What I hate hearing!!!

Put enough parameters into a computer and you can have a much more fun and unpredictable time with computers than you can with other people!

Unless you have a crew who are interested in getting edgy. Hard to find, though. Last time I answered an ad talking about experimental music their samples sounded like indie.

I like Red House :)

Here's a novel jam idea...pick words that contain only the first 7 letters of the alphabet and use the chords, in order, to make a progression.

For instance, Cream's song "Badge"...On a lark, one time at my Sunday open mic thing I asked the leader if the chords to Badge matched the letters in the title. No they didn't, but we jammed on a B-A-D-G-E progression. It was...interesting.

The idea of a crew. How quaint! Nope. This is absolute fascism. Nobody to control.

That's not fascism. How can the individual serve the state when there aren't any individuals?

I don't mind starting improvisational things. If we want to be treated like equal musicians, we should act like composers as much as anybody else.

I hate jam sessions where the guitarist says "just play something". It's like they don't realize it also matters what they play. I prefer to have the bass player start so I can hear a few measures first. Don't hear too many "bass solos". Anyone else feel this way or dealt with it?

Play a 5/4 or a bosa nova- they won't ask again...

The idea of a crew. How quaint! Nope. This is absolute fascism. Nobody to control.

Absolute freedom, more like it - although I expect you are a harsh taskmaster ... Schnell Herr Duncan! Servieren Sie den Zustand von einem!
(courtesy Google translate)
I'm an easy boss ... the usual management dynamic being, "Oops, that sounds bad, better come up with something to cover it up". Sometimes the patchup jobs sound better than the track proper :)

That's not fascism. How can the individual serve the state when there aren't any individuals?

I don't mind starting improvisational things. If we want to be treated like equal musicians, we should act like composers as much as anybody else.

Because the individual in this instance is the state and is serving only him or her self. Simple.

And Grea, that's Obergruppenführer Duncan to you!

I hate jam sessions where the guitarist says "just play something". It's like they don't realize it also matters what they play. I prefer to have the bass player start so I can hear a few measures first. Don't hear too many "bass solos". Anyone else feel this way or dealt with it?

I just try and play what I hear in real time or I listen to the CD or him first but seriously you need more sound! bass, keyboards maybe another guitars, vocals, for example.

But yes some times you have to be asked to do stupid things, like one time I was asked to copy a drum beat that was played in a loop that was from a drum machine and I couldn't even get it played when I was recording my drums.

I argued and argued and frankly, won it. he just left it, you usually get stuff like this when the person doesn't knowledge the role and characteristics of drums but try not to get too mad with him : )

if somebody asks me to play something there is usually a specific genre but seldom get told, I need something to drive me and keep my playing in direction with the measures and the sections of the song, and to give me ideas if its musical.

when he says play something.....just play something

you are a drummer , correct?

so drum

I have always found the best way to start a jam is with a minimalist approach

just some rhythms ....... very sparse stuff ...maybe 3 notes per measure

if you just bust in with a full blown groove that leaves you with a low ceiling and you are more likely to bump your head and have nowhere else to go ......to me that is like starting in the middle or near the end of the jam itself

always start with something that will give you maximum expansion area

a starting point ....so the band together can dictate the destination point

as opposed to just busting in with....say....a funk groove.....right off the bat you are basically dictating the destination point and partially defeating the purpose of a jam

to me a jam starts with a planted seed and grows into a tree by everyone being patient and LISTENING!!!!!!!

Anytime anybody asks me that (not very often these days), I just play the intro to "That Thing You Do"

I hate jam sessions where the guitarist says "just play something".

When this happen, I don't mind starting a "jam" and I always start with a very simple groove at mid tempo and let the "pattern(s)" develop according to what the other instruments are playing, I like to do it that way, it's "neutral", it's only a pulse, when a guitarist or a bass player start a jam, there's already some kind of pattern/vibe/feel in what they choose to play and it gives a direction/color of what the jam's going to be in terms of style and rhythm.

I like jamming, many songs came from "jams" initially, although the end product is often heavily re-arranged, the seeds/birth of some songs came through jamming together.

Also, there's jamming and jamming, it's not the same if you play with someone first time or if it's with your band where everyone knows each other really well.

I love starting things off. It doesn't happen often enough. It's a great opportunity to kick things
off with a groove that isn't used in other songs we play. Eventually, the "new to the band groove" may be incorporated into more general use.

Back