Non Drummerworld drummers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So every week I am part of a house band that hosts an open mic blues jam. I get to speak with my fair share of drummers. I just got a new Ludwig BB, and I asked one of the drummers, "hey I just got a new snare drum, when you get up there, do me a favor and hit some nice rim shots so I can evaluate the tone of it from the audience"

"Oh OK, what kind of drum is it?"
"It's a Black Beauty"
"Oh who makes that?"

Here I thought we were about to enter in a great gear discussion, but after his reply I lost all interest.

To me that's like a guitar player asking who makes the Stratocaster.

As a drummer on drummerworld, I feel like I have a college degree compared to a HS diploma for drummers who aren't on DW. There's so much info on here. It really became apparent to me by talking with non DW drummers.

Bernhard has done soo much to raise the game by creating this place. I place Bernhard right along with all the top drummers, for their contributions they made to the world. You really made my world a better place by creating DrummerWorld, Bernhard, and I thank you.

LONG LIVE DRUMMERWORLD!

I also have learned more here from DrummerWorld members than I ever would have from occasional interactions with other drummers.

Thanks Bernhard!

I have noticed that many nonDW drummers don't have a very broad knowledge of drumming topics. More so than issues with gear, I've been disappointed how little so many drummers know about the history of drumming and players.

Jazz, blues, rock, the modern drumset (baseball and lots of other things) are truly unique American creations.

I wish more people took an interest in these sort of things.

Wasn't Black Beauty a horse? ;-)

I found this place about 5 years ago while researching a new kit. After a few days of looking about I decided to put off my purchase until I had read more of the info contained within these hallowed pages. Glad I did. I still had a budget and ended up buying a Taye kit but not until I had exhausted the info on the Taye website as compared to the advice given here. Not just to me but to anyone else that was looking. Once you have learned to pick though the drummers and the guessers the knowledge here on this web site would fill its own Wikipedia.

I think there are just different kinds of drummers/musicians. There are gear heads and non gear heads.

I love this site and have also learned quite a bit. I consider myself a gear head for sure. However, I recently asked a pro drummer friend of mine about his preferences for snare drums. He's a great player, professor at berklee, etc. He said, "to tell you the truth, I'm not all that picky about what I play. Sometimes I like the sound of a beginner snare."

Some of us enjoy getting deep into every detail of the instrument. Some just make music and don't think too much about it. Sometimes I'm jealous of the latter attitude. :)

To each their own.

John

It's more like we educate each other here. I've learned so much. I frequently amaze my drum teacher with the amount of knowledge, thanks to this forum.

Drummerworld Forever!

I think there are just different kinds of drummers/musicians. There are gear heads and non gear heads........

Some of us enjoy getting deep into every detail of the instrument. Some just make music and don't think too much about it. Sometimes I'm jealous of the latter attitude. :)

To each their own.

John

This is very true and adds perspective. You are totally right, and I shouldn't detract from the people who don't SEEM as serious as myself. But really, what drummer never heard of a BB lol?
JK. The one thing all drummers seem to know about, more than any other drumming subject...Gear, what else? It's not like I asked him to play a triple ratamacue groove...

I guess I was a little disappointed, I wanted to have a knowledgeable discussion with a fellow drummer, but he wasn't what I was hoping for.

This is very true and adds perspective. You are totally right, and I shouldn't detract from the people who don't SEEM as serious as myself. But really, what drummer never heard of a BB lol?
JK. The one thing all drummers seem to know about, more than any other drumming subject...Gear, what else? It's not like I asked him to play a triple ratamacue groove...

I guess I was a little disappointed, I wanted to have a knowledgeable discussion with a fellow drummer, but he wasn't what I was hoping for.

Larry..there are more guys out there than you know,who don't know a thing about their instrument or the guys before him that have played it.

I love all the history and music of other players,as well as vintage gear,and current drums,hardware and cymbals.I think it gives you perspective,and perspective makes you a better drummer,because it changes how you approach drums and drumming in a musical context.

Steve B

Larry..there are more guys out there than you know,who don't know a thing about their instrument or the guys before him that have played it.

I love all the history and music of other players,as well as vintage gear,and current drums,hardware and cymbals.I think it gives you perspective,and perspective makes you a better drummer,because it changes how you approach drums and drumming in a musical context.

Steve B

It's interesting. I got away from drums for a while. Took up the guitar. Started studying music theory again, bought some instructional DVD's from a great guitarist in Boston named Tomo Fujita. I contacted him and set up some private lessons. He happened to live near me. He's also a professor at Berklee.

I thought I'd get there and impress him with some knowledge of theory, etc. His attitude was, "great! Now forget all that and play music.". Tomo is a definite gear head but his first concern is the music. That definitely gave me perspective that I still use now that I'm back to full-on drumming.

All that said, who the hell never heard of a BB? :)

I agree, but I can see both sides.

When I first got into computers and programming 15 years ago I was obsessed with it all just like I am now with drums. I spent all my free time programming and talking about it in places like this... soaking up the knowledge. I spent my money on new hardware/software, and was pretty knowledgeable in those areas.

Now... I'm doing it for a living, and I still enjoy it (a lot), but I just lost interest in certain aspects of it, like the hardware (gear). 15 yrs ago I knew about every voodoo, nvidia, ati, video card before they came out... Now I have no idea what is out there (does ati still exist? i know voodoo doesn't), and don't really care. I learn new programming languages, and concepts when I need to for work, but not just for the hell of it like I used to... Basically I lost the obsession with it, and moved onto other things.

I his new book The Evolution of Jazz Drumming, Danny Gottlieb includes the Founding of Drummerworld as a significant occurrence in the lineage of drum history. Thanks Bernard!! You could have spent your time developing Facebook.

Awesome, well deserved, hope there's more recognition for Bernhard, and even better, a boatload of dough.

I agree, but I can see both sides.

When I first got into computers and programming 15 years ago I was obsessed with it all just like I am now with drums. I spent all my free time programming and talking about it in places like this... soaking up the knowledge. I spent my money on new hardware/software, and was pretty knowledgeable in those areas.

Now... I'm doing it for a living, and I still enjoy it (a lot), but I just lost interest in certain aspects of it, like the hardware (gear). 15 yrs ago I knew about every voodoo, nvidia, ati, video card before they came out... Now I have no idea what is out there (does ati still exist? i know voodoo doesn't), and don't really care. I learn new programming languages, and concepts when I need to for work, but not just for the hell of it like I used to... Basically I lost the obsession with it, and moved onto other things.

AMD bought ATI so that named is slowly being phased out.;-) I am the same way with PC's and technology. Once it turned into a career, I lost my passion. It's hard to believe that could ever happen with drums.
The great thing about drums is that certain things don't change for many years at a time. A Black Beauty is a Black Beauty whether it's brand new or 30 years old.. A Pentium II won't cut it these days and an I7 won't cut it in ten years. Unlike technology, there's just not a lot of improvements that can be made when it comes to drums. My Yamaha MCA's are just as good (if not better) than they were when I got them 10 years ago. My Pentium III isn't.
Sorry to get off subject.

Pentium III yuk yuk.

Blast from the past.

The majority of what I know about gear, I've learnt here in just a few short years. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting into the nitty grittys of the instrument and have become far more interested in all the different gear than I ever was.
However, I did own a Black Beauty prior to joining though....no need to tell me who makes it.

There are some people who just aren't interested though. They hear a sound, know they like it and don't question it too much from there. My old man is one of them. I'll be talking about P-83's and P-85's and his respone is, "does it engage/disengage the snare wires when I pull the leaver?....great then give it to me and I'll play it." Then I proceed to watch him play it and I'm forced to admit that not knowing the difference between a strainer is really pretty inconsequential, when all is said and done. The man can play and that's all that really matters.

It can be fun to know....but it doesn't help you groove. :)

I know nothing about Black Beauty snare drums. Nothing. Zilch.

Larry, the only difference between the drummer you talked about in the OP and me is, when you asked for the rimshot, I would have just said "okay" and wouldn't have asked what kind of drum it is or who made it.

As you know, I'm not into gear. My brain doesn't work that way. If I'm not satisfied with my sound I adjust. I mess with my stroke and where on the head I'm tapping, the tuning and, as a last resort, I might change the head. It would never occur to me to buy another set.

The logic behind this? If Steve Gadd played any set I've ever owned, with any kind of tuning, it would sound fantastic. So I know the sweet spot always exists ... it's up to me to find it.

I have no idea if anyone else thinks like this.

PS. But I've learned heaps from DW - just not much about drum brands :)

I use DummerWorld since 2006, it has poped up on google search when I was looking for a pro drummer, never looked back since, this is THE BEST site for drummers created by a drummer, thank you Bernhard.

I have watch hundreds of videos of all these wonderful drummers, read their biography, discovered new bands and artists on which my favorites drummers have played on recordings that I didn't know about.

As far as gear is concerned, I've always checked the new stuff, read magazines (Rythm, Drum Magazine, Modern Drummer) kept myself updated within the industry of drum maufacturing, visiting regularly the website of brands that i'm finding interesting.

I've been also quite interested in the history of some brands of drums, it's nice to know what happen before.

For me music and drums is a passion.

So this year I decided that I would join the forum discussion after visiting it as a guest for a few years.

I love DrummerWorld, once again, THANK YOU Bernhard

Last edited:
Back