Have to choose between three kits

DreamTool

Hello everyone, I'm Alexis, 26 years old from Quebec, Canada.

I am looking for a drum kit and have checked the local stores where I live. Three kits kept my attention and I would like to know your opinion on what would be the best deal :

Gretsch Catalina Club Rock for 750$ (4 piece set)
Pearl Vision Birch for 920$ (5 piece set)
Yamaha Stage Custom for 1080$ (5 piece set)

All prices include taxes and are for a brand new drum (cymbals and stands not included).

I will be playing in a band (no recording or live shows), and the music style we play is metal / hard rock.

Hope you can help me!
Alexis

I can speak for the Pearl Vision Birch. It's a great kit that has a very solid hardware line up that they released with it which is the 900 series. The drums are punchy and will respond to medium and low tuning better than higher tuning. If it has a printed wrap on the drums I wouldn't touch them. I'm unimpressed with the quality of the printing on the newest vision kits, the DPI is so low I can see the spaces between the ink dots. Over all they're a good drum for metal, or at least they were up to the task when I was using my vision kit.

Ddrum dude!
My budget was less than your so I got the Journeyman 5pc 1up 2down for like $475 shipped new.It was that,a PDP and Mapex Mars.
Liked the virgin kick and rack tom + it came w/ some hardware new.
Sounds and works good for Metal!

I have Stage Customs, so I'm kind of biased towards them. But any of the kits you've listed would do.
Maybe after you decide which one you'd like best, you could look for a used kit that's in good shape and save yourself some money that way.

Do you already have hardware and cymbals?

Again, my mantra: you're gonna want pro-level cymbals. I would invest in those and go cheap on the drums. Put new heads on any kit and it'll sound fine. You cannot improve bad cymbals.

Start right.

Go with the Yamaha. I played symphonic metal with them - that was a wall of sound from guitars,synths, symphonic tracks and an opera singer, and the stage customs cut through all of that with clarity, defined lows/highs and serious attack. Heads of choice were remo emps on batter while keepingthe stock Yamaha resos. You wont be disappointed and you will definitely be heard.

Hello everyone, I'm Alexis, 26 years old from Quebec, Canada.

I am looking for a drum kit and have checked the local stores where I live. Three kits kept my attention and I would like to know your opinion on what would be the best deal :

Gretsch Catalina Club Rock for 750$ (4 piece set)
Pearl Vision Birch for 920$ (5 piece set)
Yamaha Stage Custom for 1080$ (5 piece set)

All prices include taxes and are for a brand new drum (cymbals and stands not included).

I will be playing in a band (no recording or live shows), and the music style we play is metal / hard rock.

Hope you can help me!
Alexis

God thats a lot of money for those kits.

Hi everyone and thank you very much for all the answers.

I followed your advices and decided to go with a used Yamaha Stage Custom. I found one on the internet for 600$, it is a bit old but it is a 7 piece set, with 2 floor toms and 3 toms. Plus I like the idea to buy a kit that has a history, it has done many live shows so it is not perfect but it makes it kind of special.

Thanks again!

Some people like the older Stage Customs better. What sizes are they?
I've got some used stuff I've been real happy with.
Post a picture or two if you get a chance. And enjoy your new drums.

Back