The Black Panther thread! For all BP snare fans and owners....

ok, what's the SOUND difference between the 5mm Traditional Maple 5.5x14 and the 6mm Birdseye Maple 5.5x14....

Is anyone familiar with the BP snare that is included when you purchase a Mapex Pro M series kit?

How does it size up to the rest of the Black Panther line? I couldn't imagine it being on the same level as the other snare at that price.

Re: THE Black Panther thread! for all BP snare fans and owners....

Drumlover39 said:
Heres my steel hammered bp

Hey Dude, Congrats on a beautiful snare. I am going to play the hammered steel and the hammered brass i can't wait. Has anyone played both of these snares and if so what are the main comparisons.

Here's my 14X5.5 smooth brass shell with "bling bling" gold hardware... I've had it for about 3 yrs now & I haven't seen one like it in any shops any more. Do Mapex call it a "premium brass" snare now???

034.jpg

Sound file to follow...

IMO this is the best value for money snare I've ever used...

graham2493 said:
Here's my 14X5.5 smooth brass shell with "bling bling" gold hardware... I've had it for about 3 yrs now & I haven't seen one like it in any shops any more. Do Mapex call it a "premium brass" snare now???

[/IMG]

Sound file to follow...

IMO this is the best value for money snare I've ever used...

How about more info on that nice looking Yammie kit?

Synthetik said:
How about more info on that nice looking Yammie kit?

Aah, it's nothing flash! Just a Yamaha Stage Custom. Matt natural wood finish. Bought the kit on the strength of the 22"X18" bass drum sound. Sounds absolutely awesome with an EMAD2 Batter side. The front head (just visible on the photo) is an old Superkick2 off the batter side (hated it!) that I totally cut away leaving only the 2 inches or so of skin and felt (something for the front hoop to clamp onto). Punchy as HELL!!!

Anyway, back to the thread... Here's some more pics of the snare (and kit) from the back...

DSC01002.jpg

05042006004-001.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic quality!

Re: 14"X5.5" Smooth brass shell

Here's a short video of a gig we did recently with an AC/DC tribute (Powerage!!!)

Their drummer used my kit for the night and this video is taken with my camera phone from the wings. The sound of the snare is very close to what I was hearing in the wings with maybe a hint of what was being heard out front... Let me know what you think!

graham2493

EDIT:

Here's a better close up of the drum taken tonight...

09102006137.jpg

Last edited:
Have all good things to say about my Natural maple 12x6.5 I have a remo cs on top and I have got the snare sound that I have always wanted crisp and fat, KILLER!!!!

I officially became a black panther owner recently and i could not be happier with my new hand hammered bronze 14 by 5.5. I put a Remo Powerstroke 4 on the batter side and having that focused sound is awesome. I'll have pictures up as soon as i fugure how to do it.

My friend has one of these and it looked as if the birdseye maple version has no snare bed at all. Is this true?

Well, I think I've decided what my new snare is going to be. 14x6.5 Maple... possibly Deep Forest Walnut.

Could anyone tell me the fundamental difference between Maple and Walnut would be?

Paul_Klein said:
Well, I think I've decided what my new snare is going to be. 14x6.5 Maple... possibly Deep Forest Walnut.

Could anyone tell me the fundamental difference between Maple and Walnut would be?
i think that the Walnut is just the outer plie... my be i have a mistake on that one.... but i think it's just for making the snare looks beautiful, or its made by 100% Walnut , i never played a Walnut snare , so i don't realy know the difference between them...
take care .

I really love the Black Panther Babylonian that Mapex released a year or so ago. I saw a couple in the UK but I have never seen one in the US. I am still searching so if anyone has a line on one, new or used, I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

I really love the Black Panther Babylonian that Mapex released a year or so ago. I saw a couple in the UK but I have never seen one in the US. I am still searching so if anyone has a line on one, new or used, I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

yeah, I have one of those, as my wallpaper :) cause its just beautifull ! :) I would also be happy if someone would post a link or address to some store where they have that snare! :)

Back