMA

its a shame that soad broke apart really like their flow. Just not feeling scars on broadway as much.
john is still an awesome drummer though, he was a big influence why i wanted to start drumming, he left a lasting impression.

SOAD is great and so is Dolmayan. What I like is how many different parts there are to their songs and how quickly they change it up. You would think this would make their music disjointed, but it really works well for them. A very original sound all around too. I think Dolmayan is a very underrated drummer.

He's not a bad drummer. I like some of his beats. (He uses a really nice one you can hear in ADD and Innervision, two of System's best songs.)

Actually, System of a Down the first band I listened to where I appreciated all aspects of the music besides lyrics. Without System I probably would never have learned to appreciate Rush.

I used to be a huge SOAD fan when I was younger, and I did learn a few tricks from John Dolmayan's drumming.

But as a few others have said, he doesn't necessarily impress me. There's nothing that really catches my attention in his drumming.

I really gained respect for Jon Dolmayan yesterday when trying to learn the "Know" intro. If anyone checks it out, you lead with your left hand on a crash and your left hand swaps between toms, snare, and crash. Pretty tough.

SoaD is great!

I was just filming myself with a cheap cam with my ipod on shuffle and Suite Pee came on. I missed a couple things and was maybe a bit sloppy, but I hadn't memorized it verbatim so what you see is just off-the-cuff playing.

Youtube link to Suite Pee drum cover...

(give it a few seconds cus i trimmed out part of the begininng...and played time on the hats during the guitar intro.. Oops! :) )

I remember in the time soon after I got my drumkit that I was playing along to the album Toxicity, and geez, are those songs hard to play. No complex polyrhythms, no blazing speed, no ten-minute-epics but I still struggle with getting those songs spot on, seriously amazing drummer, just without the "amazing" image attached to other drummers. The energy of the drumming in SOAD music is just so much, I realised it when I tried to play along to something like Revenga or Forest.

...and Question...with all of those time signature changes...geez, very unlike the rest of his drumming with SOAD...anyone who can pull that off deserves to be commended.

John Dolmayan is one of my favorite drummers. He's not necessarily technical, nor does he have god-like chops.

Well, maybe he does and we just don't see it.

But he plays for the music. Every single chart he does is spot on, and it fits the songs perfectly. Give me whatever he's having!

In my opinion, its not how technical your drumming is that matters, its how it makes other people feel. John Dolmayan DOES have amazing chops, he just doesnt play a style of music where he needs to display them constantly.
He is very conscious and considerate of the beat, and has a driving feel.

And i agree with you, coldhardsteel

He's about the music, which is probably why hes gotten so far in it.

John Dolmayan is amazing! I don't think SYTD was WHOLE before John. I am a girl & although he is Xtremly HOT !! I am blown away by his ability to nail it .I am not a drummer but i did take lessons (best time of my life)

this dude is what made me play paiste in my youth (seeing him on the front of a paiste 101 box with silveria). really great guy.

Back