Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is

nocTurnal

I love it when that synthesizer fades in around the 40 second mark in Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is". Man, that is such a powerful effect. It's like this.. grandiose moment or something. Absolutely brilliant. Not the first time I've heard this song, this just stuck out more than ever for me. Heard this one on the radio recently, and then took my Greatest Hits of theirs out and have been listening to this. This is one song that I have to turn down at red lights. LoL. Just too embarrassed to have this one playing loud.

I think Foreigner has some great songs. I'm a fan of the "4" album.

But that song is where they jumped the shark, IMHO.

Personally, I'd settle for remembering what love is ...

I do remember many years ago excitedly buying the debut album of this new band with Ian McDonald in it ... Ian McDonald! ... Ian McDonald, leading light of King Crimson's legendary In the Court of the Crimson King!

Who knows what amazing new music lies within this thin cardboard cover! Grandiosity! Virtuosity! Innovations! Crazy time changes! Something special that's out of the ordinary! That touch of genius!

With trembling hand I put the needle to the vinyl and ... WTF???!!?? ... just poppy AOR. Dime a dozen.

Rats.

Mellowed by age I heard the song again on the car radio the other day for the first time in years - and enjoyed it. It's very good for what it is.

I do remember many years ago excitedly buying the debut album of this new band with Ian McDonald in it ... Ian McDonald! ... Ian McDonald, leading light of King Crimson's legendary In the Court of the Crimson King!

Who knows what amazing new music lies within this thin cardboard cover! Grandiosity! Virtuosity! Innovations! Crazy time changes! Something special that's out of the ordinary! That touch of genius!

With trembling hand I put the needle to the vinyl and ... WTF???!!?? ... just poppy AOR. Dime a dozen.

Rats.

You mean it didn't feel like the first time? :p

I'm always a bit surprised for as many hit songs as he played on, the name Dennis Elliot never became well known in the drummer world.

You mean it didn't feel like the first time? :p

I'm always a bit surprised for as many hit songs as he played on, the name Dennis Elliot never became well known in the drummer world.

LOL - do you mean like the very first time? It felt like the 4,633rd time actually, hence the disappointment ...

Despite my misgivings, I went to see them when they toured here so I could at least see one KC member in the flesh. As it turned out, yes, Dennis Elliott played some terrific drums. Wikipedia tells me that he later quit the music biz to become a sculptor, so I can settle for a Captain Beefheart connection there :)

PFOG, ya boozehound, any excuse!

LOL - do you mean like the very first time? It felt like the 4,633rd time actually, hence the disappointment ...

Despite my misgivings, I went to see them when they toured here so I could at least see one KC member in the flesh. As it turned out, yes, Dennis Elliott played some terrific drums. Wikipedia tells me that he later quit the music biz to become a sculptor, so I can settle for a Captain Beefheart connection there :)

PFOG, ya boozehound, any excuse!

I ended up seeing them a few years back for some reason or another. I was floored when I realized I had head every single song they had played on the radio 1001 times. I never quite realized just how many hits they had.

Back