DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Ever bought a recording just because it featured the kind of drums you have?

This is probably really silly, but I want to make sure I'm not alone.

Have you ever bought a recording just because the drummer used the same kind of drums (or other equipment) that you use?

I did.

See, this was back when YouTube wasn't such a thing, and I was living out in the mountains of NC and the best we had was dial-up internet. There was no sitting around listening to stuff online without waiting 45 min. for a 3 min. video to load (this is the part where millennials think I'm joking).

So I know when I first got my first set of USA Pork Pie Customs, I bought everything I knew that featured a set of Pork Pie USA drums:

Joe Porter from Jars of Clay played them, so I tried to get my hands on any Jars project during the time he played with them.

The Ataris' Live at Capitol Milling DVD.

MXPX's At The Show live CD

It seems like there's a couple more that I can't think of right now...

So am I the only one who bought music just because it had the same series of equipment you had/have? I can't be alone here.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 09-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ever bought a recording just because it featured the kind of drums you have?

No, but I have bought CD's because of the drummer, such as Brian Blade, Gregg Bissonette, and Carl Allen. Peace and goodwill.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Ever bought a recording just because it featured the kind of drums you have?

I'm afraid Ive never been that financially sound.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Recordings with Pearl Exports? :D
Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Tim Alexander also played Pork Pie on Sailing the Seas of Cheese and Pork Soda.

I've definitely bought kits because they were used on records I loved the sound of. That's how I ended up with a stop sign badge Gretsch - Them Crooked Vultures was on repeat in the car, then I found the kit and had to buy it.

But I can't think of too many drummers who specifically play Birch Absolutes - lots of guys play Recording Customs, and a part of why I went with the Absolutes was that relative rarity. So I can't say I've ever bought a record to hear my own drums on it.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Up One Down View Post
Here ya go, I used what I had.

Lord of Storms/Dead Kings Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RAmuZV4mxry-Ug

To answer the question, no. I have bought lots of music based solely on the cover art though.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Never. But before doing this again, you should consider that lots of recordings are done with drums that are in-house of the studio, or chosen for that record, that differ in brands from those the drummer endorses or uses in public.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Never even crossed my mind.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 AM

Although the liner notes may say drummer XYZ endorses this brand, don't be surprised if another brand may be used in the recording.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 AM

hey hey, that's awesome, thanks for posting that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Here ya go, I used what I had.

Lord of Storms/Dead Kings Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RAmuZV4mxry-Ug

To answer the question, no. I have bought lots of music based solely on the cover art though.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a Jack Dejohnette CD because he played Sonorlites on it, but also because he's a great drummer.

I wouldn't buy a recording just because of the drums model.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
Although the liner notes may say drummer XYZ endorses this brand, don't be surprised if another brand may be used in the recording.
Lars caught some crap because of this. There is a video of him using Sabian cymbals during the black album recording, but he is a Zildjian endorser. You can see it in the Nothing Else Matters video.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

A modern take on this idea is that I've searched online for reviews and demos of the drums I own . Mainly to hear other's drummers playing them. That and to sooth my "confirmation bias".

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 09-15-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Up One Down View Post
Maybe look into POD's Brown album.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Never. But before doing this again, you should consider that lots of recordings are done with drums that are in-house of the studio, or chosen for that record, that differ in brands from those the drummer endorses or uses in public.

This is why two of the recordings were live.

In addition, I don't ever plan on doing this again because of the internet because there are plenty of samples now as opposed to the dial-up days.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Maybe look into POD's Brown album.
That guy Wuv...he had a cool style! I dug some of their stuff. He had an interesting MD interview years ago, yup played Pearl, cited the drummer from the Cars as an influence, hadnt heard that before from a pro drummer.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Never bought a recording because of the type of drums used on it. Bought tons though because of the drummer who played on them. Discovered some great music that way. Pineapple Thief comes immediately to mind.