Yamaha oak custom vs Pearl Session Studio Classic

Hey guys.

I know I have posted these "vs" threads a lot, but am doing another one for a reason.
So i was browsing around guitar center, and saw 2 kits that marked my attention and both were at a very good price, a 5 piece yamaha oak custom and a new 5 piece pearl session studio classic. Both are at a pretty good price but i'm having a little dilemma on which one to get.

The yamaha oak custom is 10/12/16/22 and at a very low price from what they originally were, but they are being discontinued soon, so getting add on toms would be a harder task and would take longer to find.

the Pearl is a tiny bit more expensive but comes with a free 14'' floor tom, making it a 10/12/14/16/22. add on toms are readily available.

So my question is, which one would you get? both are at an almost qual price, but which one would be a better value?

Thanks again guys. Cheers :)

I have not played that specific Pearl series but I will give you my opinion on the Oak kit. I have gigged with my Oak Custom for the last 4 years (rock cover band) and hear comments from both musicians and non-musicians about how good my drums sound. Great tone, great projection. Killer bass drum. That being said, I have owned 3 Pearl kits (I used to work for Pearl) and they were all quality, good sounding kits. My personal preference for live gigs is the Oaks however. Hope this helps.

You have asked several times about one set or the other. Interest is good, but how serious is it? In my opinion you should look at what your budget is, what your needs are, and what will work best for your style. You are asking about nice drums but are you for sure buying soon or just dreaming? The oak custom is a little higher priced set. I would look for that used over a new set like the session studio. I would definitely go with the oaks. They are nice drums and finding them under $1200 would be a good deal.

You have asked several times about one set or the other. Interest is good, but how serious is it? In my opinion you should look at what your budget is, what your needs are, and what will work best for your style. You are asking about nice drums but are you for sure buying soon or just dreaming? The oak custom is a little higher priced set. I would look for that used over a new set like the session studio. I would definitely go with the oaks. They are nice drums and finding them under $1200 would be a good deal.

all the other times I have asked is because i am usually careful about investing so wanted ideas and opinions to see in what direction i was going, the oak customs that i saw were at almost have the price of what they were before and pearls are around that price. That's why I ask. Cheers.

I say go with the Oaks and order an add on tom. I just ordered an 8in add on for my Oaks and it was here in a little over a month.

I spent a little time on a kit of Oaks and came away impressed,loud, projecting,lots of tone and very responsive,and I have not heard another kit that sounds like them.I don't know about the pearl sessions,but I imagine the sound difference would help you to base a decision on.

Resale value on the Yamahas would be much better I would think.

all the other times I have asked is because i am usually careful about investing so wanted ideas and opinions to see in what direction i was going, the oak customs that i saw were at almost have the price of what they were before and pearls are around that price. That's why I ask. Cheers.

Ok, well, just be careful about every other post being a new thread. I would definitely say oaks would be a better deal.

I have recorded with a pearl session and thought it was a nice kit but I like the Yamaha look and hardware more. The lacquer finishes are one of the nicest out there IMO and positioning toms on a Yamaha kit is such a breeze. If you go with the Yamaha and want extra toms you've got until the end of the month to order them.

Back