Playing barefoot bad for you.

Siddh

My friend was telling me about this article he read in a drum magazine about how overtime, playing barefoot can cause serious damage to your feet.

I've been playing barefoot for about a year and a half. Should I be concerned? Should I start wearing shoes? Or is that article a bunch of lies?

Unless you, yourself read the article, and it cited many professional medical opinions you should just consider it hearsay.

Well, this doesn't seem like one of those, "Oh well my friend said..."

He even asked me if I wanted to check the article out.

No.... I don't believe stuff like that for a second. You'd have to have horrible technique to really hurt yourself. Even then, if you are playing poorly enough to hurt yourself, then it doesn't matter what you have on your feet...

This is like the glove debate in a way. Use em' if you think they actually help, but don't tell me for a second that I should or shouldn't.

Shoes or gloves might help you from developing callouses depending on the style of music you are playing, or your technique, but if you know yourself and your body, you should develop your playing to keep from hurting yourself.

Dude ive been drumming for close to ten years, most of the time barefoot (recently not so much) and i have had no trouble.

I've been playing either with just socks or barefooted for over 30 yrs. never had a problem.
as a matter a fact played a outside gig yesterday barefooted still no problems.

the only problem is stubbing your toe on a cymbal or hi-hat stand trying to get behind your kit LOL

Bonzolead

Until you see statistical evidence and peer-reviewed research then I would not be concerned. Just 'some article' doesn't mean anything, it could be any yokel spouting off about something he really doesn't know crap about.

Until you see statistical evidence and peer-reviewed research then I would not be concerned. Just 'some article' doesn't mean anything, it could be any yokel spouting off about something he really doesn't know crap about.

...much like the people on all of those OTHER drum forums floating around the internet. DW rules! Whoo!

I've been playing either with just socks or barefooted for over 30 yrs. never had a problem.

the only problem is stubbing your toe on a cymbal or hi-hat stand trying to get behind your kit LOL

Bonzolead

And cracking a toe nail on the side post of the pedal (happened to me once).

I never play barefoot. Hate it.
I've never had foot problems.

Therefore, not playing barefoot will lead to you not having foot problems, so playing barefoot must hurt your feet.

:-D

Bonzolead

I second that, I've been doing it 24 years. NO probs yet, although I did stub my toe and fall down stairs once.

I never play barefoot. Hate it.
I've never had foot problems.

Therefore, not playing barefoot will lead to you not having foot problems, so playing barefoot must hurt your feet.

:-D
If you stub you toe or crack a toe nail LOL hey i'll play my drums with 6-inch platforms if I want I just prefer no shoes LOL.I'm not saying it's right or wrong everybody has their own preferences I just never had any problems.

Bonzolead

Cripes. One more thing to have to worry about. I had to immediately place it #4 on my list of things to remember not to do every day.

...sitting too close to the TV causes blindness.
...crossing your eyes too much will eventually make them stay that way.
...talking on your cell phone too much causes cancer.
...drumming barefoot causes serious damage to your feet.
...not buckling your seat belt makes it easier for the aliens to suck you out of the car.

Thanks for scaring me back into having to wear shoes behind my kit.

Actually what you heard is not BS, on the contrary of what many seem to think here. Go ask a podiatrist - you can (notice I did not use the verb "will") develop arch problems because there is nothing supporting the arch of the foot when playing barefooted. Some people who play hard even get bruises on the ball of their feet.

Just like one should use good technique with his hands in order to not hurt himself, the same goes for playing barefooted.

Back