My Tama kits

k7mto

I haven't been around for awhile, but thought I'd post my Tama kits.

My '88 Swingstars (one kick not pictured)

Tama_Swingstar_1.jpg

Tama_Swingstar_pool002.jpg

My '00 Performers...

cyclefest039.jpg

cyclefest042.jpg

My '08 Performer B/B's...

tama_bb1.jpg

This was a display kit at Winter NAMM '08

tama_bb_namm_08_01.jpg

(back row, far left)

tama_bb_namm_08_02.jpg

Setup with some of my cymbals...

scp_bb005.jpg

scp_bb023.jpg

scp_bb029.jpg

scp_bb032.jpg

scp_bb037.jpg

How do you find those Aquarian cymbal springs? My drum teacher said after he decked out his cymbal stands with them he hasn't broken a cymbal.

How do you find those Aquarian cymbal springs? My drum teacher said after he decked out his cymbal stands with them he hasn't broken a cymbal.

Thanks, guys. I've been playing Tama since the mid 80's. I'm the original owner of the Swingstar and SCP B/B kits. I bought the '00 SCP birch kit used.

I've been using the Aquarian springs for decades. I've never broken a cymbal either and I play pretty hard. The original version allowed the nut to tighten fully pinch the cymbal but now when fully tightened there is a 1/8" or so gap giving the cymbal room to move freely which helps a lot.

Wow man. That finish looks way better than I imagined. Reminds me of this Ayotte kit French vanilla, with white inlay wood hoops. White and chrome ftw! reminds me of my caddy! I have the same set up as yours but I dont have my 16" floor tom yet. You can guess how long I be waiting haha.

The pics don't really show how nice the sparkle is. You can see it a bit on the rack toms in some shots. I should've taken pics when the sun was directly overhead or to the west. Maybe I'll set them up outside again... :)

I can't wait to see them under stage lighting.

I really dig the poolside pictures. Wish I had a collection like that!

Great photos man!... nice kits too. You can't go wrong with Tama. The starclassics are beautiful looking and sounding kits.

How do you like them tuned by the way? I have the stock head on mine too.
I had them tuned medium-tight until this weekend. It was slightly higher pitch than normal but the resonance wasn't too good. I have them now at medium-low about average tension to get the most resonance out of it and the tone sounds way better. Not loose or tight enough to choke.. but I'm thinking its because these heads are one dimensional. Would switching to Evans G2 allow me to get more tones out of tuning them?

How do you like them tuned by the way? I have the stock head on mine too.
I had them tuned medium-tight until this weekend. It was slightly higher pitch than normal but the resonance wasn't too good. I have them now at medium-low about average tension to get the most resonance out of it and the tone sounds way better. Not loose or tight enough to choke.. but I'm thinking its because these heads are one dimensional. Would switching to Evans G2 allow me to get more tones out of tuning them?

I like my heads tuned low as I play mostly rock.

As for switching, I'm not really sure. The stock heads ARE Evans G2's - they just have the Tama logo stamped on them.

I've been reading threads on multiple forums (including Tama's Backbeat) to see what folks recommend for the SCP B/B drums, but like anything, opinions vary, so I suppose it'll boil down to trial and error and see what sounds best for me.

I've currently got the stock Tama/Evans G2 clear heads tuned pretty low to try and reduce the ring, but I might tune them up a bit and use some gels to see how they sound. I've read that coated heads will help so I may go with G2 coated or G-Plus coated. I can always fall back on the EC1 or EC2 (with the built in dampener) but I think that may diminish the quality of the bubinga inner shell. By the time I'm done, I'll probably have 3 or 4 sets of heads I can interchange as desired :)

Great kits. I know i have seen the first kit somewhere else.

Some REALLY tasty looking kits there mate. Thanks also for stopping by and having a look at my old Tama kit that I brought back from the dead !! Appreciate the compliment :)

Have a good one !!

Back