Simon Phillips

Most amazing groove by Simon Phillips! ( video inside )

Hello fellow boardmembers. yes, I know that I've been posting tons of SP videos but I recently got some video bootlegs with him and this is a drumforum so what the heck!

Anyway, Here's a video taken at a clinic in 2004 I believe where Simon plays the ending of his solo. And It's really cool. His bassdrums are doing one, his right hand is playing a solid beat and the left hand is constantly playing the octobans at another tempo. Comments are wecome! :)

HERE it is!!!

Re: Most amazing groove by Simon Phillips! ( video inside )

Wow, that is amazing!!! Woow, he has got coordination...amazing groove but he looks sooo concentrated...but I have to say: this looks very difficult!! Great stufff you posted here Robin!

PS.: I`m happy that you PM me the newest videos of our hero...Sir Simon Phillips.

Karl

Re: Most amazing groove by Simon Phillips! ( video inside )

This is an updated version of something he did in one of his DCI videos. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's more connected than you might think. Here's how part of it goes together.
The left hand and the feet are playing groups of 3 16ths, but the left hand is going around the 4 octobans. Then with the right hand he's playing a kick snare pattern with the gong bass drum. The whole thing is moving at the same rate/tempo though. What makes it extra tricky is how long the whole pattern plays before it all lines up the same way again. I hope that makes some kind of sense. Check out his DCI video for a "slower" version of it.

Hey guys. I found some new pictures taken of Simon Phillips. These were taken in early April 2006 on the "Falling In Between" tour that TOTO is doing right now.

wlviq9.jpg

wlvivb.jpg

wlvj2r.jpg

wlvj80.png

wlvj9c.jpg

i love his playing .. ecpecially the one he does with mike oldfield.. amazing things what this guy can do .. i would love to see the drum solo he does on livefields btw. my friends and i used to wake up my neighbours by playing, really loud, the first second of hold the line from livefields.. .. well we thought it was funny.. and it has a cool sound.. jeff porcarco was also a great drummer though.. no doubt..

infernal drummer said:
i love his playing .. ecpecially the one he does with mike oldfield.. amazing things what this guy can do .. i would love to see the drum solo he does on livefields btw. my friends and i used to wake up my neighbours by playing, really loud, the first second of hold the line from livefields.. .. well we thought it was funny.. and it has a cool sound.. jeff porcarco was also a great drummer though.. no doubt..
Well, I uploaded TONS of SP videos to Youtube.com so feel free and those and comment if you will!

Here they are : http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Simon+phillips&search_type=search_videos

awesome site thank you robin the clinic solo 2004 with octobans was just what i was looking for

Last edited:
infernal drummer said:
awesome site thank you robin the clinic solo 2004 with octobans was just what i was looking for
Yeah, that groove is so freakin cool!

A very intense drumsolo by Simon Phillips ( Video inside )

Yes, I know some people don't like him and his soloing but I don't care. hahahaha.

Anyway, here's a drumsolo taken during the Toto tour in 2000 in Bulgaria. This is one of the more intense solos I've seen of Simon and I think It's a very good one too.

Sorry about the sound problem. It's about 1-2 seconds after the video but It's definitely "watchable"!

Here it is!!!

Feel free to comment!!

Re: A very intense drumsolo by Simon Phillips ( Video inside )

GREATEST solo I`ve ever seen by Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he shows all his dynamics and sensivity! great grooves and his drums (especially the toms sound delicious!!!!!

Great one, Robin!! GREAT ONE!
this was this "Lifefields" tour, or?

Karl

Yes, this was during the third leg of the Livefields tour in the summer of 2000. Glad you enjoyed, Karl!

I agree with Drummer Karl, that was the best solo I have seen from him. Nice use of the octobans and BDs together. Very cool solo.

Fur drummer said:
I agree with Drummer Karl, that was the best solo I have seen from him. Nice use of the octobans and BDs together. Very cool solo.

and it was far the best tom sound I`ve ever heard from Simon`s Maples!!!! nice, warm, clean...
just love it!

Karl

That was awesome!!! That groove at the end is mindblowing? How on earth does he do that?! I've never seen a Phillips solo this wild. Thanks for posting, brother!

to me: not much mindblowing, but pretty good [though i'm probably pretty hard to please]

I'm curious, What is Toto doing right now?

Rare footage of Simon Phillips' instructional video!

Yet again, some more SP video. Here's some amazing playing from his instructional video released in 1992. And yes, that long hair and those pants are neat hahahahaha.

here it is :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIV16KybRRo

Back