Jack DeJohnette

I'm obsessed with Jack DeJohnette. I just love him. Favourite drummer of all time.

I'm going to see him with the Jarrett trio in London. It's like my favourite group in the whole wide woorrrld EEEEEE!!

God lives in the space between the head and Jack de Johnette stick.

No, seriously, he is an AMAZING player, I love the way he approaches to the drumset, the global concept involved in his playing it's just ridiculous.

Besides, I've listened him play a lot of styles, and he is great even at drum and bass!!

I started working a bit on his book, It is interesting seeing him transposed, he looks great on paper as he does sound. His ride groooves are like no other. He one of those cats that probably has a really interesting house with good books. You can almost hear his book collection in his music!
Has anyone else worked through his book?

Yes I tried some stuff from his book, very cool.

He is my favorite drummer I think...

I think the fact that he played piano befor drums is a huge cause for his musical playing...

Jack is an unqualified genius in my book. I love his early playing with Miles, Chick and Lloyd, but his trio work with Jarrett and Peacock is probably my favorite stuff. I was lucky enough to catch him live with Pat Metheny, Ornette, Charlie Haden and Denardo (?!) on the Song X tour at the time. Great show and a chance to see Jack in a really different head space!

Jack, to me, is the least-cliched and most spontaneous jazz drummer ever. It seems like every phrase he plays hatched directly out of the moment, fully-formed and inventive. To be able to compose so musically behind the kit, without just getting into the rut of repeating oneself and resorting to re-arranging "licks," is something I aspire to. I don't think anyone does that better than Jack.

Looks like it's been a while since Jack got any love so allow me. I'm listening to the John Scofield album Time on My Hands at the moment. I've been seeking out everything that Jack plays on lately.

He is a true original. His drum parts just seem to breathe like no one else's. Very inspiring.

Jack D. is one of my all-time favorite drummers, not just in jazz but any style. My favorite recordings of him are with the Gateway Trio (esp. the first two), Terje Rypdal & Miroslav Vitous, and Miles Davis' Black Beauty - Live at the Fillmore West.

Re: Jack DeJohnette

This should ideally be in the Drummers section, Trip.

I have a Keith Jarrett DVD called "Love Ship" with Jack playing with Charles Lloyd and Miles. His playing with the Charles Lloyd Quartet is incredible.

Chick Corea - Is
Chick Corea - Sundance

any of the Miles records he is on

Herbie Hancock - Blow up

Jackie Mclean - Demons Dance

there is a live Bill Evans record that I cant recall the name of at the moment that he is great on

Joe Henderson - Tetragon and Power to the people

any of his work with Freddie Hubbard

and I love his solo album Pictures

Wow, apart from the Miles and Joe Henderson I don't think I've heard any of those records. I guess I need to buy some stuff. Here are mine:

Jack Dejohnette — Special Edition (purple record)
Pat Metheny — 80/81
Gateway — II, Homecoming
Miles Davis — Live Evil
Michael Brecker — Michael Brecker
John Scofield — Time On My Hands
Keith Jarrett — Standards vol. I & II, Standards Live
John Abercrombie — Timeless

Those are all absolutely killing, and I'm probably forgetting something obvious and great. A lot of people love the Dave Holland album Triplicate; it's a little over the top for me.

Thanks for sharing! That drum throne is getting a workout.

Very nice....two surprises though. Playing matched grip and how high on the batter head the bass drum beater is. Thanks for the post

I'll give an Andy-ish reply - I'm so unqualified to judge Jack's drumming it's not funny. Still, it does seem to me that he's retained his skills and energy. Musically, my favourite of his playing is still the Jazz Casual sessions with Charles Lloyd.

Back