Finally gave it a shot have to share

bgood

I've been lurking around here for a few months learning from all you folks -thanks- and taking weekly lessons for the last 19 months from a great teacher. It's been a cool journey so far with alot of ups and downs but I really like the drums and think it's made me a better guitar player (30 years on guitar) which was my original objective for picking up some sticks.

Anyway, I'm a regular guitar player at my local jam for 5+ years and finally got up as a drummer for the first time.

I was pretty nervous. Good players, friendly crowd but a little intimidating. I think it went pretty well though and I think I surprised some people. Nice to cross that milestone and I can't wait for another chance to play. For playing only three tunes I feel like I learned a lot from the experience. Very fired up to tackle the inevitable learning curve challenges to come. I actually believe I can do this now!

I've been lurking around here for a few months learning from all you folks -thanks- and taking weekly lessons for the last 19 months from a great teacher. It's been a cool journey so far with alot of ups and downs but I really like the drums and think it's made me a better guitar player (30 years on guitar) which was my original objective for picking up some sticks.

Anyway, I'm a regular guitar player at my local jam for 5+ years and finally got up as a drummer for the first time.

I was pretty nervous. Good players, friendly crowd but a little intimidating. I think it went pretty well though and I think I surprised some people. Nice to cross that milestone and I can't wait for another chance to play. For playing only three tunes I feel like I learned a lot from the experience. Very fired up to tackle the inevitable learning curve challenges to come. I actually believe I can do this now!

I'll congratulate you , Any Guitarist that ventures into the World of Drumming deserves respect. where is the thumbs up icon?

Oh I say, well done - and welcome, not only to the forum but also to the Good Side ;)

I actually believe I can do this now!

Awesome. :)

1335542982580_1482241.png

Good for you man! Get ready for the drummer jokes!

Hi Ggood and welcome to DW and a big congratulations. The first time is the scariest after that it just gets easier and easier. Having fun playing with others at an open jams is one of the best parts. Who knows you might get ask to play with a band as their drummer? Good luck from your new friend Force3005.

You have a distinct advantage over musicians that only play drums, because as a guitarist, you know what a guitarist needs from a drummer. Most drummers have to learn this. And congratulations for stepping up.

Thanks for the feedback. Now it's back to the reality of working through my practice regimen and realizing how far I have to go. George Lawrence Stone is currently busting my chops along with Carmine Appice, Tommy Igoe and the NARD solos book. But, as long as I can get a little jamming in once in a while with something other than a CD, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, not too many bands want a 50 year old rookie drummer - so I better keep going.

Thanks for the feedback. Now it's back to the reality of working through my practice regimen and realizing how far I have to go. George Lawrence Stone is currently busting my chops along with Carmine Appice, Tommy Igoe and the NARD solos book. But, as long as I can get a little jamming in once in a while with something other than a CD, I'll be happy. Unfortunately, not too many bands want a 50 year old rookie drummer - so I better keep going.

Go to open mic jams.

You can practice in the basement for years but playing with other people is where you really understand how drums work.

Open mic jams.

Attend.

That is all :)

You have a distinct advantage over musicians that only play drums, because as a guitarist, you know what a guitarist needs from a drummer. Most drummers have to learn this. And congratulations for stepping up.

very well put. agree with all of this...

Hey Bgood, 50 is not that old, I am 57 and the oldest by over just over 30 years in the band I have playing with going on three now. Don't sell yourself short. You have a lot of musical experience under your belt. Age is only in your mind and anyway music makes everyone feel young in mind, sprite and body.

Back