"Awesome Video"

Yeah, really nice. I like it when the camera panned to Plant, Page and Jones for their reaction. Plant looked reserved, Page was getting into it and Jones I have never been able to read.

Goosebumps? No. Tears? Yes, towards the end ;-) Lovely cover!
To me P., P. & J. looked like they were enjoying/appreciating it. Can a cover version get any better than that??

I think Ann sounds amazing.... but I hate the way Jason played the song

I also hate the edits to the tune.....takes the flow right out of it

can't say I enjoyed anything about it but Ann Wilsons vocal

Damn, that was a great rendition! It looked like Jones, Plant, and Page were all getting into it. Ann & Nancy Wilson = badass! Definately got some goose bumps from that.

Gonna have to agree... the arrangement felt rushed and it's way too "broadway" to work for a Led Zeppelin tune... not to mention the guitar solo was laughable... and the horns dragged... and Jason LET THEM slow the band down... and the choir didn't know the words... only Ann was on point as she usually is; Heart have always done good Zep covers.

I'm with Nerflad and Gvdadrummasum. Ann was great but the rest of the song lacked any vibe. Jason totally bummed me out too. It was very forgettable for me.

What was bad/wrong about how Jason played the song? I thought it was a fitting tribute. He played it fine. What were you thinking he would change?

Add a choir and strings to a famous song, and all of a sudden it's too "Broadway"??? Guitar-wise it sounded fine, does it not pass muster to you because none of the guitarists was playing a 12-string, like the original?? I don't think it's going on the road anytime soon, but it was the Kennedy Center Honors, to borrow a quote from the VP, it's a "big F**king Deal". I am sure that it would've gone just as well as a five piece, but when you have the chance to "spice it up"...why not take it???

The guitar solo was fine, it was not note-for-note, but if you have spent any amount of time listening to live LZ, you know that note for note solos they can do, but choose not to.

I'm not too thrilled with the edits of the song either; we're so used to the original arrangement that any deviation from it robs the flow of it. In a context such as this, however, you know with certainty that they're gonna cut down your 8 minute masterpiece to 6 and some change. You just have to deal.

I think it was a fitting tribute to a band deserving of it. I've heard the talk about LZ stole this, LZ stole that...I am reminded of the Buddy RIch quote (paraphrased) when I hear this getting bandied about: "You're only a thief if you get caught [musically] stealing".

There's no stopping the goosebumps at 1:48, that is total musical harmony for me. But then this perfect vibe disappears, the little 16th note off beat part at 2:56 feels totally unecessary and around 4:00 it feels like someone is way off time for a second... Well, it's still a pretty amazing performance.

Also, the uploader could have payed a little more attention to the failing audio/video sync and the audio quality. :)

I love the Bonzo hats on the entire choir!

Kind of funny to watch the President and First Lady at these music events. The are always sitting on their hands but you know they are just dying to get jiggy with it,

I am sure they had to keep it under a certain time which changed the flow of the song but other than that nothing short of spectacular.

I am old enough that I was just finishing high school and knew Heart when they were a cover act touring the northwest U.S.

They often did two 45 minute sets of Led Zeppelin, since she could obviously sing the living sh*****!! out of their stuff. Their band played it so well. And they were beautiful!! My girlfriend had them for dinner when I was playing out of state...the little brat.

In that sense, this is even much more then it appears, a true lifetime offering to the gods of rock and roll.

How fabulous it would be for Robert, Jimmy and John Paul to sit there watching this excellent mega production loving tribute ...

all the while knowing that, even with all the extras and state-of-the-art gear, it was no threat to Led Zep in their prime.

Gonna have to agree... the arrangement felt rushed and it's way too "broadway" to work for a Led Zeppelin tune... not to mention the guitar solo was laughable... and the horns dragged... and Jason LET THEM slow the band down... and the choir didn't know the words... only Ann was on point as she usually is; Heart have always done good Zep covers.

It was rushed...and it dragged?

It can't be both.I thought the tempo was just fine considering how many players and singers were on that stage.

I thought Jason held back quite a bit,considering how it was played by his dad.I've seen Zep live more than a few times,and Bonzo never played it like the record...or the previous live verson.

The time also drifted all over the place,as it usually did with Zep.WHO CARES.

I was the drummer in my high school folk/rock club and to get everybody locked into a 100% steady metronomic tempo was at times, like hearding cats.When there are that many people up there,time is going to sit back and speed up,I don't care how good the players are..

Too Broadway.Not for me.I thought the intensity and dynamics were more rock than Broadway.I've listened to that version of Stairway more than a few times now,and that production still brings the goose bumps.

Certainly the best was saved for last.Just my 2 cents.

Steve B

As a 50 year old guy from Seattle, the Wilson sisters still make my Heart pitter patter.

Attachments

• heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 533
Ann is still one of the most powerful and beautuful in rock,and Nancy has a great voice also.

I always thought they were both beautiful women.:)

Steve B

It was rushed...and it dragged?

It can't be both.I thought the tempo was just fine considering how many players and singers were on that stage.

I thought Jason held back quite a bit,considering how it was played by his dad.I've seen Zep live more than a few times,and Bonzo never played it like the record...or the previous live verson.

The time also drifted all over the place,as it usually did with Zep.WHO CARES.

I was the drummer in my high school folk/rock club and to get everybody locked into a 100% steady metronomic tempo was at times, like hearding cats.When there are that many people up there,time is going to sit back and speed up,I don't care how good the players are..

Too Broadway.Not for me.I thought the intensity and dynamics were more rock than Broadway.I've listened to that version of Stairway more than a few times now,and that production still brings the goose bumps.

Certainly the best was saved for last.Just my 2 cents.

Steve B

The arrangement felt rushed, meaning I felt like the energy built too quickly, and the tempo felt dragged. I understand they were pressed for time as is the nature of television, but if I were the MD I would have put it together WAY differently. Get the fluff off the stage and let the Wilsons and Bonzo Jr. shine. And I don't know man... big band drummers did it for decades

Additionally I just consider this further proof that Stairway is just one of the songs you never try to cover... it's never gonna be as good (except Ann, she does Plant better than Plant)

Last edited:
Back