snare drum materials

Right, I currently have a Mapex Meridian Maple snare, I'm happy with it at the moment, but before I go to university next year I intend to buy a new one. Can someone tell me if different materials have different tone? And what tone do the different materials? For instance maple, burgandy, Steel, bronze, mahogany, acrylic, bubinga, and if there's any others, please can you explain the tones for me!

Also, what material would suit me? I likea rather warm sounding snare, not to loud, not much high pitch resonance and suitable for jazz, blues, funk, and a lot of different genres! (Rock, metal and punk aren't crucial as I will not be playing them very often)

If you want something kind of warm, maple shells are great. wood is wood, and metal is metal, and you would just have to hear them to really appreciate the difference. Metal is very versatile, and if you want a warm sounding metal, I would look at copper or bronze. compare them to an aluminum also for reference. Search teh past posts for more general info on shell materials. Head selection makes a big difference too.

I perfer wood. Maple is definitely warmer, birch I find is warm, but slightly less resonate. Snare depth also plays a big role.

What would you say was a good size for a warm snare? I apologise for the bombardment of questions, I know very little about snare drums. I will test some out, but itsgood to have an idea of what you're looking for

You sound like you are a similar player to me.

I would recommend a 5x14 maple or aluminium snare for a warm, crisp sound. And with these snare drums, you will be able to tune them down a bit and get a good rock sound. Aluminiums were popular with jazz, funk and rock players in the old days.

Your snare should be OK, but I don't know anything about Mapex. Maybe you just need an upgrade.

To save some cash, you could experiment with different snare wires. Old farts like me like 24-wire snare drums which were used on some classics. And if your snare is quite deep, this could give it a bit more snap.

http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/PSPHome.Page?ActiveID=2391

fi you want really good snare response, crisp and sensitive, look at Pure Sound cocncert 14 strand wire set.

Can someone tell me if different materials have different tone? And what tone do the different materials? For instance maple, burgandy, Steel, bronze, mahogany, acrylic, bubinga, and if there's any others, please can you explain the tones for me!
That would take a lifetime. Try the search function here, as these things have been discussed many times over.

If you were really an old fart you would adore 12 wire snares.

Dennis
Hehehe :)

fi you want really good snare response, crisp and sensitive, look at Pure Sound cocncert 14 strand wire set.
A very good suggestion - nice wires!

I'm thinking I'll put upgrading my snare on hold for a while. Its okay for now. I think I am gonna give it a smaller ply skin and I'm gonna buy some new wires, will save me a lot. Thanks for all the help and reccomendations

Back