Snare Cord - What Knot?

Use a square knot. It won't come undone.

Square knot here also.

Square Knot. Not the longest lasting but easy to undo to change snares. You can actually tie a double and it will still be a easy to undo.

On the topic of snare string, does it offer any advantage - other than old timely coolth - over the plastic ribbon/strip?

I tend to think if you put the cord thru the outside holes on the snares you get more even pull, although minimal. But the straps are indestructible. (enter how you break them all of the time comment here)

Unless you have a P-83, who uses knots? The clamp thingys on the strainer and the butt strap plate holds my straight snare strings. Straight snare strings. Try saying THAT 3x fast.

Unless you have a P-83, who uses knots? The clamp thingys on the strainer and the butt strap plate holds my straight snare strings. Straight snare strings. Try saying THAT 3x fast.

Dude, I'm still trying to get past "butt strap plate" without hearing Dueling Banjos.

Last edited:
I tend to think if you put the cord thru the outside holes on the snares you get more even pull, although minimal. But the straps are indestructible. (enter how you break them all of the time comment here)

I broke one. As a young man I was in a Who cover band. At the end of "My Generation" I kicked my drum set over and knocked down my snare drum. As the snare rolled off the stage, the snare strap broke.

Being somewhat of a nautical person I use what I call a modified Capuchin knot. It is what the Capuchin monks tied to keep their cord belts from fraying. The modification is that you take both ends of the snare cord and put them together and tie the Capuchin with 2 strands rather than one.

Square knots are okay but sometimes they will come undone if not under strain, especially when using a material that is not a natural fiber.

But... Larry makes a good point. The pressure from the clamp is probably sufficient to hold the ends in place, but for the sake of keeping things ship shape in Bristol fashion some type of knot or other fancywork is much more pleasing to the eye.

So, you're a nautical person who lives in Tidewater. How fitting. My name is Larry and I live on Lawrence Circle. I pretend the street was named for me so it makes me feel somewhat important, even though I'm not.

I don't tie a knot because it doesn't need one, so why should I waste time being redundant? Never had a snare cord slip. Plus knots look dumb. Not really, I just want to vent on something. Dumb knots.

I was working on my Acrolite, which has one of the P85's without the strap-bracket on the front.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120756

The main reason I wanted to use string was that I had simply never done it before, and figured I might as well learn, and learn to do it correctly. Aside from that, I'm going to guess that straps are far superior.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I went with Square/Reef for my first try.

mBxz0zE.jpg

Last edited:
I was working on my Acrolite, which has one of the P85's without the strap-bracket on the front.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120756

The main reason I wanted to use string was that I had simply never done it before, and figured I might as well learn, and learn to do it correctly. Aside from that, I'm going to guess that straps are far superior.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I went with Square/Reef for my first try.

mBxz0zE.jpg

I went to professional drum shop today to get my Acrolite fixed and I noticed he used square knots. I had cord on the strainer side, and I had a strap on the butt strip side. He replaced them both with blue cord, not the usual white nylon cord that I'm used to.

I went to professional drum shop today to get my Acrolite fixed and I noticed he used square knots. I had cord on the strainer side, and I had a strap on the butt strip side. He replaced them both with blue cord, not the usual white nylon cord that I'm used to.

I'm curious as to what snare wires you're using and whether it's an over or under channel. I went with a L1939 20-strand and it was counter to the guides I found. At least it was extremely obvious when it was done incorrectly.

I'm curious as to what snare wires you're using and whether it's an over or under channel. I went with a L1939 20-strand and it was counter to the guides I found. At least it was extremely obvious when it was done incorrectly.
I'm just using the standard 16 strand wires. They're probably the original wires that came with the drum back in 1981 or whenever this thing was made. I use 16 strand wires on every snare drum. I'm not sure what you mean by over channel or under channel, sorry about that. The drum sounds phenomenal though and I love the thing.

TBH, Neither did I till this afternoon.

Under-Channel
IPHzIfj.jpg

Over-Channel
2jClped.jpg

That is kind of what I thought you meant. Definitely over channel. I just learned something today myself. Thank you
He also fixed my P 85 strainer using a simple pair of pliers and twisting it back into shape. Then he showed me where exactly to apply the oil to the strainer mechanism on the outside right below the twist knob that tightens it up. So I learned something else today. Now I can fix the P 85 on my other snare drum also.

Last edited:
Back