Ear Protection

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Well I was wondering what some of the drumming community uses to protect their ears, as these are our greatest tools.

I currently use Vic Firth Isolation headphones, and occassionally put some ear plugs underneath, for greater isolation, though I would like to achieve the same amount, with one piece. I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now, but this is working fine.

How about you guys?

-Danny

i gotta get a pair of those vic firth headphones....my ears start feeling weird and start ringing after im done playing.

i gotta get a pair of those vic firth headphones....my ears start feeling weird and start ringing after im done playing.

I say it's more than overdue. You should just use something, even if it's a regular pair of headphones, until you get some real protection.

I use some musician earplugs I got from a music shop, they have two different pairs of filters and work very well. I never, never play without them. It actually physically hurts me to play unprotected, even if it's just for a short while, now that I'm accustomed to the attenuation.

I say it's more than overdue. You should just use something, even if it's a regular pair of headphones, until you get some real protection.

I use some musician earplugs I got from a music shop, they have two different pairs of filters and work very well. I never, never play without them. It actually physically hurts me to play unprotected, even if it's just for a short while, now that I'm accustomed to the attenuation.

i use regular headphones that help but when i didnt then it hurt and rung

Vic Firth Isolation Headphone 22db.

Shure E3 Isolation earbuds with a set of Vic Firth Isolation Headphones over them.

It's an expensive set up, but after having a bad scare with hearing loss (and now having permanent tinnitus), I realized that your hearing is worth the price.

I have some Vater ear plugs that I got for $19.99 at Guitar Center. They have two different filters depending on how much noise reduction you need and they came with a case too. They work well and the price isn't too bad either.

Shure SE210s with custom molds or the black Vic Firth headphones (the normal ones not the crappy ones with speakers). The black ones have a higher isolation than the old blue ones.

Are you telling me that I'm one of the few who just throws on a pair of gun mufflers? I have the ear plugs too, but the muffs are a bit more comfortable and more durable. I save the 'plugs for gigs.

20 bucks for ear plugs?? Nuts. The ones I use have NRR of 29 decibels and they're $5 for a pack of 12.

FYI you can get the Vater plugs online for $15.39 at SamAsh.com

i'm with T.Underhill

I just go to the pharmacy and grab some earplugs, but not for $20.

I have been playing guitar for 13 years with two full stacks and now big drums, I still can't see a reason for spending so much money on them. Cheapie ones have worked for me this far!

i could be completely wrong : )

I just use some regular $15AU Ear Muffs, it surprising what a difference the ear muffs make, you can hear everything you do so clearly.

Standard silicon-type earplugs, or Etymotic in-ear headphones for when I need to listen to music or a click as well.

when I'm practicing in my basement, I wear these big red plastic earmuff things that people use for target shooting with firearms.

it really helps me out, because then when I play along with my MP3 player, I can slip earbud headphones under the earmuffs and it isolates the sound of my drums so I can hear the music and don't have to turn it up so loud.

but at gigs, I don't usually wear hearing protection. I probably should wear earplugs, but I have trouble hearing the rest of the band if I do, especially if I don't have a monitor.

I've been using Direct Sound Extreme Isolation for about a year now.

www.extremeheadphones.com/

They're great to practice with, plug into your click or ipod and jam away. They cut around 30dB outside noise too, so I can have my ipod at a pretty low level and it's still louder than the drums.

For gigs I just use normal foam ear plugs, around $2 a packet.

Back