Yamaha Rock tour or Pearl VBX?

[email protected]

I've been looking into buying a new kit...... I found a 6 pc (2 up 2 down) Pearl VBX that I like but I'm also interested in the new Yamaha rock tour 3 pc (1 up 1 down). Any advice?

The Yamaha sounds low and thuddy with its bigger sizes and mahogany. The pearl sounds a bit more melodic with its studio sized toms which I would prefer.

Other thing to consider if you choose the yamaha - if you want more than 2 toms you have to go to the trouble of buying a new one, whatever that involves.

I have played a vision and I liked it... but I own a stage custom and that's more comparable to the pearl than the rock tour kit.. and I think the tom mounts and stands are a bit better on the stage custom.

The VBX was my first choice. I'm hoping it all works out but its an eBay transaction and I've had several transactions fall through in the past due to shipping rates.

Any recommendations for drum heads on the VBX? I was thinking Evans G2's myself.

Yeah probably g2's or ec2's.

I always ask about shipping before I commit to buy, but then I'm in Australia.

ROCK TOUR.

I own and use one live, it's a fantastic kit with great hardware.
I've found the tom mounts on the Pearl have a tendency to choke the sound a bit.

And if you want more toms, the Rock Tour ad-ons are easy to find right now and they are low priced due to them kit no longer being in production.

I've been looking into buying a new kit...... I found a 6 pc (2 up 2 down) Pearl VBX that I like but I'm also interested in the new Yamaha rock tour 3 pc (1 up 1 down). Any advice?

I'd go for the Rock Tour.

But they're not really new - they're discontinued, but still available new.

ROCK TOUR.

I've found the tom mounts on the Pearl have a tendency to choke the sound a bit.

And if you want more toms, the Rock Tour ad-ons are easy to find right now and they are low priced due to them kit no longer being in production.

As far as the add-ons go, The VBX is a 6 piece and is actually less than the Rock Tour. I would only need to buy the 8x7 tom to complete the full setup but the Yammy is only a 3 piece. I plan to swap out the ISS mounts with Optimounts.

I love the virgin kick on the Rock Tours but that can be easily remedied with a Pearl tom mount cover.
The only other thing I'm torn about is the finish. I love the rock tour finishes but the VBX comes in Orange (my fav color).

Last edited:
$T2eC16N,!ycFIdgsrBSMBSYHcGS5P!~~60_12.JPG
I've decided to go ahead and go through with the Ebay transaction and get the Pearl VBX kit. The seller has been more than helpful and even dropped the price for me. He's even willing to keep shipping at the same price which is unheard of living in Alaska. If it falls through I'll definitely be getting the Yammies.

Last edited:
ROCK TOUR.

I own a Rock Tour as well, and it sounds great. Despite what most people will say about the mahogany shells, they don't have to be all low and boomy. You can get a great higher pitched sound with tons of resonance if you want, and if you tune it right, the kick drum is KILLER.

BUT, I have to disagree about the add-ons. Well, I guess it depends on the finish. I got the textured green sunburst finish, and I've been searching up and down for a 10" tom. They're nearly impossible to find right now, and I'm afraid that when a few do come up for sale, they will be part of a full kit, or they will be beat up and mistreated. I managed to find the 14" floor tom, which I may be ordering in the near future.

I know that Visions are also incredible for the price you pay, but then you have to deal with those dreadful Pearl tom mounts.

All in all, if you want to add on at some point or think you may need to find replacement parts at some point, the Vision kit is definitely what you want to get.

Back