Wood vs Metal

How 'bout Rhode Island? It is neither a road, nor an island. Let's discuss that instead ;)

Ok. My home state. Truth is its the smallest state but with the longest name. It actually is!

The state of Rhode Island and providence plantations!

Oh.....metal, for sure.

qdrumco.com Not sure if he does bronze, but worth a shot. He hand builds all of his metal snares.

That is a hard question to answer. Both Metal and Wood have their own individual qualities that the other does not have. Probably good to have at least one of each in your arsenal. :)

No bronze shells. :/

When exposed to flames, the wood snare will burn, and the metal one will deform and get very hot.

No bronze shells. :/
Bronze doesn't lend itself to bending, & I'm not sure if it's even available commercially in sheet form. Most metal shells are either spun (commonly, in the case of snare shells) or fashioned from sheet & joined. Bronze is typically cast, & casting thin wall cylinders is extremely difficult/expensive. The only viable method I can think of is using an investment cast process (lost wax), & the tooling for that (especially in larger sizes) is prohibitively costly. Even heavy wall cylinders are difficult to cast using either traditional sand casting or shell moulding.

Drums are simply made out of different materials to give drummers an option on the sound they like and the chance to spend more money on a drum that gets lost in the overall mix when played by most overly loud bands.

Bring back the drum solo.

I have 11 snares and the ones I reach for 90% of the time are metal. The only wood snare I couldn't live without that I currently own is my 13x6" Addiction Drum Co. Oak segmented snare. That thing is killer.

Otherwise, I'd probably be happy selling the rest of my snares and just keeping the Oak snare and my '65 Acrolite.

Bronze doesn't lend itself to bending, & I'm not sure if it's even available commercially in sheet form. Most metal shells are either spun (commonly, in the case of snare shells) or fashioned from sheet & joined. Bronze is typically cast, & casting thin wall cylinders is extremely difficult/expensive. The only viable method I can think of is using an investment cast process (lost wax), & the tooling for that (especially in larger sizes) is prohibitively costly. Even heavy wall cylinders are difficult to cast using either traditional sand casting or shell moulding.

I have a welded bronze shell that I use in my Pearl Free Floater. Though it was made a long time ago by Slingerland...

I wood come up with a better one but I can't think of one

You lugs can use your head and snare a few more puns if you really stick with it. I'm on a roll now.

I have 11 snares and the ones I reach for 90% of the time are metal. The only wood snare I couldn't live without that I currently own is my 13x6" Addiction Drum Co. Oak segmented snare. That thing is killer.

Otherwise, I'd probably be happy selling the rest of my snares and just keeping the Oak snare and my '65 Acrolite.

I have a welded bronze shell that I use in my Pearl Free Floater. Though it was made a long time ago by Slingerland...

Just a point of information,it's not bronze.Slingerland only made brass and steel shells.Some of their lacquered brass ,and stripped COB,have a bronze tint,but that's because the brass alloy they used,had a higher copper content.

My Slingerland Spitfire snare has a lacquered brass shell,that almost looks bronze.

Steve B

Just a point of information,it's not bronze.Slingerland only made brass and steel shells.Some of their lacquered brass ,and stripped COB,have a bronze tint,but that's because the brass alloy they used,had a higher copper content.

My Slingerland Spitfire snare has a lacquered brass shell,that almost looks bronze.

Steve B

It was part of a liquidation of NOS Soundking shells someone sold off several years ago on eBay that a bunch of guys from Drum Forum jumped on. They were listed as "brass" in the ads, but they're definitely not. Copper, maybe, but the general consensus seems to be that they're bronze. More info here:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?... +nos +shell +bronze&fromsearch=1#entry641328

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?...ls/page-7?hl=+slingerland +nos +shell +bronze

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?... +nos +shell +bronze&fromsearch=1#entry717320

Post #10 on the last link says his came in the original box marked as "Slingerland bronze, 8 lugs."

No matter to me - sounds great and I got it for a steal of a price. Mine is completely undrilled and works great in the Free Floater setup! ;)

As far as preference I also had wood snares (birch, maple, poplar) and they all sounded pretty good. Then I tried a brass snare for the first time and my mind was blown. I also like aluminum a lot, I even recorded an album with an Acrolite and it sounded great. I have been curious to try bronze, copper and titanium as well.

That being said, I always have come back to brass. I used an Acrolite for a while, but when it really comes down to it, I like brass for an all over snare. One thing I really do like is the volume and crispness. I see some people on the forum seem to have contempt for "loud" bands or "heavy music" so I'm sure some will not consider volume as much of a factor, but I personally love drums that project and ring out.

As far as preference I also had wood snares (birch, maple, poplar) and they all sounded pretty good. Then I tried a brass snare for the first time and my mind was blown. I also like aluminum a lot, I even recorded an album with an Acrolite and it sounded great. I have been curious to try bronze, copper and titanium as well.

That being said, I always have come back to brass. I used an Acrolite for a while, but when it really comes down to it, I like brass for an all over snare. One thing I really do like is the volume and crispness. I see some people on the forum seem to have contempt for "loud" bands or "heavy music" so I'm sure some will not consider volume as much of a factor, but I personally love drums that project and ring out.

To be honest, I've never played a snare that was significantly louder than another. I've bought several snares where people have described them as being "very loud," but when I get them, they're not louder than anything else I own. The ONLY snare I own that has any significance in volume is my segmented oak snare. THAT thing that project - but my Ludwig Pioneer and Jazz Fest, Keller maple 14x8 and others are all very similar in volume to my Supra, Acros and Freefloating brass when smacked hard *shrug*

Back