Flat-Base Hardware - DW vs. Ludwig vs. Gibraltar

IMO the Gibraltars are the best value for money. I have 3 cymbal stands and they're very well built. I wouldn't call them light but they're definitely lighter than most other stands. And they do overlap you just have to have the legs open at different degrees.

IMO the Gibraltars are the best value for money. I have 3 cymbal stands and they're very well built. I wouldn't call them light but they're definitely lighter than most other stands. And they do overlap you just have to have the legs open at different degrees.

The Ludwigs are quite a bit more expensive than the Gibraltar stands (when you buy several pieces) and unfortunately, I didn't really get to compare the DW version, to the Gibraltar, and Ludwig versions.

However, I'm still glad I went with the Ludwig models. I think I would've wanted them eventually anyway (since I have a Ludwig kit.) :)

I didn't read the whole thread and didn't realize you had made a decision. My bad. Enjoy your new Atlas stands!

The Ludwigs are quite a bit more expensive than the Gibraltar stands (when you buy several pieces) and unfortunately, I didn't really get to compare the DW version, to the Gibraltar, and Ludwig versions.

However, I'm still glad I went with the Ludwig models. I think I would've wanted them eventually anyway (since I have a Ludwig kit.) :)

How are you liking your flat hi-hat stand? I may get one too just to complete the flat-base look for my kit...even if isn't all Gibraltar. Since I play a Ludwig too, it wouldn't be too out of place.

After looking, I did see a few negative reviews on the Gibraltar flat-base hi-hat stand. I'm not entirely sure I want to take a risk on that one.

I think I would've wanted them eventually anyway (since I have a Ludwig kit.) :)

Yeah, that's something I've had happen too (a few times haha!) I was completely happy with the DW's, but then Ludwig went and re-did the hardware, and well...

Hey, you might as well buy the thing you KNOW you are gonna want "eventually anyway" in the first place, if only to to save yourself money (ha!).

The tom sounds really good in that basket, but it can sound even better with those things called 'Lil Booty Shakers from TNR products. They are these foam things that sit on the basket grips, and have a band of velcro to keep them on.
FREAKIN AWESOME product. 5 STARS, 2 thumbs up and all that.
I have a couple other stands I use for my tom, and I am putting them on those as well so I don't have to switch things over.
I have Pearl suspension feet on all my FT's, and they are plenty resonant, so I don't need the FT leg version, but they do work really well too.
www.tnrproducts.com

That's the trouble with having multiple hardware, getting the "extras" that make things work better...

Yeah, that's something I've had happen too (a few times haha!) I was completely happy with the DW's, but then Ludwig went and re-did the hardware, and well...

Hey, you might as well buy the thing you KNOW you are gonna want "eventually anyway" in the first place, if only to to save yourself money (ha!).

The tom sounds really good in that basket, but it can sound even better with those things called 'Lil Booty Shakers from TNR products. They are these foam things that sit on the basket grips, and have a band of velcro to keep them on.
FREAKIN AWESOME product. 5 STARS, 2 thumbs up and all that.
I have a couple other stands I use for my tom, and I am putting them on those as well so I don't have to switch things over.
I have Pearl suspension feet on all my FT's, and they are plenty resonant, so I don't need the FT leg version, but they do work really well too.
www.tnrproducts.com

That's the trouble with having multiple hardware, getting the "extras" that make things work better...

I can't tell you how many times I've bought one thing to save money, only to sell it and get what I wanted anyway. I do that alot.

Now I didn't get to compare any of the DW, Gibraltar, and Ludwig flat-base stands to each other, so I can't say FOR SURE that I like the Ludwigs better. But I will say that they're a little lighter than I expected, that aerodyne tilter kicks all kinds of butt (IMO), the hi-hat feels great to me, and........... the stands look great. :) So yeah, I'm very happy!

Those little bootie shakers sure are interesting! Hmm...

I haven't really got to spend any time with the new stands since rehearsal when I got them (Tuesday.) I've been running around all week after work and haven't played a lick. But this weekend, I plan to experiment quite a bit by trying my tom in the new snare stand, trying cymbal boom arm attachments on them, hanging a tom off a stand, etc... I want to run them through the paces.

Chris

How are you liking your flat hi-hat stand? I may get one too just to complete the flat-base look for my kit...even if isn't all Gibraltar. Since I play a Ludwig too, it wouldn't be too out of place.

After looking, I did see a few negative reviews on the Gibraltar flat-base hi-hat stand. I'm not entirely sure I want to take a risk on that one.

I only used it the night I got it at rehearsal, but I immediately noticed I really liked the feel. Also, and this could totally be my imagination, the high hat cymbals (15" 2002 SEs) seemed to sound better and be more responsive and the snare (6.5"x14" Acro Reissue) seemed to sound better with these stands.

Also, the Ludwig hi-hat stand is lighter than my Yamaha 700 series hi-hat stands, which surprised me! I recently bought a scale and plan to weigh all of my stands tonight to compare! LOL :)

In case this info is helpful to anyone else... The new 20" tool bag I bought for the Ludwig hardware is too small for the Yamaha stands. The Ludwig stands fold up around 3" or so shorter than the Yamaha stuff, so this bag will basically only work for the new Ludwig stands. (which is fine)

Just weighed my new Ludwig Atlas Classic stands and my Yamaha stands and here are the differences (in case anyone is wondering or does a Google search to figure it out.)

Yamaha CS755 Boom Stand - 3641g
Yamaha CS650A Straight Stand - 2479g
Yamaha HS740A Hi-Hat Stand - 3586g
Yamaha SS740A Snare Stand - 2585g

Total - 12291g

Ludwig Atlas Classic Snare Stand - 2954g
Ludwig Atlas Classic Boom Stand - 2745g
Ludwig Atlas Classic Straight Stand - 2351g
Ludwig Atlas Classic Hi-Hat Stand - 3121g

Total - 11171g

Difference - 1120g or 2 pounds 7.5 ounces

Not real drastic, but that's still enough of a weight difference to feel it.

PS - I also ordered and just received another Ludwig Atlas Classic straight stand, so now I have exactly what I need. Of course, that makes the bag heavier than before, but I do have another stand.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the details Chris. Excellent info.
Neal

Wow, thanks for all the details Chris. Excellent info.
Neal

My pleasure! I got this scale to weigh my cymbals a short while back. I weighed them all in 20 minutes, then put the scale away to never be used again until last night. I figured I'd weigh mystands for the heck of it. LOL!

Hey Chris, thanks to your excellent tip...just picked up a 20" tool bag for my Atlas hardware... I found a DeWalt tool bag on sale for $27. It's perfect!
I'll try and get a pic up soon. What a great compact solution.

*** Canadian drummers: get out to your local Canadian Tire store and grab the 20" DeWalt bag on sale this week!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Chris, thanks to your excellent tip...just picked up a 20" tool bag for my Atlas hardware... I found a DeWalt tool bag on sale for $27. It's perfect!
I'll try and get a pic up soon. What a great compact solution.

*** Canadian drummers: get out to your local Canadian Tire store and grab the 20" DeWalt bag on sale this week!!!!

Awesome man! Yeah, let's see a pic when you get a chance!

I have the following in the bag for rehearsal tonight:

- Yamaha 700 Series Snare Stand (for snare)
- Ludwig AC Snare Stand (for tom)
- Ludwig AC Straight Cymbal Stand
- Ludwig AC Straight Cymbal Stand
- Ludwig AC Hi-Hat Stand
- Floor Tom Legs
- Bass Drum Cymbal Mount
- Throne Base

That's alot of crap in a tiny bag! Adding the second snare stand forced me to think about placement in the bag a little more. It all fits, but it's tight! If I add anything else, I think I'll get a second bag and split the stuff between both.

The funny thing is this tool bag is built much better than any hardware bag I've owned, which includes a Road Runner hardware bag, a baseball bat bag, and a new military patrol bag. It's also much cheaper!

I ordered some of those smaller "regular" ATLAS feet yesterday for my Hi-hat stand, and the snare stand I use for my tom (so it could get under my actual snare stand easier).

I had him get me another set of Aerodine feet too, so I can take the 3 sets of ATLAS feet and put them on my DW FB stands :)

I ordered some of those smaller "regular" ATLAS feet yesterday for my Hi-hat stand, and the snare stand I use for my tom (so it could get under my actual snare stand easier).

I had him get me another set of Aerodine feet too, so I can take the 3 sets of ATLAS feet and put them on my DW FB stands :)

Nice ideas...

I actually just got the long Aerodyne Tilter Clamp (LAP3T6) and use it for a bass drum mounted ride cymbal stand.

I have the Classic lug on the bass drum and was using the Gibraltar arm. That worked great with a 24" Giant Beat ride, but it was pretty wobbly with my much heavier 24" 2002 ride. I had an L arm from something else that's smaller on one side (9.5mm?) and bigger on the other side (12mm?)

Works perfect and feel much more stable. I actually don't even notice it moving when I'm playing. Probably will when playing harder in a live situation, but still much more stable than the more vintage style Gibraltar arm.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this setup. This new arm I got would also work great on the "other" end of a boom stand to get two cymbals on one stand.

Attachments

• 20130714_125347.jpg
    20130714_125347.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 705
Back