Music in Business

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
So its that time in one's life where one has to make the decision of what the heck one's gonna do in the future. And, well, for myself, I've got no clue. But im getting some ideas, but none of them involve music...usually some type of business thing, maybe in sports, or something else. But I mean there's gotta be jobs in the music Business, i just dont know what the heck they are. Maybe i dont want to be a full type professional musician, but I'd be kidding myself if music wasnt some way a part of my daily life. So, what else can you do in the music business?

I would guess the best business of music would be a promoter. Just a guess.

You could look into being a sound/recording engineer. Pretty involved stuff, in my opinion

If you're interested in business and music, several jobs:
Promoter - a group of bands, single band, record promoter;
Business Manager for a band or bands;
Music Business Reporter - all bands want exposure and recognition, especially the ones just starting out and need to create a following. Parlay business savvy and reporting;
Concert promoter;
Video manager/promoter - all bands need vids.

On Craig's List and in these forums I've read a lot about bands getting screwed out of fair wages by unfair club owners, "managers" who take more than their fair percentage, etc. If you could present yourself as an honest and fair manager or promoter who treats clients good, then you'll have bands knocking on your door to manage and promote them. At the end of the day, the music is nice but it's still a business...and buisnesses have to have clients and make money to stay in business.

Take college business classes if you're not already...basic marketing, accounting, finance, advertising, etc. Take a business law class to learn how business law works...how to write contracts, etc.

When you gain the reputation as being fair and honest, and good to work with, you'll have more business than you can handle.

Hope this helps.

Rogue Drummer
MBA '08

A few ideas that are also in the music business
  • Open or work at a drum shop/music store
  • Teach or open a music school
  • Work for or become an instrument manufacturer

Back