Need some advice playing doubles and double bass

howidied

hey, I got a double bass pedal like 6 weeks ago didnt focus on it to much but now id like to incomponate some double bass do my music. But I got a problem that my left foot cant keep up with the right and is really not good. I tryed to max out with both legs and did aabout 180 bpm eights on right without tensing up but my right cant do even 120... I also feel like im not using my shin muscles but my whole legs... I play heel up.

when playing 32nd notes with arms do you use doubles or single stroke? seems to me that I should to play doubles really fast but when I play them they seem like theyre not even. I try to play them push pull. any tips thanks

Practice.
Start slow and keep on for a while. Won't take you a night or two, but after two weeks or so you'll definitely feel something. Derek Roddy and Mike Mangini has come up with great exercises! Just google for 'em... :)

Six weeks to 180bpm double bass isn't easy, it took me about 7 months, like Cameo said, start slow and look at the Derek Roddy exercises, 100-130 bpm sounds like a good starting point.

when you say your using you whole leg you should be at slower speeds, I've never used ankle playing for double bass though so I don't know what speed you should make a switch at but i believe it goes... Whole leg (100-150) > Hip (140-190) > Ankle (180+) youll probably notice they over lap but its a rough guide. The best advice I can give you is to no go looking for techniques or what playing you should be doing, just go play the damn things.

Let me point out though there's a lot more to double bass then speed, there's endurance, balance and Independence from both your legs and the rest of you.

Try to get your feet as even as possible. Usually this means focusing on your weaker foot - this isn't always going to be fun but it will help you a lot. Identify your weaker/weakest points and work on it.

Check out Derek Roddy's structured lessons for speed/endurance Part 2 & 3 - here's Part 2:
Derek Roddys Drum Lessons & Solos Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP_stPGI

...and Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3SLe6VjmE

Don't overthink (in terms of technique)! That's what many drummers are doing. But always keep listening to your body and make adjustments (spring tension, pedal distance, throne height... any parameter involved).

Stay patient, focused and disciplined. Try to find ways to practice your feet even when you're away from a kit. Gather as many "flight hours" as possible, it will all sum up.

hey, I got a double bass pedal like 6 weeks ago didnt focus on it to much but now id like to incomponate some double bass do my music. But I got a problem that my left foot cant keep up with the right and is really not good. I tryed to max out with both legs and did aabout 180 bpm eights on right without tensing up but my right cant do even 120... I also feel like im not using my shin muscles but my whole legs... I play heel up.

when playing 32nd notes with arms do you use doubles or single stroke? seems to me that I should to play doubles really fast but when I play them they seem like theyre not even. I try to play them push pull. any tips thanks

The key here is 6 WEEKS AGO. LOL I have been playing double bass for years and am still improving. It takes serious time get that strength, speed, and eveness in your feet. You cannot expect drastic results that quickly. Stop worrying about BPM for now with you double pedal and focus on your left foot's technique at extremely slow pace. Exaggerate the motions and focus on not using your whole leg. The technique takes time, but if you slow down and get that down, once the technique falls into place your progress will explode! Trust me.

hey, so far.... so good... so what. been pratcicng mostly my left foot over the weekend must ssay my control got a better and in that terms I got a bit faster. yaay.

anyway, I got an extra spare bass pedal at home which I got along with my drum set, would like to use it for home practice, like when doing practice pad or watching tv or whatever so far ive been hitting the leg of a table lol but it feels like shit, anyone who has experienced a similar situation? :D

thanks for all response, im definitely trying that guys practice routine.

"so far.... so good... so what" Megadeth \m/ but seriously...
When I practiced I taped a pillow to the wall with gaffer tape, its still there, the feel isn't like a bass drum, but it lowers rebound making you sort of increase power in your leg, and faster on a bass drum, its also quiet so there's no complaints, you could also not tape it and just carry a pillow to where your going to practice.

Defiantly do Derek Roddys routine but start a lot slower then 180 like he says, it helps loads, plus Derek's a god at double bass and just drumming over all.

Back