Cmmercial travel and drums

Drumlove65

Assuming you packed your drums with casing with which you feel comfortable, has anyone had any experience with traveling while checking packed gear along with everyone's luggage?

Haven't had to do that since ~1990, and don't recommend it. I would get drums on location if at all possible-- flying your drums is a pain, and expensive. Just carry your cymbals in the cabin with you. What's your situation?

This would be a complete relocation from the midwest to the west coast.

I've moved several dozen times in the last 25 years, and every time I entrusted the large components of my drumsets to commercial mover with zero issues. In nearly every case the movers have a claims process if anything does get damaged or stolen. If you have personal property insurance on your instrument, that can also help with peace of mind. This is far more economical than dedicated shipping of drums, or checking them on an airline.

My experience with commercial bus travel has been less than satisfying personally I doubt I would while sober voluntarily subject precious cargo to the vagaries of bus travel.

My experience with commercial bus travel has been less than satisfying personally I doubt I would while sober voluntarily subject precious cargo to the vagaries of bus travel.

Never had problems with bus parcel services, then again never more than 3 hours non-stop so no shift changes, no opening-closing cargo hold to retrieve or add cargo.

Pack wisely.

Can you not pack them with all your other belongings that are getting moved? Or are you moving light? IE not moving large objects?

If that's the case (travelling light) then rent a van and drive them out. Make it a road trip!

I would not trust my drums to the airline if I didn't have too.

I think I'd find an address, nest the shells, pack them up really well, and find an address to ship them to. Get lots of insurance.

Depends on the value of the kit. I presume its an expensive top of the range with cymbals of the same value? If so, have them insured, If not, sell on and buy again at the other end. Its a financial choice.

Back