Where to place 3 microphones?

Nolan4st

I have a four channel mixer and room for 3 microphones. I have a four-piece kit (snare tom floor bass) with hihat, two crashes and a ride. I was wondering what the best combo and placement would be. I'm guessing one of the channels should be for the bass drum but I'm not sure about the other two. Two overheads? A snare and an overhead?

I got the mixer I'm talking about for my birthday (yay!) and I want to use it to start recording/practicing. I would like to talk about specific microphones, but I can find that somewhere else on the forum. I figured I should figure out placement the combo first.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, nono

3 Mikes:

For pop and rock: Kick, Snare top, Overhead.
For jazz, kick and 2 overheads in stereo.

Pick ONE. And put it on a stand about as high as your head and put it on either side of you slightly behind you. The mic will pick up what you hear. If the kit sounds great to you, then you're done ;)

For 3 microphones, do a search for "Recorderman Technique" I am mostly recording my 4 piece kit that way (Jazz/Big Band, but also Rock).

A personal microphone recommendation for this technique and general use for drums is the Beyerdynamic M201, it can be used as overhead, but also as Snare or HiHat mic. A pair of these plus a BD mic and IMHO you have perfect equipment to start with.

Kind regards.

Pick ONE. And put it on a stand about as high as your head and put it on either side of you slightly behind you. The mic will pick up what you hear. If the kit sounds great to you, then you're done ;)

Yes, yes, yes!

20 characters

Back