Backing singing

Gorilla glue stick

Hi all,

So I have been paying attention to backing singing a bit more than normal recently and it's making our music sound so much better. We always did a little bit of backing in our band but nothing more than they really obvious stuff in a song (cover band).

Since listening a tad more intently to some of our songs I have been rather shocked to find that there is a great deal more backing singing going on than I thought. Having some "Oooooos" and "Yeahs" in bits of the verse and chorus really makes us sound so much better.

So really my question is this:

Any tips, thoughts, hints or advice? Having never really looked into singing before I don't know much about the subject. No one in the band has a shred of singing talent (well baring the singer) and we know very little about the subject.

Any helpful advice you can give that I can then pass on to the rest of the band? When is it not appropriate to do some backing? Is it OK to add more backing than was in the original? If none of us can sing then how can we make us sound like we can? How can we make the lead singer look just that little bit more better?

Just well anything you think is relevant.

Thanks,

-Eric

Back