Top 10 Rhythm Sections

As with so many "Top-xx" lists, these results are as narrow as they are subjective.

Where are the Swampers? Stax session guys? Wrecking Crew? Paul & Ringo?

And since when is the rhythm section just bass & drums? Oh yeah, for the purposes of that list, that's all it is.

But, discussion and debate is a large part of what makes a forum tick. If anything, the list serves to bring up all of the great "rhythm sections" that aren't on the list.

Bermuda

As with so many "Top-xx" lists, these results are as narrow as they are subjective.

Where are the Swampers? Stax session guys? Wrecking Crew? Paul & Ringo?

And since when is the rhythm section just bass & drums? Oh yeah, for the purposes of that list, that's all it is.

But, discussion and debate is a large part of what makes a forum tick. If anything, the list serves to bring up all of the great "rhythm sections" that aren't on the list.

Bermuda

indeed. i would add (guitarist) Freddie Stone to the Family Stone listing. his part is far more important to "Thank You" than Graham's.

i would also add Wyman / Watts. Bill Wyman is even more underrated than Charlie.

You have to include Benny Benjiman and James Jamerson and hal blaine & Carol Kaye/Joe Osborne in this list. Also Roger Hawkins and Don "duck" Dunn. and Steve Gadd & Tony Levin/Anthony Jackson...

You know Henri, I have Hiromi's trio album featuring Simon & Anthony. I've beaten it to death, & there's still a ton of sections in there where I haven't got a clue what Anthony's playing. He's an "undercurrent" of a bass player. There's a vibe going on that defies individual note identification. He's special alright, & works so superbly with Simon.

Another one of my favourite rhythm sections, Prairie Prince & Rick Anderson, but with the addition of Mingo Lewis (ex Santana) on percussion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LXQpIpo28g I challenge anyone to think of a more simple bass line than this example! As a section, listen for some of the orchestrated drags in there = absolute class!!!

Another from the funky side of "The Tubes" that many won't automatically associate with their style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mCA1he1zM & some of the best funk rhythm section ever IMO.

Attachments

• music_middle.jpg
    music_middle.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 909
Last edited by a moderator:
Having heard most of the ten listed, I would definitely agree with their number One

If anything, the list serves to bring up all of the great "rhythm sections" that aren't on the list.

Yep. I love lists. They remind me of great music I've not heard for a while. A fair few already listed. The playlist in my head can only hold so much.

True that some studio rhythm sections are killer. Steve Gadd and Gordon Edwards.do it for me but, as you say, sometimes pretty well the whole band can be part of the rhythm section http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q_c160jfBY

Richie Hayward and Kenny Gradney of Little Feat.Funk,blues,rock,country,jazz,those guys could do it all,

How about Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye.Those two probably played on more hit records than any band based rhythm section ever.

No Ringo and Paul? Really?

Stanly Clark and Lenny White of Return to Forever,and other collaberations.Fusion at its best.

Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge,Cactus,Beck,Bogert and Appice.Those guys INVENTED the heavy rhythm section.

Mitch Mitchel and Noel Redding.Jimi Hendrixs back up band.Just listen to any of the first 3 albums.

Steve B

Last edited:
Another vote for Bill Brufford and Chris Squire.

Also, Clive Bunker and Glen Cornick from the early Jethro Tull albums.

The Count Basie orchestra that included Jo Jones, Walter Page, Basie and Freddie Green.

wth..lol....John Bonham & John Paul Jones...seriously would Zeppelin sounded the same....nope.

Bonzolead

P.S..I need to read the article first..lol..since i'm from Detroit..Don Brewer & Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad those guys are still bad-ass \m/

Philly's answer to Motown.

MFSB - The mighty Gamble and Huff band that provided the music behind such groups as Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, the O’Jays, the Stylistics, the Spinners, Wilson Pickett, and Billy Paul, and countless others.

The main core from 1967 through 1974 were:
Drums, Carl Chambers and (my fav) Earl Young
Lead and rhythm guitars, Norman Harris, Roland Chambers, Bobby Eli, & TJ Tindall.
Bass Guitars, Winnie Wilford and Ronnie Baker.
Vibes and Percussion, Vince Montana Jr.
Keyboards & Piano, Leon Huff, Thom Bell, Ron Kersey, Bruce Hawes, Victor Carstarphen,
Bongo, Congas and Percussion, Larry Washington.
Organ, Lenny Pakula

Don't know about "the best", but my current favorite out there right now is Sonny Emory and JV Collier. Everytime I see Bruce Hornsby live, those two absolutley amaze me.

Bermuda brings up a good point. It's who's not on the list that is interesting.

Where is Fleetwood Mac's Mick Fleetwood and John McVie or the MGs Al Jackson, Jr. and Donald Dunn?

Back