I am beginner, should I start with a single or double bass pedal?

When I started playing a few years ago, I really wanted a double pedal. So I got one. It was fun. About six months ago, I took it off the left pedal. I love playing a single now, and can't imagine myself ever going back. I still like to air (or, I guess, floor) drum double pedal parts, but other than that, my double pedal itch has faded. Of course, everyone's different.

I held off on playing double pedal and just worked on left foot hi-hat techniques for many years before even trying double bass. I aspired to play double pedal but I didn't jump in right away. Instead, I studied jazz with my teacher. In jazz and Latin rhythms, the left foot gets quite a workout. My teacher, who was really accomplished on double bass, worked in some double bass exercises eventually. I found that transitioning to double bass was easy because my left foot had developed a lot of strength from the jazz and Latin patterns.

Now, in my musical world, double pedal is a condiment. The main course is a strong single pedal technique and a well-developed left foot on the hi-hat. But if you're into metal and double pedal is a fact-of-life to play the music you like, then you may want to start it earlier. But I do believe that fundamentals are fundamentals and should be achieved first.

Think I'll buck the tide...

I think of drum selection alot like vocabulary.

Learning to talk with restricted word selection is what we usually do...but is it better or worse?

I think the accessibility of "words" gives the ability to experiment and determine when a simpler selection is better...and avoids the explosion of wordiness that happens when a drummer starts to feel their stride with a bit to much arrogance...just at about the time that they add more colors to their range.

Having it dosent mean spending hours running laps on it to the exclusion of working other things....so it really matters what you do with it. A proper sentence is a proper sentence.

Most drummers could benifit from an earlier start in keeping their feet mobile...and getting the tendancy to over use double bass out of their system.

Last edited:
No double pedal till you've been playing for at least a year. Develop a strong right foot and good left foot hihat technique first.

Definitely a single pedal, you'll need your other foot to concentrate on playing your hi hat with.

Dennis

Agreed. I think he'd be better off in the long run getting good solid grooves down first.

I guess it's possible to still do that with a double pedal, if you can ignore the distractions it presents, and play as if it's not there. Or just remove it for a while.

I guess I think differently than most here.

The music you are targeting is certainly double pedal stuff. I don't think you need to develop a strong main foot before you dig into the goofy foot. What is important is that you develop whatever you're gonna play with.
And get a teacher.

I play metalcore, no way to do it without the double pedal. If you want to play metal get the double. Just make sure you LEARN TO PLAY SINGLE AND DOUBLE PEDAL. Don't end up relying on your double pedal for parts that you could pull off with the single. Study some of your favorite band's drummers and get a feel what I am saying.

Back