Drum Exersise for the older drummer..

Hey guys over 45, or what ever. I know your playing better then ever. But I would bet most of us are in a band, were we are not hitting it, like the old days.. AND THATS FINE BY ME///////

We mostly think to much now about every note in a lower volume situation. It can drive you nuts...

The solution..

twice a week have a freak out.. Play as fast and loud as you can for as long as you can. Dont worry about any mistakes. Just play. Its not about notes its endurance.. Work up a hell of a sweat Keep pounding.. And I mean pound them like you were 19..
Its therapy. You will feel a high,, just dont have a heart attack.. Your blood pressure will drop and you will feel relaxed. Its a great work out for body and mind...

Every time that I play that is what eventually happens!
It all starts out as a controlled thing.
I don't mean for it to get that way!

Sounds like a good way to injure ones hands to this 62 year old.

I call that the second and third set! lol

No, my current band asks that I hit harder than ever. It takes a lot out of an old fart (OK, 46!) but it also seems very therapeutic.

The biggest problem about getting older isn't that you can't hit hard.
Its that you have purchased much more expensive gear and you don't want to break it.
You have to face the fact that you may not live long enough to find that $400 cymbal on eBay for $150 again!

I dont want any one hurt. Kind of sad I posted that. But I am lucky to be in fairly good shape,, please use your own judgement..

My biggest fear in life is..
When I die.
My wife will sell my drum gear..
For what I told her I paid for it..

I dont want any one hurt. Kind of sad I posted that. But I am lucky to be in fairly good shape,, please use your own judgement..

When I die.
Ha! That is awesome...we are all the same aren't we?

I call that the second and third set! lol

No, my current band asks that I hit harder than ever. It takes a lot out of an old fart (OK, 46!) but it also seems very therapeutic.

Me too! I'm 48 and my band plays hard rock we start the with shine down,killers, puddle of mud, Foo fighters and by end of night the last set consists of Metallica,priest,sabbath,3days grace,Godsmack...... I work up quite a sweat, drink gallons of water...Drumming is my fountian of youth...I feel like I'm in my 20's again until the end of the night and its time to lug subwoofers back to the practice place.

When I die.

KOOL its not just me doing that...for some reason I feel better now

I feel like I'm in my 20's again until the end of the night and its time to lug subwoofers back to the practice place.

tell me about it! i can drum all night but hauling around the gear is a serious workout! the bass player and i usually set up the PA, which weighs a metric ton. he's several years younger than me but i do most of the heavy lifting because he says his back hurts. sheesh! the place we usually play has a 100 yard hallway we have to drag our stuff through. by the end of the evening, i'm wiped out from hauling hundreds of pounds of stuff up and down that hallway!

tell me about it! i can drum all night but hauling around the gear is a serious workout! the bass player and i usually set up the PA, which weighs a metric ton. he's several years younger than me but i do most of the heavy lifting because he says his back hurts. sheesh! the place we usually play has a 100 yard hallway we have to drag our stuff through. by the end of the evening, i'm wiped out from hauling hundreds of pounds of stuff up and down that hallway!

Haha, same with our band! The bass player and I are the road crew, essentially. Sometimes I even sing that Motorhead song "We are the Road Crew" while we're setting up... he hates it when I do that! lol

Haha, same with our band! The bass player and I are the road crew, essentially. Sometimes I even sing that Motorhead song "We are the Road Crew" while we're setting up... he hates it when I do that! lol

that's great! i need to do that to our bass player too! hauling gear doesn't bother me that much, but i know he doesn't like it.

I have always said," we are playing for free. You are paying us to haul all the crap! TWICE!"

Last edited:
Back