New to Drumset, But Not Percussion; Hints?

WhichJoeSmith

Hello, all!

First off, I tried searching for a similar thread but didn't find quite the answers I was looking for (although some great stories and threads never hurt).

Some background info, before I ask my question.

I'm a freshman in college studying percussion performance and music education, who's played various marching percussion at competitive levels, and had recitals for classical percussion such as snare and mallets. I'm a prospective marimba player at a Drum & Bugle Corps. in a neighboring state, and I also sang classical repertoire at a state-wide level and can play guitar and similar stringed instruments. Not to mention, I can read rhythms and pitch at modestly a very decent level, and I am very proud of my efforts to do so.

Now for the kicker, I've never really learned drum set! I mean, I've played it for a concert band song or two, but even then I was finding it difficult to keep all elements in line. Granted, it was a spanish/latin type of tune so the rhythms themselves were not something to just zone out about, but my foot just could not get that bass drum in there. It seems funny to me, because a lot of kids I know started on set, and THEN went to marching percussion, or wanted to do it for a living, or what not. For me its the opposite!

What I'm really curious about and would love to hear from this community about, are hints or ideas of how I should/ can approach drum set. I already have various techniques down, but am aware that not all of those can be applied to the set. In the least, I know how to hold the stick, and evoke a strong and proper sound from the drum (or bar) and have a strong rudimental base.

As mentioned, I have (for drum set) "okay" coordination, but obviously need worlds of practice. Luckily, I now own a drum set in my house, and purchased mutes to maximize practice opportunities.

Thanks for checking out this thread and I appreciate any feedback :) I know it is definitely a little long but I wanted to describe my situation as best as possible. Again, thanks!

Get Virgil Donati's book, that will introduce you to playing with your feet.

There are many drum methods out there, but not every one will give you what you need. Drumset opportunities in college include big band, combos, and show drumming (musicals).

For big band, I would check out Steve Fidyk's Big Band Drumming At First Sight.

For small combo jazz, check out John Riley's The Art of Bop Drumming and The Master Drummer

For coordination, check out Steve Fidyk's Jazz Drum Set Independence.

For more chart reading and show drumming, check out Steve Houghton's Ultimate Drumset Reading Anthology

Jeff

It depends exactly what you are looking for in playing drumset, and pursuing that. However it seems like your stick technique and rudiments are fully developed so what you need is grooves, coordination and practical experience playing drumset within genres. Find a good beginner book for drums, personally I used and recommend Realistic Rock, by Carmine Appice for rock/funk and Jim Chaplin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer for jazz. Also a good teacher is worth 1000 books and probably 1000 bucks as well. Other than that listen to drummers play and try to copy them.

My advice... Don't sweat it! Jump on a kit and give it a test drive. You'll find out really fast what it is you can and cannot do.

For the stuff you can't do, practice, practice, practice.

For the stuff you can do, ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!!!!

Cheers.

Sorry - I hadn't read the prior posts in full but as they give advice ( and good advice at that ) there are actually no "secrets" to the drums. Just practice and technique as all other instruments have. There is no quick claim to fame or fortune, just practice as with all other instruments.

But forgive me if I sound negative, the trap set will definitely help you as an overall musician. Just keep motivated and practicing even when you don't feel it. That's how all of us got to where we are!

Jeff's suggestions are spot on. I'd also highly recommend Tommy Igoe's "Great hands for a lifetime" DVD as well as his Groove Essentials 1 book and disc. As with all things technical and musical, find a competent teacher who can guide you through the process.

I know from my own personal experience, there was a huge difference in the attitude/approach and techniques needed to play the drum set coming from a classical percussion backround.
Best of luck in your education and welcome to the forum!

Back