Double Bass Drumming

Not a bad article, but it feels like it should be the beginning of a much larger one. Like after all you've written there should be practice tips, drills, etc.

If you choose to use a double bass pedal, don’t get something cheap. Spend at least $200 or more on your pedal

DAMN I hope people pay attention to that. I get sick of hearing about people asking which "beginner pedal" to get.

Thanks so much for your input. I totally agree.

Cheap pedals can really be frustrating...and I am a person who enjoys saving money.

I am in the process of planning that out. I wanted to start listing routines that I've used with students.

You think that would be a good idea?

I liked the article. Nice job.

You could maybe add a little excerpt about stretching. I see a lot of drummers jump into double bass playing without adequate stretching of the calf and the muscle in front of it, or without any knowledge of the value of stretching.

I thought about your reply while running today. You're absolutely right. So many things in drumming are discussed from a technical and musical perspective. In addition to that, this instrument is physical, regardless of how relaxed you play.

Stretching should be a part of every drummers practice and warm up routine.

Nice article, Thanks! One thing for me, though...I've been playing dbl bass for some years now and I use dbl pedals as well as two bass drums. For me, I can get way more power and a more even sound using two bass drums, regardless of how good the double pedal is. It may be just all in my head and others may disagree, but that's what I always have found.

There are some venues we play where there is no room for two bass drums so a dbl pedal is a necessity. For those gigs, I'll practice with the band using the dbl pedal for a week or two prior so I get used to the slightly different feel.

I agree that two bass drums are more powerful than a single bass drum and a double pedal. I guess its equivalent to having two speakers blasting music in stereo sound versus one.

Do you get the tuning exactly the same?

How long does that take you?

Back