Just wanted to share this with my fellow drummers

ITOdrummer

Hey everyone, my name is Rob and I play with the band Icarus The Owl. We released a full length in March and since then we've been on two consecutive national tours this year. I just wanted to share this with my fellow drummers as I feel that you will appreciate it! The genre is hard to put a finger on so I'm not gonna bother with all those semantics. The album name is called "Love Always, Leviathan." there are lots of time signatures and interesting modulation going on and not to forget mixed meters and what not. Anyway, please check it out and tell me what you think of the drumming or anything else on the recordings.

P.S. Just because I am posting a band camp link, doesn't mean I am asking you to buy it. This is the only place that you can listen to the whole songs and not 30 second previews without joining a site or downloading spotify or whatever.

http://icarustheowl.bandcamp.com/album/love-always-leviathan

~Rob

You want us to take the time to listen to your work and perhaps even comment on it?

The least you can do is take the time to find the right place to post this... otherwise, it just looks like a poor approach to solicit exposure to your record.

I may give a listen once you have moved it to the right sub-forum.

C'mon, a little effort. After all, its your first post and you are basically advertising your band. You haven't actually contributed anything yet.

It really belongs in "your place", "your playing".

Dennis

You want us to take the time to listen to your work and perhaps even comment on it?

The least you can do is take the time to find the right place to post this... otherwise, it just looks like a poor approach to solicit exposure to your record.

C'mon, a little effort. After all, its your first post and you are basically advertising your band. You haven't actually contributed anything yet.
sheesh- tough room. i'll give a listen, but i'm a noob. and tolerant of other noobs and out of towners.

Wow dude, i'm sorry that i am such a horrible person for posting in the wrong category. I knew it was a bad idea to post anything if everyone is gonna be so conceded about it. It's music, i wanted to share, i didn't tell anyone to buy it, i don't care if you do. there is no reason to be like that, drummers and musicians should be together as a community and be supportive. Is it that hard to give feedback and write a little ps at the end saying by the way you should put it in this category?

Had a listen, my own personally opinion is not great !!
Sorry to be so blunt just being totally honest!

Technically and the level of musicianship is very high but as songs, whilst you promote yourselves as using your words - "Icarus is known for their frequent time signature changes" - that's where it all goes wrong for me, very clever but hey where's the melody ??

You're driving down a road, worked out where you're going and just starting to enjoying the journey, feeling comfortable and having confidence with where you're headed and someone comes along .... bumps you up the rear and totally changes the direction you're going. As soon as you work out where you're now heading and start to relax someone comes and does it all over again, and again, and again until you get fed up and decide you'll stay where you are because haven't a clue where you're actually going and the bumps just become a lot of noise.

Listen to all the greatest songs they have a melody and you kind of know where they're heading and it feels right and draws you in, not something that the second you're starting to feel comfortable it does a complete about turn on you.

So summary ......... very clever and shows a level of musicianship (bit like self gratification in public) but really not something I'd want to listen to.

Sorry if that seems blunt but just my honest opinion.

I honestly don't know why people are hating on you or this wonderful music. I think it's really cool and I've already shared it with a few friends (we're all prog junkies btw). I really like the feel and the overall energy..It reminds me a bit of Children of Nova.. And you guys manage to make the time changes almost unnoticeable most situations. I love the vocals and drumming. The guitar work seems pretty cool(though I'm not a guitarist). Overall I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Had a listen, my own personally opinion is not great !!
Sorry to be so blunt just being totally honest!

Technically and the level of musicianship is very high but as songs, whilst you promote yourselves as using your words - "Icarus is known for their frequent time signature changes" - that's where it all goes wrong for me, very clever but hey where's the melody ??

You're driving down a road, worked out where you're going and just starting to enjoying the journey, feeling comfortable and having confidence with where you're headed and someone comes along .... bumps you up the rear and totally changes the direction you're going. As soon as you work out where you're now heading and start to relax someone comes and does it all over again, and again, and again until you get fed up and decide you'll stay where you are because haven't a clue where you're actually going and the bumps just become a lot of noise.

Listen to all the greatest songs they have a melody and you kind of know where they're heading and it feels right and draws you in, not something that the second you're starting to feel comfortable it does a complete about turn on you.

So summary ......... very clever and shows a level of musicianship (bit like self gratification in public) but really not something I'd want to listen to.

Sorry if that seems blunt but just my honest opinion.

Thanks for checking it out! thats really all i ask. As far as "all the greatest songs" go, that is very vague. there are many great songs that i consider master pieces and others deem garbage, it all depends on the person. plus that whole icarus quote thing on it, we didnt write. its quoted from altpress through a review they did. I don't really understand how you missed the melody though? where isn't the melody? and lastly the time signatures, mixed meters are a rather sophisticated way to play but don't get the impression that our goal is to write in odd time because it isnt. we dont sit down and try and write in a specific time signature, we jam out riffs until we like something and get the numbers later, all of us in the band have a big interest in odd time but we are all for the feel. as for people who dont know where the feel is, well we understand that not everyone likes to actually think about where the meter is.

Again thank you for your input!

I honestly don't know why people are hating on you or this wonderful music. I think it's really cool and I've already shared it with a few friends (we're all prog junkies btw). I really like the feel and the overall energy..It reminds me a bit of Children of Nova.. And you guys manage to make the time changes almost unnoticeable most situations. I love the vocals and drumming. The guitar work seems pretty cool(though I'm not a guitarist). Overall I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

thanks for checking it out man, glad you like it! i dont understand where all the hate came from in the beginning haha, i literally just joined and felt like sharing and bam i am suddenly a terrible human being, but hey if drummers want to put down other drummers and tear the community apart, well i'll just leave. anyway, all the guitars are tapped and the singer plays guitar while singing too. we try to make everything sound as natural as possible and worry about numbers later. again man thanks!!!

Back