DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: How generous are you when supplying a kit?

I wouldn't bring anything extra just in case they might need or want to use it, if they need more than two toms to pull off their set then they need to bring their own kit! In a shared kit situation you just have to make whatever is available work, if they need an extra tom then they need to bring one or if they need more than 2 cymbal stands then they need to bring them, it's definitely not on you to provide anything more than what you already bring to a gig just in case!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

In my opinion, if you are supplying drums for several acts to use, you should be getting compensated a bit of money for supplying them. I also think though that if you are supplying drums for a bunch of acts, you should at least be providing basic functional decent drums. Not some piece of crap you bought at a yard sale. At lots of these type things, bands are trying to get a gig, or get some video and pics for promo material, and a ratted out kit hurts the purpose.

This depends a bit on the nature of the show as well of course. There is zero % chance I'd supply my kit for a bunch of punk bands. But some classic rockers or country bands, sure no prob. they can bring their breakables and it's all good.

I'd also love to know where you can buy $10 drum heads, here in Canada they start around $22 each. So yeah I'm pissed if someone dents a head. I haven't dented a head in 20 years, and I'm probably a medium hitter.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
here in Canada they start around $22 each.
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/...rom=CAD&To=USD
Old 07-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Cost per head will range as the size goes up, but a 10 inch around here is about 10 bucks. Follows similar as you go up.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evans-g1-clear-batter-drumhead/440264000000110?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cjw KCAjw1ufKBRBYEiwAPI_r4YsKAvh14xMAD1knV0XdmIClm6s-scI3iarNV8ZEdoekm9GKKEvALBoC7YEQAvD_BwE&kwid=produ ctads-adid^156727059247-device^c-plaid^199129109802-sku^440264000000110@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I can't speak to the weird canada money thing.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I am so generous, it ain't funny.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
Well boys and girls, did the gig yesterday and in the end there was only one other band. Before their drummer arrives, I overhear other members of the band moaning that there's only one rack tom and that it won't suit him. When he does eventually show up, I see that he's brought nothing other than a cymbal bag, but despite this, the first thing he asks me is if he can use mine "to save the hassle when changing over". The kit is set up how I set it up (complete with my new snare) and he says, "for me that's fine how it is". I tell him that for me, drummers don't usually share cymbals, but he insists, so I give in and tell him to be careful. He then says, "don't worry, I've been doing this for 20 years, they'll be fine". I had my old snare with me and said that he would use that seeing as he hadn't brought his own. Then, if things weren't bad enough already, he asks me if I have a pair of sticks he can use.

So this drummer has been "playing for 20 years" and would seem that he doesn't own a kit (his band were headlining but couldn't supply a kit) and comes to a gig without sticks. Beyond belief.
This need to be in a movie, only in the movie version, he would absolutely thrash your kit.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
I'm not obsessive at all, but the fact is that most drummers are Neanderthals. Case in point, check out any set of drums in any rehearsal hall.
This says it all. I'd care less if the typical drummer I encounter out there wasn't such a raging basher. Cymbals crack.

I'm also amazed at the other drummer not bringing sticks. A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have cared to just give some of my stock sticks away. These days, I'm using custom cut sticks - Rich Sticks. I'd actually have a hard time handing a pair of custom Rick Sticks over to an imbecile who showed up at a gig without sticks. I think I'd be telling him he better run home or to a music store fast.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just glad that I never had to share a gig with any of you tight wads.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm real generous. Do unto others and all. I do draw the line at sticks. If I am asked to lend sticks, that's when I usually launch a tiny attack, designed to embarrass the human into never doing that again. And NOT giving away my sticks.

Sticks? Really?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I was never a tightwad until I had a bad experience with a multi-band gig that cost me $250 because I shared---but if you read the rest of the thread you already know that!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

It is pretty pathetic to not even bring sticks. I've done it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Even if I forget my sticks, I always have spares in my car. I keep them in my wife's car too. Just in case.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
But would you turn up at a venue, if you didn't know the guy providing the shared kit, and assume its fine to bring nothing? Or would you automatically take your own cymbals, snare, pedal and stickbag?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
But would you turn up at a venue, if you didn't know the guy providing the shared kit, and assume its fine to bring nothing? Or would you automatically take your own cymbals, snare, pedal and stickbag?
Good question.

My advice is, ALWAYS talk to the other drummer prior to the gig. This goes for both; if you are providing the kit or if they are providing the kit.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

I just always bring the same if I'm using someone else's kit:

-Stick bag
-cymbal bag
-throne
-kick pedal
-snare

Everything else is nbd.

Once or twice I haven't been able to setup my second crash, and wished I'd packed another cymbal stand, but that's really not tough to play around. I usually try not to setup my own snare and just keep it as backup or in case the one I'm supposed to use is the wrong or bad sound.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
Yeah, if I didn't know the guy, I would bring all that stuff, but there have been times I show up to gigs where I do know the drummer and I've brought nothing knowing that I'll be playing his stuff. Usually I'll bring sticks at least. I'm just one of those drummers that can adapt to any set-up for the most part. But yeah, I should always bring sticks at the least.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Sticks, cymbals, pedal, and snare, minimum. Pedal mainly for my own comfort.

I'm fine using whatever the other drummer wants to let me use, to minimize set-up time between bands (providing it suits my needs, of course). But I NEVER go into a shared kit gig expecting any favors from anybody. Showing up and just expecting (with no prior discussion) to use someone else's cymbals/sticks/snare is just amateur, and quite frankly, pretty rude.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

I have a "Skip Kit" (Pearl Export ELX) that I will provide when needs be. I will only supply the shells, That's it. Everything else including stands are up to the other drummers. No exceptions.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
I have a "Skip Kit" (Pearl Export ELX) that I will provide when needs be. I will only supply the shells, That's it. Everything else including stands are up to the other drummers. No exceptions.
I hope the toms are mounted on the bass drum. Otherwise, having to switch tom stands for each drummer seems like a bit much
Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
I hope the toms are mounted on the bass drum. Otherwise, having to switch tom stands for each drummer seems like a bit much
Single mounted tom & 2 floors :)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:59 AM
"Uncle Larry"

If I'm using someone else's kit, if there's just a little bit of storage room near the drums, IMO it's faster and way nicer for me to have my snare on my already adjusted stand, my hi hat stand all cymbaled up and height adjusted, my pedal, throne, and maybe even 2 already adjusted loaded cymbal stands. As soon as he's off, I can move his stuff off and substitute mine in far less time than it takes to load up and adjust all his stuff. Because I did all my adjusting when he was still playing. Need a little space tho.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Because I did all my adjusting when he was still playing. Need a little space tho.
Yeah. I like that idea. While he's playing his last couple of songs, go up and adjust all the drums the way you like them.
Sorry, I could not help myself. I was visualizing this and I laughed out loud. LOL

Talk about rude!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
If I'm using someone else's kit, if there's just a little bit of storage room near the drums, IMO it's faster and way nicer for me to have my snare on my already adjusted stand, my hi hat stand all cymbaled up and height adjusted, my pedal, throne, and maybe even 2 already adjusted loaded cymbal stands. As soon as he's off, I can move his stuff off and substitute mine in far less time than it takes to load up and adjust all his stuff. Because I did all my adjusting when he was still playing. Need a little space tho.
Exactly what I do when using someone else's kit :)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 PM

I actually had the opposite issue when a bar owner (known for stiffing bands and other such things) told me I had to use a house kit and forbid me to use my cymbals and instead use his amazing Meinl HCS cymbals.

I explained that it's usually the custom to change out cymbals, but he didn't want people handling his cymbals. I'm curious how he thought I would mishandle his stock cymbals when I had $1,200 worth that I was about to put on the kit...
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, I do the same, and it's always great when you learn that the whole setup is like 5-7 inches off and you're going to be adjusting the stand, and your throne!

At least that's me... I'd always rather adjust my stuff than anything on the loaned kit. This goes for tuning, too. Plenty of times I've dealt with horrible sounding toms on the loaner rather than deal with the guy's crying when he can't play with any actual resonance or tone. Once you get real used to the completely dead sound then anything else sounds a bit jarring, I guess.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Silver Member

I'm now significantly less generous than I was when this thread first started a few months back.
My first ever gig with my brand new Mapex Saturn and I kit shared with a guy who I know and consider to be sensible and reliable. He misaligned his bass pedal and played his set, the end result is a bass drum hoop with an ugly one inch gouge on the inward surface of it which I see whenever I set up. And yet I can play a kit for an entire year and sell it on (as I did to fund the Saturn) and have it pass for new.
Anyone who didn't spend several hundreds of pounds on a kit as I did can pass it off as a "one off" but that's it for me. I'm playing a bike rally later in the month and there's a band on before us. I couldn't care less about any hassle it might involve, I'm using my kit and he's using his.