Hannah Ford

she wouldn't get the gig if she played the same, but was a man.
I think we all know that.

So what?

Being a musician, and moreover, an entertainer is all about the total package.

You can dislike it all you want, you can whinge about it to your heart's content. Life isn't fair, and that's all there is to it.

If you read anything by guys who were/are prolific session musicians, success is often as much about being able to get on well with other people as it is about hitting stuff.

There are many attributes required to rise to the top in any field, and the basic skills of the field are a minimum requirement.

Long live Hannah Ford. Manages to get rid of the elitist in the ivory tower that was Drumming April, the perpetual moan that was oddball74 and land the gig with Prince to top it all off.

God bless her!!

Wow. What a sea of misery you're being!!

Given the rest of his line up, I reckon you're right. But that's more of a reflection on Prince than Hannah, no? Or does an artist no longer have the right to choose who plays with him and who doesn't?

stardom and worshiping idols is stupid

But what's left to worship?

Holy smokes indeed! You can take things apart all you like, but deny this is a good rock performance, & you're missing the point big time!

Quite possibly. The female band vibe is obviously crafted deliberately. So Prince put out the brief, & she got the part. That's cool for her as far as I'm concerned, & if "fairness" is a consideration, think of the number of damn good female drummers who don't get a gig because of gender.

Ok, let's put another angle on this. Suppose you put Vinnie in the driving seat, & substitute the other band members for highly skilled male players. Would it sound good? - hell yes. Would it sound the same? - no. Moreover, that show had an energy that actually benefitted from a crude rock edge. The package works, & works well IMO. It's entertainment folks!

Andy, what you said is exactly what I think.

Furthermore I think a lot of drummers would overplay in that situation.
Hannah Ford does an amazing job actually. Of course she doesn't play something complicated but it really fits the music and she is able to keep up the power and energy through the whole concert. THAT is what is really the hard part.
There are a lot of guys for sure who can play the most tricky stuff to that show but they'd loose energy after 30 minutes.

I love that combination :)

As time goes by, male drummers who look down upon their female counterparts are going to be more and more disappointed.

Musical talent and dedication to a craft are not the sole domain of the male.

Yeah, maybe Hannah isn't Vinnie or John Blackwell but none of the guys reading this are either.

She's good enough to keep Prince's beat in this setting.

Methinks Brian and Jorn aren't getting it. You will.

Maybe Brian's kidding?
What is "it"? Maybe, maybe not. lol

I like Hannah Fords drumming, but there are thousands of drummers that I like. And none of them do I idolize.

What is "it"? Maybe, maybe not. lol

I like Hannah Fords drumming, but there are thousands of drummers that I like. And none of them do I idolize.

It wasn't my intention to suggest we idolize anyone here. I just think this is a great band. I hadn't followed Prince since it was Prince and the Revolution back in the 80s, and a four-piece rock band seems to be unlike anything else he could've done, I like it. It's good to see and hear.

I just think this is a great band. I hadn't followed Prince since it was Prince and the Revolution back in the 80s, and a four-piece rock band seems to be unlike anything else he could've done, I like it. It's good to see and hear.
+1 on that Bo. I think he's made great choices all round. Should we not be celebrating the fact that there's a real band with real drums in a pop act?

+1 on that Bo. I think he's made great choices all round. Should we not be celebrating the fact that there's a real band with real drums in a pop act?

Yes we should, and the fact that they're all real players is super-impressive as well. If you go to the 3rdeyegirl website, they even do a cover of Billy Cobhams' Stratus. It's a short version and I don't know if Prince is playing on it as well, but the fact that they're covering classics like that and re-interpreting Prince's old stuff is just way cool to me.

I think he's doing it right too. They haven't put out an album yet. He puts up a song here and there and I think it's creating more of a buzz.

Sorry about the provocation. She plays great - no doubt about it and its a 'theme band' anyway.
But she is not as funky as John Blackwell and Michael Bland. Thats just my opinion.

Sorry about the provocation. She plays great - no doubt about it and its a 'theme band' anyway.
But she is not as funky as John Blackwell and Michael Bland. Thats just my opinion.

No provocation taken - although I'm not sure if you're saying 'theme band' in some kind of derogatory way. Afterall, I've never seen a band that wasn't 'themed' a certain way that wasn't making money.

But not meaning to offend, every time I've heard other players say that certain players aren't this or that, those are usually the guys who aren't working doing that kind of talking. It usually takes alot more than just being able to play to get you connected to get a gig, and that's what we're all trying to do. So which guy are you trying to be?

That's the it I'm talking about ;)

No provocation taken - although I'm not sure if you're saying 'theme band' in some kind of derogatory way. Afterall, I've never seen a band that wasn't 'themed' a certain way that wasn't making money.

But not meaning to offend, every time I've heard other players say that certain players aren't this or that, those are usually the guys who aren't working doing that kind of talking. It usually takes alot more than just being able to play to get you connected to get a gig, and that's what we're all trying to do. So which guy are you trying to be?

That's the it I'm talking about ;)
You could just say "jealous wanna-be", no one's going to be offended! ;)

Yes. In most situations where there are people hired for a tour, there is an image in mind.
People get gigs or don't get gigs all the time based on how they look in addition to their playing.

OK, so maybe Prince wanted to specifically have a female drummer. But that is not much different than the hundreds of tours where the artist specifically wanted a male drummer. But we never say "he only got the gig because he's a guy" even if that was part of the criteria.

And either way, regardless of appearance, the drummer has to deliver.

I finally took a look at this girl. Kept seeing her name all over the place. Guitar Center had her face plastered all over just about everything.

All I have to say is....WOW! With so much young talent out there on YouTube popping up every week I've kinda just stopped paying attention to the up-and-comers, I have to admit. But this girl's definitely got it.

Say what you will about Hannah Ford (plenty have...) but that clip from the Billboard show rocked.

From what I've heard and read, it takes some serious skill to land a gig with Prince. He doesn't mess around. Good for her. Not many here (if any) would pass that audition.

Keep rockin', Hannah.

First, I don't think Steve Hass is the best drummer in the world. I never said that. I appreciate his skill as a time player and his level of improvisation. At that time, I was checking out lots of Hass at the recommendation of other drummer whom I know and respect. Jojo Mayer is an unmatched talent, but hearing him play swing/jazz time, is not something I enjoy, or something respected by jazz musicians. That's what I was saying back then. Nothing hateful. Just the truth as I see and hear it. Hannah Ford at that time, had no gigs, many falsified credits on her resume, and her website was full of unrealistic accolades. I just call a spade a spade. If you think music is about the whole package, that's fine. I don't. Music is about music. Not 6 pack abs, tattoos, a large tommy lee penis, or a modelesque girl. If you have those things, great! But you still have to deliver like a pro. Pop culture is not music. I heard Hannah with Prince. Her time is still very shaky. It's not even close to being funky. Especially if you listen to Prince with Michael Bland, or John Blackwell. Feel free to call me whatever you want. I speak what I hear. It's not hating when it's real. It's what I hear. Like people have said, image has more to do with this than musicianship. End of story. There are plenty of drummers who share my sex that play really great. Cindy Blackman, Sheila E, Nickie Glaspie, Kim Thompson etc. This is about shtick. Not music. Prince himself doesn't sound as good to my ears backed up by these semi-pros. I play the drums, this instrument we all love, but I'm also an avid music fan. A real listener. This is my opinion. Had Hannah sounded as funky and skilled as Sheila E, I'd have nothing to say. But she sounds like the same drummer we were talking about 2 year ago, except now, Prince is singing and playing guitar.

Last edited:
Best part of all is that hater girl who came on here a few years ago trashing Hannah about how she doesn't have the skills required of a professional drummer. And now Hannah's got a gig with Prince and the hater girl has vanished into the ether.

I love a good comeuppance.

Knee deep in schadenfreude,
8Mile

I haven't vanished, I just haven't been posting. refer to my previous post. I'm not a hater. I'm happy for Hannah if she's earning a decent living. Her drumming is exactly the same.

Back